Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Copying Excel cells to Word table – preserving column widths.
  • tthew

Odd one this.

I’m wanting to copy a table which originates in an Excel file into Word. When I’ve done this in the past I’m sure it’s moved across pretty much seamlessly keeping all the cell formatting, merged cells etc. This time however all the column widths are all to cock making the table look strange and running off the right hand side of the page. Some are wider than the original, some narrower. Doesn’t appear to be related to wrapping settings either, and I’ve tried the various paste options.

Google’s not given me any clues, hope one of you MS office wizards can. Ta.

Cougar

Do you need the data as text? Could just take a screenshot if not.

BoardinBob

Paste special > Microsoft Excel Worksheet Object

That works for me

Alternatively paste it then resize the columns in word.

tthew

Definitely need the text. I want to use this one point of entry to populate a data register and generate a Word based record sheet that can be added to as the task progresses.

I’ll try the paste special option, not sure I’ve tried that one. I intend this to be automated through an Excel macro, and there will be a number of tables, so resizing the columns in word would be a royal PIA.

Thanks.

footflaps

Paste special > Microsoft Excel Worksheet Object

Pretty sure that embeds the entire Excel workbook in the Word document, which anyone reading can then access by just double clicking on the table.

Quite a good way of accidentally giving loads of info away eg breaking GDPR by accident.

tthew

Not tried it yet, but it’ll have no data about people or staff so not a danger for me.

Cougar

people or staff

Who do you employ, trained chimps?

Squidlord
    Free Member

Sigh. I have to do this all the time…
    But needn’t take sooo long once you get the hang of it:
    – select cells to copy. Make sure you’ve got all of them.
    – paste into word. The columns will probably disappear off the page, so
    – select View –> online layout
    – you can see all the columns now. Resize them until they’ll all fit on one page. (This is probably narrower than you think)
    – switch back to normal view (I think it’s called page layout, or similar)
    – drag the columns until they all fit nicely on the page.
    – If some bastard has put merged cells in there, kill them, it will ruin everything
    And if you’re fussy like me:
    – select the whole table –> “table properties”, untick “allow row to break across pages”
    – select the header row (if you have one) –> table properties, tick “repeat as header row on each page”
    – … and you’re done. Sit quietly for a moment and wonder what it must be like to have a proper job.

Final points:
    – Yes, the company I work for has shit software & processes. So did the last one
    – I can’t believe I was excited to open this thread, hoping some boffin knows a quick, simple, & idiot-proof way of automating all this.
    – If you are that boffin, may the heavens rain down radiant jewels and sweetmeats upon you.

Superficial
    Free Member

This is one of the worst things about MS Office, so I feel your pain.

Squidlord’s method works, but it’s a bit time-consuming. One thing I discovered, which make or may not help you, and certainly makes no sense (Like a lot of MS Office, actually), is that if you resize the columns to be more narrow in Excel, they’ll be more narrow in Word. How much more narrow is a complete mystery – as I’m sure you know, the column widths have a mind of their own. Anyway, IME it’s usually quicker to resize them in Excel before copying rather than the rigmarole above.

YMMV. Where are my sweetmeats?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why not paste special as linked picture, therefore when you update the excel doc you will also update the word. Obviously you can’t do data entry on the word doc though

samunkim
    Free Member

Can I just say to anyone using a solution like squidlords. Try also using Macro Express. It’s a keyboard emulator so no programming required. Just list the Excel & Word ribbon short cut keys for your process and set a hotkey activation

tthew

Thanks gents. Sounds like I have a problem, because my users aren’t going to do all that resizing stuff, damn. ☹️

Who do you employ, trained chimps?

It’s only going to be populated with plant process data. Commercially sensative possibly but not GDPR related.

oldtennisshoes

Does it need to be a word document. Can you not just give them an excel sheet? Might be easier to put the text ad formatting gubbins in a spreadsheet than format the spreadsheet data in a word doc?
    #Ihateexcel

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Copying Excel cells to Word table – preserving column widths.’ is closed to new replies.