Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Crankbros 5050XX Rebuild Help Needed
  • Sidney
    Free Member

Right Gents (and ladies)

I bought a rebuild kit for some 505xx pedals after my RH pedal started sticking and have hit two issues whilst trying to do the rebuild.

1. Plastic insert on RH pedal that is removed by 8mm hex has rounded off. Any tips on how to remove it?
    2. After removing plastic insert on LH pedal, successfully removed nut and instructions say pull out spindle. It’s not just a case of pulling it out and I’m concerned if I bash the spindle at the thin end I could end up damaging it. Should it just pull out or do I have to MTFU and bash it harder?

Ta

Sidney
    Free Member

Bumpety Bump!

PaulD
    Free Member

S,

Have a look at the CB site to see the details of your internals.
    Then work out how to push the pedal apart without a hammer or damaging the threads.
    I believe the plastic bush on Candy and Eggbeaters can be removed with a 7/16″ drill by hand.

http://www.crankbrothers.com/support/support_pedals.php

PaulD

foxyrider
    Free Member

I did a quick article on old Candys – most of which is pretty similar all round i.e. internals except the clips?

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/crank-brothers-candy-pedal-service.htm

1. Wack a Torx bit in that’s is sl bigger.
    2. Just tap it out – if its rusty it may explain why its tight?

Sidney
    Free Member

Thanks for the hints!

Sidney
    Free Member

Thanks.

Progress has been made.

1. Had to resort to banging a chisel into the plastic bush in order to have some grip to twist it out. It worked fine, though risky strategy in case you damage the thread etc.
    2. Attached pedal to crank arm and gave it a couple of knocks with a rubber mallet. That freed it.

The needle bearing on the originially stiff pedal are shagged and it won’t come out. It has semi disintegrated in my attempts to remove it (including some screwdriver shaped indents in the kitchen tabl). Got someone to ask the workshop for a favour. Fingers crossed otherwise I will probably have to write it off!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Crankbros 5050XX Rebuild Help Needed’ is closed to new replies.