Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cranks for Rohloff
  • Nicknoxx
    Free Member

I’m planning my Rohloff build and looking for cranks. I was hoping to use track cranks because then I can use a decent square taper BB but the chainline is only 42mm and the Rohloff needs 54mm which would mean a very long BB spindle.

So, mtb cranks looks like the way to go using just the outside ring.

Suggestions?

Ta

Denis99
    Free Member

I use a XT Hollowtech II with the 38T chain ring in the outer position (where the big ring would be).

This seems to be a fairly standard set up amongst the Rohloff users, who’ll be along shortly. Works fine, except for the short’ish life from the Hollowtech bearings…..well documented here.

topangarider
    Free Member

Middleburn cranks with one of their 38T dh ring on the outer.

Stoner
    Free Member

Middleburn outer ring position on a dual or triple spider will give you a 54mm chainline. However, a number of smaller chainrings will not fit behind the crank arm on the 5-arm spider. A downhill middleburn ring with the notch cut out at the right place will be best.
    I use a 36t middleburn standard ring and that just fits. A hardcoat ring wont fit though – too thick. I havent tried a 4-arm yet.

Middleburn chainlines work with 113mm BBs although some have said that for a 73mm shell a 115mm BB is better for the extra little clearance you may need.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Yebbut, the Middleburn DH rings are fugly.

Stoner
    Free Member

the larger diameter ones are a bit fugly I agree.
    36T I think looks OK since the depth of the plate is so much shallower.

You can of course always file a rebate away in any preferred chainring if it doest quite fit behind the crank arm in the outer position – it wouldnt need much material removal, it is a very close miss.

snaps
    Free Member

I don’t think they’re fugly, fdirty, but not fugly!

Stoner
    Free Member

that would look so much better if the ring was in the outer position snaps! 🙂 but we’ve already had this argument… 😉

snaps
    Free Member

Nah the ring looks to large, I think the spider breaks it up nicely, I might fit one of the different colour spiders if I get bored this weekend.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cranks for Rohloff’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM