Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Cracked 2011 cube raction GTC frame what's it worth?
  • reidy
    Free Member

I recieved my replacement frame so now have two, I’ve got to choose which one to ride and which to sell. most of you will be thinking ride the new sell the old obviously… but after having this frame fail on me, I’d rather have £400 in my back pocket and potentially break the repaired 2011 frame.

A frame repair sits in at roughly £130 or £40ish if I do it myself, so what’s the used frame worth? including pressfit BB & Headset

The crack is a hairline fracture in the top tube BTW

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Pics.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hair line.

Brake lever top tube interface in crash ?

charliedontsurf

You can repair a cracked carbon top tube?
    You want to sell a cracked carbon frame!
    Who buys cracked carbon frames?

I personally would not buy, sell or ride a compromised frame. It’s not worth the risk. If it fails it could kill you, or the lorry behind you will kill you. And if you sell it, it can kill someone else.

It’s normal practice to remove the damaged frame from circulation. I am surprised cube don’t want it back, Or proof it’s destroyed. Some companies ask you to saw out the bb area to prove its been taken out of circulation.

Cube have replaced your frame because it is arsed and dangerous. it is a write off. They didn’t replace it so you can trade it on.

You know those TV shows where dodgy traders are exposed for selling written off cars, or out of date meat…

To answer your question, what’s it worth? Nothing. I see it as a risk and a liability not an asset.

wwaswas

I’m surprised they didn;t ask for the old one back or evidence it had been put beyond use.

munrobiker
    Free Member

A carbon frame repaired professionally will be as good as new. I have ridden one and while you could see the spot where it was repaired it was seamless when you ran a finger over it, and very tough. It’s like saying you shouldn’t ride a steel frame that Bob Jackson has cut the top tube out of then welded a new one in.

It’ll be fine, but I would sell it on before repairing it. Let the buyer do it at their own risk. The main reason for this is- if it cracks again, what are you going to say to Cube when you want it warrantying again? I cracked the frame you replaced?

reidy
    Free Member

Trialrat, it would’ve been but I had those riser bars of course on and not the XC flats… of course… 😉

Surprised you have never heard of some one repairing a carbon frame charlie? given you own a shop, obviously its not my intention to sell on a dangerous frame, but people have varying ideas of what’s safe and what’s not, i.e. riding a BMX on the road with no brakes… I would have no qualms about riding it in its current state.

I think munro is about right selling it for someone to repair so they have 100% confidence it hasn’t been botched by a ghetto DIY job

But the big question still lies, what’s it worth?

is £190 unreasonable?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-Cube-Reaction-GTC-Carbon-Hardtail-Race-Frame-/350689060980?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item51a6b26874

Junkyard
    Free Member

i have bought acracked alloy frame before – seatpost and just drilled to stop it spreading

I would not want that frame if you wanted to send it too me for free

That is a fair length crack on a safety critical part of the bike

if you must sell then it needs a proper pofessional repair job and some sort if indemnity guarantee that is transferable

As charlie notes it has been replaced because it is not fit for use
    Saw it in half and throw it away is my genuine advice here.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Without closer inspection its not easy to make any judgment. That looks like pretty superficial damage. Send it away get it checked and repaired if possible, then keep it ride it and enjoy it, sell the good one, or better still keep it and build an awesome SS.

schmiken

I’d give you a tenner for it.

watsontony
    Free Member

Take that offer^^

IanMunro
    Free Member

Piano needs tuning.

pjm84
    Free Member

I’d give you a tenner for it.

I have a Giant XTC Advanced frame in the garage you can have for a £10!

tpbiker
    Free Member

£190 quid for a frame that has a sizable crack in the top tube!!!!??? As junkyard says, I wouldn’t take that off your hands for free I’m afraid to say.

That should be in the bin.

phinbob

Carbon is actually one of the more repairable frame materials, there was an interesting article in DirtRag, I think, or one of the US magazines.

There were at least 4 or 5 shops doing top quality frame repairs.

I’m not saying that the frame is repairable, just that the knee jerk reaction of ‘kill it with fire’ might not be based on facts.

charliedontsurf

Ignoring the ethics of selling on repaired carbon. Ignore that. Look at the maths…

Repair £130
    Sending it off for repair £20, assuming its not local.
    Sell at £190 (unlikely IMO )
    eBay fees £20
    PayPal £6

Profit £14

If you want £14 buy four less pints this month.

And that is why you should hang it in the shed as a souvenir of your gnarliness.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’d buy it if I was in the market for a hardtail

schmiken

I have a Giant XTC Advanced frame in the garage you can have for a £10!

Pics?

billyblackheart
    Free Member

I’m always surprised at the carbon fibre fear, It reminds me of the start of ‘2001’ where the monkeys are jumping up and down at the sight of the monolith.

Carbon is one of the best materials to repair even though to be honest the repair might be a bit fugly because they’ll be hard pressed to match the cube graphics.

ndthornton
    Free Member

monolith

I reckon you would be a bit shaken up if you came across a strange looking extra-terrestrial machine in the middle of nowhere.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’m not saying that the frame is repairable, just that the knee jerk reaction of ‘kill it with fire’ might not be based on facts

Everything is theoretically repairable but it has been written off by the manufacturers as broken

I’m always surprised at the carbon fibre fear

What makes you so sure i dont have a carbon fibre bike?

billyblackheart
    Free Member

What makes you so sure i dont have a carbon fibre bike?

I wasn’t aware I had insinuated that you didn’t?

The fear I was referring to was to some of the general frame failing, not if it was free, unethical to sell, dead under a bus, beyond use type remarks over what looks like a fairly superficial crack in the lacquer!

chief9000
    Free Member

I would be very wary of making a repair yourself if you don’t have the knowhow. Equally I would also be wary of sending it to one of the many people who claim to be able to repair frames. Indeed from an aesthetic point of view, a frame might be repaired, but the question is has it been done properly? How many layers were used? are they the right length? are they the right orientation? will it basically stand up to the loadings in that area. Also, in some cases, like that of the seat stay, if one has broken, its also likely that the other has also been damaged. Damage to carbon bikes can not always be seen.

There are far too many garage bodgers out there. be careful and look for one with know how, I believe there is one out there who does ultrasonic testing, and experience.

lightman
    Free Member

I really don’t get why people chime in on a subject they know nothing about and give totally wrong advice, and think they’re right!

Carbon repair is pretty straight forward for a company who knows what they’re doing, and that crack is something most competent people could probably do themselves.
    Gallery.
    How to do it yourself.

Im always on the look out for broken carbon stuff on ebay, but have yet to find a broken frame that would fit me, so far I have only bought and repaired a Zipp 440 which had a spoke ripped through the rim.
    On ebay you should expect to get £50-£100 for the frame, you might get more if you get a couple bidding against each other, but £190 is totally unrealistic if you can get another identical frame for double that.

Everything is theoretically repairable but it has been written off by the manufacturers as broken

Its just like most accident damaged cars, the manufacturer has decided its not worth their time/money to repair it, but if someone has the time and experience, they can do it themselves.
    This frame/most carbon frames don’t cost much in the first place, so its not really worth their time to repair it, unless it is of course a really top end frame.

pjm84
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/i-want-my-seatpost-to-fit-better-to-prolong-the-life-of

I rode it for a while but after swapping the Thomson it was horrible. Too stiff even for me. Now run 29er so two fingers to Giant.

Downside is you have to collect if you want it otherwise I’m going to Dremmel it and send a longitudinal slice back to Giant!

schmiken

What size is it and where are you based?

charliedontsurf

There is a reason why all bikes have to pass EU testing. How many carbon repairers will scan or test their work? I dunno,

Fixing it for yourself to ride is fine, at worst it’s natural selection, at best it’s all a bargain.

Today I had my first ever surly frame warranty in 8 years, fresh frame with me tomorrow, but they want pictures of the old one sawn up. Which causes me to ask what cube (not a brand, it’s just a shape) are expecting you to do. Their warranty refers to a frame “exchange”. So maybe CRC are not hot on this subject, but don’t sell it on. The risk outweighs the benefit a million times.

Ok, you loved the frame, you liked everything about it…the way it moved, it’s hot looks between your legs… But it’s time to let go, cry a bit, and move on… Let it pass peacefully to the other side of the shed. LET GO.

plecostomus
    Free Member

Saw it up and make some form of coffe table or umbrella stand out of it. I’ve worked in the bike industry for 10 years. Any warranty frame the distributor always either wants it back or the bb she’ll cut out so it can’t be used. You got a new frame and somehow got to keep the damaged one. Sell the new one and get rid of the old one. How come you got to keep it anyway? Did they never ask for it back or it to be left with your local cube dealer?

walleater

This guy gets plenty of business in Vancouver…

http://www.robertscomposites.com/bike.html

I’ve seen various frames that he’s fixed. They look like new and have never come back.

pjm84
    Free Member

What size is it and where are you based?

L (20in) – In Southampton

theblackmount
    Free Member

As others have said there is world of difference between the OP repairing or having the frame repaired (and riding it himself) and passing it off as having been satisfactorily repaired. Besides, there isn’t enough intrinsic value in that particular frame to make the latter a viable proposition.

Finding the car repair analogy quite amusing – there are many innocents driving around in cut and shut deathtraps.

This is not an insurance write off it’s a warranty issue. Very surprised at Cube’s laissez-faire attitude – they have a brand rep to protect. IMO they should only have delivered up the new frame on receipt of the fcuked one.

schmiken

pjm84 – Rather than spamming up the post can you send me an email? Address is in profile 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

{quote]what looks like a fairly superficial crack in the lacquer!

[/quote]

You are aware the manufacture replaced it due to this superificial lacquer crack – odd they would do this for a cosmetic reason

charliedontsurf

Reidy… What became of this… Is it fixable?

Be interesting to see what the verdict is from a pro carbon repairer.

reidy
    Free Member

Still on the to-do list not even got the new frame put together, just stripped the parts off the old one today

as for is it repairable almost 100% yes
    check this http://www.carbonframerepair.com/wp-content/gallery/frame-repairs/img_1861.jpg

& http://www.carbonframerepair.com/index.php/repair-gallery/ for more carbon related death

as commented on earlier I don’t think I will send it off to be repaired, I might send the pics to a workshop see what they quote just for interest sake.

will update in due course

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Cracked 2011 cube raction GTC frame what's it worth?’ is closed to new replies.