Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Cotic Solaris Owners – Show me yours ……
  • ska-49
    Free Member

All looking rather nice. My inner Cotic fan is tempted.
    What weights are they building into?

letmetalktomark

ska-49 – Member

What weights are they building into?

My XL with Flows, Ardents etc is 29lbs, weighed today.

campbellwalsh
    Free Member

Hi, does anyone have the new size SMALL frame? Hows it riding? Can you please put a photo up to see how it looks built up?

Bregante

Apologies for the thread resurrection but I’ve just got round to finishing my Solaris build off and I’m quite chuffed. Built entirely with parts off the classifieds, it’s replaced my Karate Monkey (which will be sadly missed, however it’s one in one out from now on 🙁 )

Looking forward to getting a ride in one night this week hopefully 🙂
    And yes, brakes need shortening but CBA

Untitled by redmancunian69, on Flickr

Untitled by redmancunian69, on Flickr

lloydy123
    Free Member

XT groupset, triple with 22T granny
    XT brakes, 203mm front rotor & 180mm rear
    RS Pike 120mm fork
    Hope BB, headset and hubs with stans arch rims
    Contintental mountain king black chili tyres tubeless
    Thompson seat post

NormalMan

Good to see some in this thread I hadn’t seen before.

I posted this recently (mine is in their) http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/calling-all-cotic-solaris-owners

It was quicker than finding a link to the pictures of mine as I’m on my way out!

Lummox

this thread makes me sad, on a side note if anyone fancies chopping in their XL frame, possibly for a ‘new’ large get in touch (subject to insurance sorting me out)

bol

I know where there is a nice xl frame in orange going begging. In fact it’s the one on page one of this thread. Streetlife Cycles in Norwich. Ask for Alex and say Oli sent you. I’m sure he’d swap it for a new large.

Lummox

Awesome, I’ll get in touch ASAP.

bol

Drop me an email and I’ll give you his mobile number.

NormalMan

Duplicate post.

NormalMan

Here is another recent pic of mine 8)

irishdave
    Free Member

Did any body weigh their Large frame before they built it?
    How much was the real world weight?

dunmail
    Free Member

Did any body weigh their Large frame before they built it?
    How much was the real world weight?

I doubt a few grammes here and there is going to make much difference. According to Cotic the 19″ weighs 2.2Kg, for comparison the 17.5 Soul 26″ weighs 2Kg so 200 grammes less for a smaller wheel size AND frame. Assume that the large Solaris is an extra 100g (at most). My large frame built up weighs 12.7Kg and I went for usefulness when getting the components rather than the lightest as I’d rather things lasted than willy-waving about weight.

oxym0r0n

Here’s mine, that didn’t make it to the thread last time – now with fabric flat saddle

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oKFVyA]IMG_0535[/url] by oxym0r0n, on Flickr

roverpig

Have I not posted mine? How remis of me 🙂

tootallpaul

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oSHqR4]IMG_20140910_182854[/url] by too_tall_paul, on Flickr

NormalMan

Well here is another one of mine then 😉

@ tootallpaul – what width bars do you have?

I did try out some bar ends when I got back from holiday recently as I picked these up in what looked like the Portuguese version of Sport Direct!

I tried the white ones on the stock (my bike was a complete build) RaceFace Ride bars. But the bars felt narrow (710mm after the Fatbar lite @ 740mm but feeling narrower once the bar ends were fitted obviously) and the reach short (60mm stem) and yet somehow the bar ends too wide to feel comfy hacking through the woods.

I guess my old school roots have to stop at steel!

tootallpaul

I think they are 740 – Mt Zoom Carbon flat XL’s.

NormalMan

Thanks.

I’m guessing by your username that you aren’t exactly vertically challenged and therefore have long arms?

I just have to add how pleased I am with the Solaris. Such a nice bike to ride. I took out my old steel retro rocket the other week (after covering about 20 miles on the Cotic earlier in the day) and, unlike with previous ‘modern’ bikes I’ve owned the wow factor I felt from that old Fisher seemed to lessen and I wanted to be back on the wagon wheeled Cotic!

Guess I’ve found the right bike for me. Finally.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Here’s mine two years ago when new. Now sporting a newer SLX drivetrain with Shadow+ mech. Fantastic bike. In fact now my only bike which says a lot.

<looking for excuses> Does my Solaris need a dropper post and 120mm forks though? </looking for excuses>

Sorely tempted. Also considering moving to a 1×10 setup with 34T N/W ring.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I have a dropper post for my solaris – but I only use it on trips away. On my local trails I would rather keep things simple and stick with a nice light carbon post

re fork length – I’m actually considering going the other way. I currently have some 120mm x-fusion slides, but want to try some SIDs and think I might get 100mm ones.

I’m actually considering having 2x “builds” for my solaris – XC/ local (crests, rockst rons, 100mm SIDs, carbon post) and “Trips away to rockier places” (Flows, tougher tyres, 120mm forks and dropper post)

NormalMan

Mine is 1×10 I am very happy with the set up (coming from previous 2×10 set up on a different 29er).

I also keep having the ‘should I have gone for 120mm forks’ thought process/questioning myself!*

*also known as doing a Roverpig – only joking RP 😉

roverpig

Guilty as charged 🙂

I’m in the 120mm but 100mm curious camp. I was even toying with the idea of going for 100mm forks but adding an angleset to keep the head angle the same (but lower the bottom bracket). Think I’ll just ride it for a bit first though.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

For the record, my gen 1 Solaris in large weighed 4.9lbs

bigblackshed

I’d be interested to hear from anyone that has had both 100mm and 120mm forks on the same bike. What the difference was, good, bad, different?

I’m really tempted by a Soul, rode a few and it was like a, geared, nicer version of my Sanderson Soloist. But being extra lanky, and crap at SS, maybe a Solaris would be better for me. But I quite like the idea of 120mm forks and the associated slacker HA.

Thoughts?

NormalMan

Although as well as thinking about 120mm forks, I’d still like to know if any Solaris owners have:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-used-their-solaris-for-xc-racing-or-endurance-marathon-races

Maybe the thread got missed by some posting on this one, etc.

dazh

Although as well as thinking about 120mm forks, I’d still like to know if any Solaris owners have:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-used-their-solaris-for-xc-racing-or-endurance-marathon-races

I’ve used mine for one hour midweek races, 60k enduros (the old type) and solo at MM. Got Fox Talas 100mm/120mm forks on it. Probably not stiff enough for full on short races (I’m very much a ‘hobbyist’ racer rather than someone with any pretensions at winning anything) but is fine for longer ones. It can be built pretty light with decent parts. Works fine for everything with 100mm forks but is definitely better on the downhills with 120mm IMO.

NormalMan

Thanks Dazh.

Here is what I said in that thread as it explains where I’m at in the thought process:

I’m not a serious racer by a long shot but gave thought about some kind of event with my son. He is super fit and I have to rely on years of technique to keep the balance! But we have thought of doing some kind of ‘big’ (endurance) event together. He has my old 29er, a Spesh Carve Expert.

My Solaris build isn’t too bad. 100mm forks, 1×10 XT with Hope N/W, xt brakes, Hope tech xc pro 2 wheels, etc.

dunmail
    Free Member

For the record, my gen 1 Solaris in large weighed 4.9lbs

Is 4.9 lbs 4lbs9oz or 4lbs14.4oz?

Just easier to use metric really 🙂

sundaytrucker
    Free Member

Man do I want one of these bikes! I am always too late for the large frames that end up in the classifieds.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Solaris Owners – Show me yours ……’ is closed to new replies.