Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cracked rear hope pro 2 hub shell
  • SiB
    Free Member

Rear wheel felt a bit strange on commute in this morning so stopped to have a look and there before me was a huge crack from edge to edge on the rear hub shell so thats when my commute on bike came to an end and on foot commute began.

I’ve heard Hope are v v good with customer service so I’m going to get in touch with them as you never know what they might say/offer (fingers crossed).

Its a thick piece of metal and it looks like it must have taken a good few nasty knocks to crack it but I’ve done nothing but tame xc the last few months and definitley no nasty/heavy knocks on rear wheel.

Has anybody else experienced the same? Anybody contacted Hope about this in the past?

Have nothing but good words to describe my other Hope products, I’m just a bit miffed as to why this has cracked and what could have caused it?

Thanks

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

“They all do that sir”

Yep. Happened on my wife’s bike. I sent them the wheel back and insisted they rebuild it for me which they did to their credit.

oxym0r0n

They are good but their wheel building was well behind schedule a month or two back ~ took over a month to replace a rim under warranty 🙁

scruff
    Free Member

Common, I’ve had 2 go. They have good customer service due all the practise…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Common, I’ve had 2 go. They have good customer service due all the practise…

Totally agree. I’ve sent more stuff back to Hope than every other other cycle component manufacturer put together.
    To the point where I got tired of it and stopped buying their products.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Mine has just been sent off to Hope after a cracked flange was spotted while wheel was being rebuilt, heard nowt but good stuff about customer service and they’ve always been good to me in the past for smaller issues.

SiB
    Free Member

Thanks for replies, I’m going to contact Hope to see what they have to say and in the meantime buy a 2nd hand rear wheel with 9 speed cassette on (because no doubt the one I have now will be sunk in to rear freehub and will be a bugger to get off!)………so is anybody selling a half decent rear wheel with 9 speed cassette on??

oreetmon
    Free Member

ive got 3 bikes (ht, fs, dh) all with hope hubs, HS, BB stems seat clamps and rotors some new some second hand and have never had any problems with any of them. 1 set of hubs is still running original 2007 bearings on a winter LT hard tail that I leave under the lean-to all year round for the rain to wash the mud away.

nu-nu-na-nu-nu 😛

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mine did that, took about 10 days to turn arround with a new (evo) hub. Not bad for a 2nd hand wheel!

I’ve sent more stuff back to Hope than every other other cycle component manufacturer put together.

+1, because they actualy fix it.

Avid – comes back just as bad as it went in (“weren’t bled correctly”, great, so how do you explain why they still don’t work then?)
    Superstar – blames the user (fitted with a rock/jetwash/octopus)
    Etc –

SiB
    Free Member

oreetmon…..3 bikes here too all with hope hubs, couple of HS and couple of BB, all with Hope clamps and qr, never had a problem either until this morning…..but this has not put me off buying Hope hubs again.

Northwind

It is normal Hope- fix the failure but don’t fix the underlying design fault. Could be worse, could be better. I did like their style last time I broke a pro 2 axle, “here have an extra one for the next time it happens”

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Yes, seen 3 broken now, including one going bang on the last tarmac descent to llanberris from Snowdon, which was lucky. All replaced by Hope.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

mine did that

really really annoying as it was that, that caused my long serving creak!!! it cost me a fortune trying new mechs/chains/cassettes etc and in the end i found a hairline crack on the hub where the spoke meets (flange i think its called)

sent it into hope and came back with a new shell and rebuilt wheel

first ride out and i had silence!! so id endured all the good months and months of nice summer weather with a massively pissing me off creak (i hate creaks!) not enjoying the rides due to the noise, only for it to be something so simple that i simply couldnt track down, only spotted it when giving the wheels a real good clean! grrrr!

so yeah it does seem quite common

shortcut

Yup done that.

jameso

Anyone had this happen to a Hope trails/SS rear?
    Was aware a few went but maybe not this many. Hoping the spoke tension difference -lower on driveside / equalised- may prevent it on the 2 I have. Not many options for that type of hub unf.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

9 year old BULBS ftw

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cracked rear hope pro 2 hub shell’ is closed to new replies.