Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Corned beef – how do you like yours?
  • schrickvr6
    Free Member

Corned beef hash, proper winter comfort food.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just remembered I’ve got 3 big portions of CBH in the freezer! Happy days.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Corned beef and sliced tomato with salad cream in a sandwich made up from both ‘crusts’ of a fresh Warbies toastie loaf. The decadence…

p7eaven
    Free Member

* doublepost

thols2

It’s vile ****. I wouldn’t feed it to a dog.

p7eaven
    Free Member

It would still be absolutely fine when opened if left that long though. Perfect zombie apocalypse grub. You couldn’t do that with poncey artisan charcuterie!

Cross-posted comment of the century 🤣😂

TinnedBrexit Brisket

I’m not going defend it.

twonks

As the post above, corned beef is one of those food stuffs that people seem to love or absolutely despise 😀

Personally I love it and the fave is simple, complete with even more hated products.

Mix a tin into some boiled spuds for hash, roll out some pre made pastry and cut around a 6″ or so plate. Drop some mixture into one half of the circle, fold over and press the sides with a watered fork.

Cook at 190 degrees for 20 minutes and have two at once with some medium thick bisto gravy and HP sauce.

One regular tin of corned beef and enough spuds for mash for two makes about 8 or 9 pasties.

So many wrongs and chemicals I’m sure, but it tastes so nice I invariably have the last two for breakfast the day after – also taste goo rewarmed in a microwave. Slice in half and cook on full for 2 minutes. With said gravy they are possibly better than just baked.

thols2

As the post above, corned beef is one of those food stuffs that people seem to love or absolutely despise 😀

FTFY

scotroutes

Corned beef stovies.

p7eaven
    Free Member

The metaphor actually stretches a good way.

Eating tined corned beef is seen by the Brexitisketeer as a symbol of ‘rugged, non-nonsense British individualism’, when in reality it’s just a shuffle from the kerbside into Poundland to drop a quid on some Brazilian/generican tinned mush from corruption, calamity and cruelty central

A deforesting foodstuff which is a main driver behind both global warming and the growing monopoly-owned monoculture of tinned human beans…

…while, OTOH, going to the trouble to source, prepare, cure/cook your own food from scratch is seen by the Brexitisketeer as an unnecessary and suspicious affectation only practised by ‘foreign’ types or ‘fake’ people.

Whomever learned the trick of creating a canned product that is both responsible for* and representative of the coming zombie apocalypse is some kind of Inception-level evil genius.

https://beezlystreet.wordpress.com/2015/05/17/nigel-farage-to-be-recycled-into-greggs-pasties/

Propping Brazilian proto-fascists with your pocket-change in exchange for a bit of forest-burning fattymush is not really comment-worthy. Voting not to serve beefburgers in your school canteen is.

There can only be one of the two ‘Amazon’ remaining, come the apocalypse. But at least we’ll be able to source Prime tinned corned beef on next day delivery. And that’s convenient.

So up yours, eco-fascists! Hahaha 🤪

TiRed

In the dog. AKA tinned Myocardial infarction.

blokeuptheroad

Only on STW can a light hearted post about favoured comfort foods get you accused of being a brexiteer and all sorts of random judgements made about people’s values and politics based on a sandwich filling FFS! 😂

For the record, I love “poncey artisan charcuterie”, I’ve even had a go at making my own. It’s undoubtedly “better” in qualitative terms than tinned corned beef, but that’s not what this thread was about. Occasionally reaching for store cupboard comfort foods, and daring to enjoy them doesn’t make me a xenophobic brexiteer

p7eaven
    Free Member

^

Sorry OP. Had too much coffee and my inspired ‘Corned beef is a metaphor for Brexit ‘reverso-comedy/satire seems to have unsurprisingly choked on itself. It wasn’t name-calling.

Please file under ‘How not to re-do Phil Kaye’s ‘Garlic Bread?’ sketch’ (on caffeine and pre-apocalyptic politics)

As you were, OP. Will behave from now on. And in defence I did post one (non-poncey) tinned corned beef recipe 😇. Have reported my offending post as Spam.

blokeuptheroad

Fair enough 👍 As a knuckle dragging gammon intent on destroying the rainforest, humour cleverer than knock knock jokes goes right over my head! 😉 😀

One of my favourite foody books is “Food DIY” by Tim Haywood. I’ve made my own sausages, salami, chorizo, smoked cheese and all sorts from it. There is a recipe in there for salt beef which I keep meaning to have a go at.

I did have a salt beef sandwich from a deli in New York on a trip with my wife a few years ago. It was indeed memorable.

Edit:

Have reported my offending post as Spam.

Now that’s humour at my level, well played! 😆

damascus
    Free Member

I love corned beef.

My favourite is one pan corned beef hash. Potatoes over cooked so almost mushy, put to one side. Then fry onions, courgettes and anything else you have, add tinned tomatoes, oxo cube stock. Throw in the potatoes and corned beef. Eggs are optional.

Serve on a plate and eat with fresh white buttered bread, brown sauce and some grated cheese.

Always make too much and save this in the fridge for dinner the following day.

I do like it in sandwiches but I prefer tinned pek, reminds me of sandwiches my great aunty lily used to make me.

slowoldman

Phil Kaye?

blokeuptheroad

Peter’s lesser known but more gastronomically adventurous brother?

p7eaven
    Free Member
    slowoldman

Phil Kaye is a most inspiring cyclist

Wow yes. Very impressive (and unrecognisable).

captainclunkz
    Free Member

Corned beef hash pizza used to be one of my favourite foods as a student. I’ll occasionally make one nowadays but only when I’m hungover, which isn’t very often.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Corned beef – how do you like yours?’ is closed to new replies.