Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Corned beef – how do you like yours?
  • blokeuptheroad

Not everyone’s cup of tea I know, but I can’t be the only one with a lot of love for the humble corned beef. I have had “proper” home made corned beef, which was excellent, but the bog standard tinned stuff is a brilliant store cupboard staple. Mashed into the heart of a baked spud for instant hash. Sliced with some red onion and ground pepper on sourdough for a mega sandwich. In a toastie with a bit of cheese and onion so it melts. Give me some more inspiration!

dannybgoode

In a nice white bread sandwich with some Branston pickle or some brown sauce. Keep it simples 🙂

136stu
    Free Member

Love it but quite expensive for what it is. On a sandwich with branston pickle or corned beef hash.

136stu
    Free Member

Dannybgoode we must have the same recipe book!

montgomery
    Free Member

Slow cooked corned beef casserole with a dollop of lazy chilli.

Kuco

Beetroot and agree it’s got be white bread. Also very nice with a fried egg on top with a plateful of chips.

blokeuptheroad

Slow cooked corned beef casserole with a dollop of lazy chilli.

That sounds good 👍

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not had it for years, but a favourite was sliced below a pile of buttered, boiled ayrshire new potatoes, and a steaming pile of cabbage.

LeeW

For me, it has to be taken from the fridge (so it’s easier to slice from the can).

White break, green salad of choice and loads of English mustard. Haven’t had theat for probably 20 years, I must go buy a can now.

sharkattack

I only use it when we go camping. Mash it up and chuck it in a pan with beans and rice.

montgomery
    Free Member

That sounds good

It’s so good I’m going to buy a can on the way back from a dawn ride tomorrow and make it!

pondo

Sliced from the fridge, white bread, cold butter.

Design classic.

p7eaven
    Free Member

used to like it two ways. Both ridiculously delicious and comforting.

Method A: ‘Rover Strike’ spuds (so named as Dad worked for Austin Rover in the late 70s and this was at the time an economy meal we all looked forward to)

1. Cook jacket potato until skin is crispy. Halve and scoop out hot potato into a bowl. Add a curl of butter Add 3 slices of corned beef and mash loosely together with potato and butter. A little pepper.

2. Return mash to skins. Fork the tops into ridges as per a cottage pie. Top with grated cheese.

3. Return to hot oven until cheese golden and bubbly.

4. Serve with bangers.

Method B: The toasted reuben sandwich

Top sandwich when made with ‘proper’ (not tinned) corned beef. But made with tinned beef then toasted (sandwich-toaster or pan) is a very tasty thing indeed. Add sliced cornichons.

binners

Warbies toastie bread, loads of butter, sliced corned beef and these fiery little buggers

Or

Delia’s corned beef hash with fried eggs

Cut your corned beef into chunks in the morning and leave it soaking in Worcester sauce all day

Or, as mentioned on the toastie thread… corned beef, mature cheddar, onions and Worcester sauce. Best toastie ever!

I bloody love corned beef!

@p7eaven
    – I am most definitely going to be trying your dads ‘Rover Strike’ spuds recipe. That sounds ace! Try the delia’s corned beef hash recipe. It’s really good

zippykona

Between 2 slices of bread ,drowning in salad cream with a pack of golden wonder cheese and onion.

MoreCashThanDash

In a bun/roll/cob/whatever, with sweet piccalili.

Though following the toastie thread, it goes well in a toastie with good cheddar

slowoldman

Most of the above really, hash, onions, beetroot, all work well.

But where’s the corned beef pie?

blokeuptheroad

Some great ideas here, thanks. Rover strike spuds is the winner so far though!

northernsoul

Mixed in with baked beans, served with a generous portion of mash. Excellent after a long ride in winter. 👌

binners

But where’s the corned beef pie?

reminds me of going to my grand on a Saturday as a kid. She did an awesome corned beef and potato pie

honeybadgerx

Toasted sandwich with cheese and onion.
    Hotpot with corned beef and peas at the bottom.
    Corned beef and potato pie.
    Corned beef hash with baked beans mixed in and a couple of eggs cracked on top.

At least I know what’ll be on the shopping list this week now…

dknwhy

Fry it up with an onion, add some black pepper, tin of chopped tomatoes, tin of sweetcorn, add some Encona West Indian hot sauce. Simmer and then serve with rice.

Kuco

I use to have it as a kid on holiday camping, mashed together with spuds and then oxtail soup poured over it served with crusty bread.

Bruce

Yuck

andy4d

Has to be the’brown’ corned beef for me, none of the pink sh!t that masquerades as corned beef.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’m very much of the sandwich with brown sauce or camping mixed in with beans and tinned spuds.

Those strike spuds though!

sharkbait
    Free Member

In a nice white bread sandwich with some Branston pickle or some brown sauce. Keep it simples 🙂

This…. Exactly.

{You can also substitute corned beef for spam 😬}

blitz

1) Corned beef hash with ridiculous amounts of brown sauce

2) melted on to warbie’s bread under the grill

3) In a sourdough sandwich with branston pickle

lightfighter762
    Free Member

From Brazil. Eaten straight out of the can. Deep in the jungle.

rhyswilliams3
    Free Member

With chips or with salad

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Corned beef hash, sandwiches or the huge turkey and corned beef pies from my butcher.

woollybackpaul
    Free Member

Not sure if they still do it but Marks & Sparks chunky corned beef is a bang on.

Simple hash does it for me, equal measure of cubed CB and boiled spuds, mash the spuds & mix in the CB and a fried onion, salt, pepper, mixed herbs. Don’t mix it too much though. Grated cheese on top (Worcestershire Sauce if you fancy) then bang it under the grill. Serve with brown sauce and bread and butter.

In the unlikely event I find myself on death row this what I’ll be having 👍🏼

My mum used to make corned beef fritters and home made chips when I was young. Amazing!

scuttler

Bookmarked!

CountZero

In the can, at the back of a cupboard, preferably for a century or more.

burko73

A Greggs corned beef pastie is a guilty pleasure now and again. Could do with a little more corned beef in it though.

Always have a can in the cupboard/ fridge for when there nothing else to make sarnies out of. Love it in a decent granary bread sarnie with Dijon mustard and branston.

bearnecessities
    Free Member

With chips or with salad

This person is correct (apart from the salad bit).

Sliced corned beef, oven chips and branston pickle. It’s basically 5 of your 5 a day.

FB-ATB

Mum makes a tasty corned beef pie with decent sized chunks.

Dad used to do fried corned beef with runny egg and fried onions.

integra

With beetroot and salad cream on white bread. In a toasted sandwich with cheese and onion 👌
    Supprised by the amount of people who have it with beetroot, was always ridiculed for it but glad I’m not alone.

blokeuptheroad

In the can, at the back of a cupboard, preferably for a century or more.

It would still be absolutely fine when opened if left that long though. Perfect zombie apocalypse grub. You couldn’t do that with poncey artisan charcuterie!

p7eaven
    Free Member

‘can I get you a sandwich?’ <—- Immortal words. Marrying an American comes with many surprises. One of which is the time it takes them to make a sandwich. It’s a beautiful thing if you’re not in a hurry. It’s also an impressive thing if you’re not proud to admit that British sandwiches are characterised by 1. Proud underachievement and 2. Enthusiastic overstatement.

I don’t think I’d actually tried proper corned beef until Mrs P began shouting at me outside of a deli one day – ‘look, look, salt beef! I’m going to get you a sandwich?’

Seems it had taken me over 40 years to discover that ‘corned beef’ is from a tin in the same way that ‘pie’ is from a tin. OK when on Scout Camp in 1979, and/or as a filling complement to a packet of Bachelor’s Pasta n Sauce…but not real.

Tinned corned beef sandwich is – to actual corned beef sandwich, what a box of microwaveable micro-chips and some frozen fish fingers is – to a Friday night take-home fresh fish supper from ‘Ye Olde Cod’s Kitchen’

The sandwich https://www.oliviascuisine.com/classic-reuben-sandwich-recipe/

And how to make corned beef:

https://www.oliviascuisine.com/homemade-corned-beef-recipe/

I love me a tinned corned beef sandwich with brown sauce as much as the next Brit, but I’ll never forget that reuben sandwich as long as I live. And if anyone calls it a ‘ponce’, then I’ll call your expertly-cooked fish supper a ‘raving artisan’.

I agree with OP that a tin of that other stuff is excellent for emergencies and actually really good in baked spud. But it’s best served warm otherwise is just a slab of cold fat. However you slice it, the pictures speak for themselves:

Corned Beef:

Something:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Corned beef – how do you like yours?’ is closed to new replies.