Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • I want my seatpost to fit better to prolong the life of….
  • pjm84
    Free Member

I’m contemplating gluing my seatpost into my Giant Advanced carbon frameset. Bear with me on this.

The top part of the seatpost has not cracked but is flexing, like a carbon fishing rod, hence the paint crack and no carbon crack. (I’ve removed paint from this area to verify this). The lower, assumed paint crack, is a result from the bottom of the Thompson seatpost. The frame does not have any noticeable flex or creak even with my 16.5 stone bulk.

I’ve changed the seatpost today, from a Thompson 410mm, to a Gusset XXL – 450mm long. That’s 180mm in the frame / 270mm sticking out. However with both this and the Thompson post you can pivot the post in the frame, before clamping, indicating a slightly larger diameter to the seat tube below the “clamping zone”. Hence the corresponding paint crack lower down on the tube. I want to eliminate this to gain full benefit of having more seatpost in the frame . I was thinking of a low viscosity epoxy adhesive, maybe too thick, or alternative a carbon assembly paste. I’ve also got to get it past the “clamping” zone which will act like a wiper.

Or just ride it until it breaks.

andyl
    Free Member

I would suggest your frame is already broken.

maybe get a quote from a carbon repair place who may be able to overwrap it or how about a warranty claim? What is the warranty on the Giant frames?

druidh
    Free Member

That’s not just cracked!
    That frame is no more!
    It has ceased to be!
    It’s expired and gone to meet it’s maker!
    It’s a stiff! :irony:
    THAT IS AN EX-FRAME!!

pjm84
    Free Member

The nature of the damage has been progressive for over a year and was viewed in Sept 2011 by an LBS as cosmetic.

Giant’s warranty is not worth the paper it written on. As I’ve changed a component (the seatpost) the frame is not covered under warranty. It also only covers manufacturer defect, ie cracking in straight lines.

Trust me. If the frame rode any different to what it did from day one then it would be straight in the skip.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I really wouldn’t ride that if I were you…

druidh
    Free Member

pjm84 – Member
    The nature of the damage has been progressive for over a year and was viewed in Sept 2011 by an LBS as cosmetic.

Your LBS has proper facilities for analysing this? I’m impressed. We didn’t have anything like that in the LBS I worked in.

andyl
    Free Member

Sept 2011 by an LBS

ah the local bike shop. Well known for it’s expertise in failure of composites….

Contact a carbon repair place for a quote. They will be able to give you some proper advice and have probably seen such problems before.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

that is DEAD! the resin has started to break. (its brittle)

pjm84
    Free Member

Will ask a carbon repairer on Monday.

Your LBS has proper facilities for analysing this

The LBS eye test! Giant warranty did the same. i.e visual.

Once I got the bike back I picked the paint away to see if it corresponded to a crack.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Glue a long carbon post in there it’ll be reet 😉

unovolo
    Free Member

That’s fecked ,unless you can bond a very long seat post in then I would start shopping for a new frame.
    Some nice deals at Planet X at the mo.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘I want my seatpost to fit better to prolong the life of….’ is closed to new replies.