Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Crack of doom or scratch in topcoat?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

My one (ageing) MTB (’08 P7) was getting the spring go-over yesterday and I noticed a few rusty stains on the paint, mostly around the braze-on bosses, cable guides etc. So reminded that is due for a good look inside and possible respray as soon as time and funds allow. No biggie. But then I noticed this at the top of the seatstay:

image host image host

As it runs counter to the joint I’m assuming it’s just a deep scratch in coating. Grateful if any knowledgeable bods could weigh in with opinions ie will I die in the flaming wreckage 😬

*Orange want £200 for a respray, yoiks! At least I’d get free decals.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Looks like a scratch, It doesn’t follow the weld line.

dovebiker

Looks like a paint crack – cracks rarely start in the middle of nowhere, they usually start from a point of weakness / stress raiser

montgomery
    Free Member

Just a scratch. This is a cracked weld:

As was this:

And, if you don’t notice it early enough under the mud, this happens…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

As hoped, phew. Thnks all. Back to happy polishing!

lovewookie

@montgomery, what’s that, two fishers and a trek?

montgomery
    Free Member

Two Fisher Supercalibers and a Klein Attitude – had a run of bad luck in the early noughties, but still find myself clearing mud away from BB welds for a look if I’ve got a hard-to-diagnose creak.

gooner69

That link in pic led me to a page full of shite and then a “windows locked out page” that started saying “to unlock call blah blah blah and give us some money etc”

Best check that out op

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Crack of doom or scratch in topcoat?’ is closed to new replies.