Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Coping with back pain or injuries and effective forms of treatment and healing!
  • kaesae
    Free Member

This thread is my attempt at helping out all the people who suffer needlessly with back pain caused from injuries or degenerative conditions caused by lifestyle and poor day to day practices.

It is not for people to moan or complain, if you want to do that you can start your own thread.

This thread is about raising awareness of the way people misuse their bodies and the options they have in terms of dealing and coping with existing conditions or injuries and also healing and prevention in the future.

I am by no means an expert I have a technique that I practice some of which I will share with you, I have also had due to this technique, what my osteopaths consider to be a miraculous recovery over the past 6 months.

I’ve been at it every day and have worked very hard! That said they meant it in a good way so don’t mention I said that, or else!

The human back is made up of 3 main parts that are most relevant to back injuries, conditions, pain and recovery.

1) The Skeleton

2) The Musculature

3) Other tissues, intervertebral discs, ligaments and the spinal cord.

The problem that I had and that a lot of other people have, is that there is insufficient core strength in certain muscles to support the upper body and ensure ( to make sure) that the vertebrae sit far enough apart.

We cyclist are very prone to back problems, we have a lot of upper body strength and weight, we also have a lot of lower body strength and weight. However the in between our mid and lower backs suffer for this lack of core stability.

Because the muscles are insufficient or cannot hold the weight of the upper body the weight is simply transferred onto the vertebral discs, these disc then compress and trap nerves and as the muscles are neglected for years and not strengthened they condition is progressive.

Think of the discs in your back as small fat inner tubes filled with jelly. What would happen if you push the entire top surface of it with say a dinner plate? It would lose some height but gain girth or width, this widening effect causes the actual disc to press against the spinal column and spinal nerves causing damage.

That is exactly what is happening to your backs, spinal compression from the weight of your upper bodies, as a result of neglecting to condition certain muscle groups.

The longer you leave it the worse it will get, but it doesn’t need to be like that a 10 minute exercise routine each day can avoid it happening and also put you on the road to recovery.

I am happy to research this and work on finding the best way for each of you to be rid of your conditions. After having one injury for 5 years and being in constant pain to one degree or another and losing the use of my legs, the feeling in my left foot and having a sh1temare 2 years.

This thread is about being free from pain and riding whenever you want not when your back permits it.

I hope these photo’s work and that we can all work together to shine some light on this problem that effects so many people from all walks of life .

Karinofnine

I have a lot of pain. It's in my right leg, down the back/middle of my leg. I've had a bad back for years, but this winter's been awful. Enough moaning. I find if I stretch every day without fail it cures it pretty much – of course I don't stretch every day, and then it hurts!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Nice thread.

kaesae
    Free Member

The next question is simple.

If we need to strengthen certain muscles what exact exercises do we do to strengthen those muscles?

Here's a shortened version of the technique I do in the morning and have been doing for 6 months.

First have a really hot bath no slacken of your muscles, muscles are like chewing gum if they are hard and cold they are not very flexible and easy to damage. Once you warm them up you'll find exercising a lot easier to do.

Lie flat on your stomach on something comportable on the floor, for your lower back lift your left arm and right leg slowly and gently, it's not a competition all your doing is giving the muscles stimulus to grow and develop, your not making them do it only encouraging them, only do this exercise until it becomes uncomfotable. Then lower your limbs and raise your right arm and left leg.

Try it just now if you want! but very gently, you'll feel the muscles at the lower part of your back tense up then relax as you stimulate them. If you over work the muscles they will collapse and you'll be worse off.

Just do it until it's uncomfortable and keep at it 10 mins a day if that and it's well worth it.

The upper back muscles need a slightly different exercise, this time lift your upper back up of the ground as high at you can starting with youe head and arching your back as much as possible. Same priciple though! your only looking to stimulate not force and if you tire the muscles too much they will fatigue and you'll get even worse pain. Don't push it, it takes time and effort to get the muscles to become strong enough to take the weight.

Lastly there is Ultra sound healing. Ultra sound stimulates collagen fibre growth and development and will rapidly heal muscular injuries.

http://www.aidyourpain.co.uk/

You know those ultra sound units you can get on ebay for about £50 to £100 the ones all the women use for wrinkles and cellulite. They can be used to heal injuries. It may sound daft but it works, tell the misses your getting her one and use it as well. Two birds one stone.

After using mine for 4 months once a day I would not go without it and I swear by it.

research it first is my advice.

I also know a good bit about Yoga and the Alexander technique and a few other things as well.

Had a long day so I'm leaving this here, if anyone want to try what I use of research what I'm talknig about that's fine.

I would have continued on that other thread but I already have a technique that works and I doubt anyone else knows about ultrasound or does exactly the technique I do.

I would have simply been another voice shouting amongst a large crowd.

kaesae
    Free Member

Karinofnine

circulation when you stretch and exercise you get circulation to the nerves that are being starved of circulation by the compression of your spine. However it's not really any substitute for strengthening the muscles. try these exercises for a week and see how you feel. They only take 5 mins and that's the main reason I can be arsed doing them every day!

If this thread gets my technique across and helps riders, it's nice. If not at least I tried.

This time I am off. ridefree!

wrightyson
    Free Member

i had ultrasound for my shoulder tear caused by a couple of overactive nightclub bouncers 😯

Karinofnine

Thanks I will def try. Sleep now. Good night.

kaesae
    Free Member

Just finished doing another session of my exercises and ultra sound therapy. Paid £35 plus postage of £6 for my 1mhz ultra sound on ebay a while ago, for some over stock units. Couldn't believe how quickly it started to heal me, especially considering how long I was in pain.

If any one decides to use the ultra sound the technique is pretty simple. just keep the unit moving slowly over the effected area and sorrounding area. Back and forward strokes of about 6" to 8" or cicular motions.

I find about 5 or 6 mins for my upper back as the muscles are larger and about 3mins for my lower to be the best as any more leads to fatigue of the muscles.

Strapping, back supports or other support equipment.

Although these can be helpful at times, you shouldn't really be using them constantly as this will weaken the muscles further and you will become dependent on the support for core stability. If you need extra support it's simply because the muscles aren't strong enough to do their job. Better to strengthen the muscles and enable them to support the skeleton and connective tissue than to weaken them further.

In the short run supports work in the long run you will be worse off.

I did find my support to be beneficial when driving and also a good comfy cushion, the problem is that if you're walking or riding your circulation is increased then when you sit in the car it's cut off again to a certain amount.

http://www.gbdriver.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_81&products_id=44

These are good to use in your cars for driving for long periods or after rides.

I'm off! my mates just taken his Specialized enduro back to go biking stood at the window watching him load it onto the car with the other bikes. Then 20 mins later my new frame arrived and I've got a bike to build.

Hope this helps you understand what's happening to your backs!

DrP

I have a lot of pain. It's in my right leg, down the back/middle of my leg. I've had a bad back for years, but this winter's been awful.

Sounds very much like sciatica.

DrP

crispy
    Free Member

One word: Yoga.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

one word.. well 3 "see a professional"

im off for spinal surgery this weekend, had a year of numb arm and legs, pins & needles, loss of feeling.. MRI has shown 2 herniated discs that wont repair themselves in my neck so they have to be removed, spainal injections and physio did not work, and possibly more in my lower back.

Sadly the diagnose and repair yourself does not always work and its best to get a professional diagnosis and plan of action or you could make things worse!

higthepig
    Free Member

see a professional

+1, but with a caveat, if the condition does not improve, ask to see another professional. My back condition took nearly 3 years to diagnose correctly followed by surgery, which cured the problem straight away, however getting to that point was frustrating. My GP sent me to physio initially, that did not solve the problem, I then tried acupuncture, yoga, a chiropractor, all the time on increasing strength medication, it was only after my condition got significantly worse and I jumped the queue for an MRI that I got sorted.
    I agree totally about exercise for core muscle groups, I think generally cyclists have been poor at looking after that part of the body. Exercise for core muscle groups comes as a by-product of other training and therefore is not specific enough. I do exercises similar to those suggested by kaesea, despite having no back condition now, believing that preventative exercise is better than waiting for a problem to manifest itself.

Kaesea keep up the good work, and all you others, do something now before you get a problem, I would rather eat Marmite than suffer the same back problem again, and I HATE Marmite!

Macavity
    Free Member

Hydrotherapy

james-o
    Free Member

i had ongoing back pain after a few weeks of alpine hardtailing, dunno if it was linked or pre-existing issue but for about a year after i couldn't stretch or ride comfortably, it got to the point where i came back from local rides halfway in pain.

i changed my sofa by chance and it cleared up in a matter of a week. nothing to do with hardtailing at all, tf )

kaesae
    Free Member

Spankmonkey

Osteopaths are proffesionals. Have you tried ultra sound and proper exercises. If your op is a ways of give it a go. I was told that my lower prolapsed disc wouldn't heal and that was the same for my upper one. All that I would be able to do was manage it. However that's not the case my back is without a doubt healing and I seem to be getting my life back after 5 years.

ultra sound units on ebay for about £70 and your other half can get rid of wrinkles and cellulite at the same time. Just incase you need some leverage to justify buying one.

Too many people come to rely on the NHS and Doctors, they are not a help in most cases just a hindrance. Or at least they where for me and a lot of people I've spoken too.

Everyone else! I'm not saying completely ignore your gp's but don't follow them blindly and research things for yourself.

Back injuries and conditions can be avoided and if they occur they can be reduced to the point of being healed in most cases.

Try the exercises that I've described jently see what happens and if you know anyone who has an ultra sound unit that doesn't use it, borrow it and see if it works.

Don't forget to let us know if you find anything that works, a lot of people could do with some fresh ideas and perspectives, that don't include pain killers or forming a drug habbit.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

I have tried conservative treatment, physio, massage, I have spoken to a ciro, ive had nerve root injections into my neck.. Nothing has worked, in fact they made things worse!. Ive asked 1000’s of questions, spoken to many people. Believe me surgery is not what I want to go through esp as it is such a large op. But after 12 months of pain, pins & needles, numbness and loss of feeling in my L arm, shoulder, Left leg and even my face at times I have had enough. A few months back the pain was so bad I was on gabapentin,, Zydol and diclo… at the same time, It was the only way I could get to work!

At its worst I was getting 1 hours sleep a night, im nackered all the time and have no energy. When my surgeon saw my mri & ct in his own words “god they are massive” so yes I have tried so many things but my discs are very bad, I have no idea why I have them gone im my neck and lower back, they still need to find out why and if I have some overriding condition!. I have 2 kids 1 & 5 and I cannot do simple tasks like take them swimming or run while they ride a bike. I’ve lost a huge amount of muscle mass and am now pretty weak, picking my daughter up leaves me crippled and tired after just 2 mins. Ive done 2 rides in the last year, last time almost killed me! I used heat patches twice per day for 6 months, muscle rubs, stretching and relaxing, nothing worked but £4 a day on heat patches left a nice dent in my wallet! Prob more than most if I thought there was another option at this stage I would take it, my mother in law will be in surgery at the same time as me for cancer, so my wife will be over stressed and she is only just getting better for post natal depression and post traumatic stress! But even she knows im at the end! Im not saying people should not follow your advice but I always say before you start treatment, make sure you know what you are treating 1st!!! Personally I say get a diagnosis, read up alternative treatments and try them before anything else. 8/10 it may work. I do however have to ask the dreaded question, 5 years! That’s a long time to have little quality of life and I cannot afford to miss the 1st 5 years of my little ones life, or my 5 year olds young years, all I ever say is “no sorry I cannot go on the trampoline, sorry I cannot go in the soft play, sorry I will watch from the side, no you cannot jump on me for a hug, its hurts too much” a year of that has been a year too much, if surgery does not help me then im no worse off than I am now, but I am lucky that my surgeon is one of the uk's best… bristol does have its advantages! not many but 🙂

kaesae
    Free Member

Spankmonkey.

I do not know exactly how you feel, I'm not you, but I do know what it means to lose everything you have and feel like the world is slipping away from you.

I know what it is like when the despair rushes in and leaves the whole world spinning. I also know what it is like to search in the hope you will reclaim your life only to have attempt after attempt fail.

My upper and lower back injuries are supposed to be unable to heal and yet they are without a doubt healing. My osteopath said that without the ultra sound the injuries do not heal but that with it, they do. A lot of research has been carried out on ultra sound, in your case I would say use it 3 times a day for about 5 mins on the effected area's. The units cost about £60 maybe £70 on ebay, go and see an osteopath they are by far the best treatment I have had.

A guy I met on descent world went to see a chiropractor he said the relief was only temporary. I taught him the exercises that I do and he's feeling better after doing them for 3 weeks, he's been in pain for three and a half years.

Research the ultra sound and see what you think, £70 not that much and if it works keep it, if not send it back or resell the unit and recoup most of your money.

I have been amazed at how effective it is for relieving the pain and healing my injuries. I would not tell you to try it if I did not believe from my own research and experiences that it works.

However the choice is yours!

what ever happens I hope you are able to reclaim your life and that one day you can play with your children.

Farewell.

Kael.

trail_rat
    Free Member

picture 2) is a shoulder… not your back ….

kaesae
    Free Member

trail_rat

Are you absolutely sure?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Coping with back pain or injuries and effective forms of treatment and healing!’ is closed to new replies.