Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Cracking hotels with a sea view
  • Spud

It’s our 10th anniversary this September and Mrs Spud will have finished her treatment for breast cancer, we’re planning on a weekend sans kids. Which small, great quality pubs or hotels have you stayed in that overlook the sea? Preferably within a max of 4 hours from Nottingham. Let’s have your thoughts please.

bearnecessities

It’ll cost you 😀

http://www.caryarms.co.uk/

paladin

Crinan hotel. Maybe just outside the 4 hours tho

Trailseeker
    Free Member
    wingnuts

This is the most expensive two nights of my life. Worth every penny!

Mrs wing nuts found out how much it cost a couple of days before we went and wanted to cancel. Then she saw the bath. No telly etc so really different.

We’re going back for my next big birthday.

Home

And it was for our tenth as well.

Houns
    konagirl
    Free Member

I’ve been recommended the Crown in Southwold for accommodation and food, although you have to wander 100m down to the Nelson for sea views from the pub. Not cheap either, but definately intimate.

You could get to West Wales in about 4 hours. There are some gorgeous coves around though unfortunately I can’t recommend anywhere in particular as we usually camp. But Llangrannog, New Quay, Aberdovey and up to Morfa Nefyn and Anglesey will have lots of options. The St Brides hotel in Saundersfoot does good food and has the views.

Or you could get to the North York Moors coast in less than 3 hours. Staithes, Robin Hood’s Bay and Runswick Bay are all very picturesque and romantic while Whitby makes a nice day out.

sgn23
    Free Member

L’Horizon in Jersey. Right on the beach. Just over an hour’s flight from East Midlands. Though not small.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Mrs Spud will have finished her treatment for breast cancer

Great bit of news that, you can borrow my campervan and go to any seaside setting with that great bit of news…

burko73

The Alexandra in Lyme Regis. Independant, modern and fresh but with an old school feel. Very nice and relaxed. Great views of the Cob.

Spud

Cheers UFG, will bear it mind. Flying isn’t a bad idea, although we’re not sure what the situation will be with travel insurance yet.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Burgh Island is rather special when the tide’s in and the grockels bugger off!

What about the Victoria at Holkham? The Harbour at Salcombe? (Travel time may be an issue there, as with Burgh)

midlifecrashes

How about the Midland Hotel in Morecambe? Looked fantastic on my way to the Travelodge last week. Big art deco right on the front with massive views of the bay and the mountains of the lake district.

revs1972
    Free Member

Camelot Castle in Tintagel.
    We have been there, but have not stayed there yet , but does look good.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Another vote for burgh island.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Burgh Island! I’ve just checked the website & there must be some VERY well off people on here!.

Me, for views & good wholesome grub I’d be trying http://www.onich-fortwilliam.co.uk/index.asp

Never stayed but had a good feed there & if/when the weathers ok the views are outstanding.
    More than 4 hours from Nottingham but once you get to Callander the journey’s outstanding too.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Friends highly recommended Burgh Island to me.

Landmark Trust’s Luttrels Tower near New Forest – not a hotel but something quite different. From memory they have some places on East Coast, old forts right on the beach

Luttrels Tower

wingnuts

Burgh Island is expensive but vvv special. If you can scrap it together you won’t regret it.

TooTall
    Free Member

I sent my missus to stay in the Midland Hotel because she loves art deco and needed a break for a couple of nights. She loved it more than anywhere else she has stayed, so I’ll second the recommendation up there.

birky
    Free Member

It’s well outside your 4hr limit but … http://www.applecross.uk.com/inn/index.htm

scandalous
    Free Member

Downcliffe hotel, Filey.

Lovely

abbot
    Free Member

+1 for watersmeet. Not sure if north Devon is within 4 hours though.

Pro tip, prior to dinner run down into the bay and write something obscene on the sand. Then enjoy listening to everyone commenting on it in the restaurant!

More grown up individuals have used the same opportunity to write something nice…

lunge

The Tolcarne Beach appartments are really nice. Not mega lavish but waking up in the beach is awesome.

wallop

Camelot Castle in Tintagel.
    We have been there, but have not stayed there yet , but does look good.

Run by scientologists.

revs1972
    Free Member

Mmm, may need to revise our thinking on that one after googling it 😯

agent007
    Free Member

These ones both within 4 hours from Nottingham.

Harbourmaster

Lighthouse

wonnyj
    Free Member

The Imperial in Ten by

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Cracking hotels with a sea view’ is closed to new replies.