Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Cooking the perfect steak.
  • BigJohn

Thaw it well and pat it dry, it'll still be good if it's cooked right.

BoardinBob

Can't stress the hot pan element enough. I've got an electric hob and the pan goes on it and the heat is turned up to maximum and left that way for 15 minutes before the steak goes near it.

Oil the steak not the pan

Don't season it until just before you put it in the pan

3 minutes each side

Done

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks for patronising me there Derek. 😉

May I suggest that you go and #### yourself on a masonry chisel.

phil.w
    Free Member

15 minutes

either your hobs are sh!t or that pan is far too hot.

yunki
    Free Member

yeah… medium heat griddle pan for me every time.. all that 'hot as you can get it' stuff is just 'ready, steady.. COOK!' propaganda and is quite revealing..

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Smash with hammer, mix with finely diced raw onion and parsley. Serve with a bottle of claret.

BigJohn

The patting dry bit is really important. Wet with oil is fine, but water/blood/cowjuice prevents browning.

warton
    Free Member

medium heat griddle pan for me every time.. all that 'hot as you can get it' stuff is just 'ready, steady.. COOK!' propaganda and is quite revealing..

the longer you cook meat on a hob the more moisture evaporates, turning your steak into a dry piece of meat. high heat, very quickly and then low heat for a few minutes to just finish cooking it, then rest for is the way I was taught when I was a Chef.

BoardinBob

either your hobs are sh!t or that pan is far too hot.

Pan cost £90

Heston's tip to get the pan on for 15 minutes at full blast. I'll take his word over yours 😉

yunki
    Free Member

for cheap cuts I will agree with a too hot pan..

BoardinBob

for cheap cuts I will agree with a too hot pan..

Nowt but the finest fillet in my hoose!

phil.w
    Free Member

I'll take his word over yours

That's fine.

Pan cost £90

Not quite sure how this is relevant, but since you brought it up we had a £50,000 stove and I've still seen commis burn food on it.

derek_starship
    Free Member

My steak pan gets reeeeaaaaaalllllllly hot and it cost loads.

My steak pan earlier today

IanMmmm
    Free Member

BBQ.

Harry_the_Spider

Pah.

This is my steak pan at max heat.

Awesome.

Harry_the_Spider

FFS. A diamond encrusted pan.

£90 apparently.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Steak cooked in a posh pan? Pah! We have swan in our house, with dolphin sauce, braised gently in one of Nigella Lawson's bra cups. This should be all the proof you need that I am in fact richer and brainier than the lot of you. Now I'm going out looking for surfmat and davidtaylforth, and when I find them, I'm going to leather the pair of em!

Harry_the_Spider

Swan? You povvy bleeder. I feed unicorn meat to next door's dog.

alexxx
    Free Member

all this steak talk is making me want one 🙁

lunge

My method (rightly or wrongly!) is:
    Buy good steak, this is the most important step
    Get steak out fridge in plenty of time so it is at room temperature before cooking
    Get the pan nice and hot, I use a cast iron griddle pan
    Just before cooking crack some black pepper on and a tiny bit of olive oil
    Add a little butter to the pan
    Cook the steak 2 mins either side, maybe a touch longer if it is thick
    Pop on a warm plate, cover with tinfoil and leave for 5 mins
    Serve.

Harry_the_Spider

Here is my plan.

1. Steak out of fridge as soon as I get home.
    2. Pack wife off to the theatre.
    3. Feed, bath and bed kids ASAP. One story. No messing about.
    4. Heat griddle pan (don’t know how much it cost).
    5. Lightly oil steak.
    6. Seal edges of steak by touching against hot pan. Derek Starship paid me a personal visit to impart that nugget of wisdom then started rambling on about butt plugs.
    7. Cook for 3 mins either side.
    8. Rest on a warm plate for 6 mins.
    9. Serve with chips, peas, tomato, mushroom and large glass of merlot.
    10. Have another large glass of merlot.
    11. Repair chain on FSR .
    12. Watch the end of the Tom Simpson program.

thebunk

Don't get (3) and (7) mixed up. You'd have a happy cow, but an unhappy family.

clubber
    Free Member

It's amazingly lucky that minutes are exactly the right length to cook steak perfectly…

derek_starship
    Free Member

5. Lightly oil steak.

Dry lube is best.

12. Watch the end of the Tom Simpson program.

13. have another glass of Merlot.
    14. Relax with a lightly oiled butt plug (wet lube is best)

Jakester
    Free Member

yunki – Member

Where do you get capers that size?

The eggyolk is from a Wrens egg…?

They're caperberries, not capers…

Bunnyhop

Nob of butter in hot griddle pan.

Slap in steak, turn, 3 minutes each side, ( medium rare ) none of this French blood oozing out and treatened by a grill nonsense.

Serve with BIG chips and a light salad.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

3 minutes a side?

it'd be brown through in that time!

hot heavy cast iron plate (flat one side, grill the other. best of both worlds!)
    little oil/pepper on steak.
    minute a side on said hot plate rest for a minute and nosh with bit of salad and pasta pesto. dinner bosh!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I see TV cookery programmes aren't wasted on many people on here.

Pan-oil-hot-bung steak in-turn over-done. Bit of salt and pepper. Anything else is just poncing about trying to look posh.

nick1c
    Free Member

Get a good thick steak (1"+). Mix a little herbs/chilli in some oil. put the steak in a dish just big enough to take it, cover the steak with the oil, put in the oven at exactly 55C for at least 2 hours (longer doesn't matter), heat a pan to smoking hot & fry on each side for a minute or so to brown. I generally use rump, occasionally sirloin or ribeye. It's always tasty & tender.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Frying pans are for eggs.

Ditto!
    Medium grill, few minutes each side (till it looks right), if its decent steak (not supermarket rubbish) it shouldn't need anything other than a dab of English mustard.

Tinners

Dammit. That's done it for me now. Only a steak will do.
    A thick slab of Welsh Black at room temperature.
    A smoking hot heavy (ie holds its heat) skillet.
    Oil the steak lightly, salt one side just before dropping it onto the skillet – salted side down.
    Don't fiddle with it. Just leave it there for a minute or two
    Salt the other side and turn it. Add a knob of butter on top of the steak just before you take it off (nothing worse than burnt butter)
    When it's still got a bit of "give", remove it and let it stand.
    When the juices start to seep out, eat it with fat chips, fresh crusty bread or dauphinoise potatoes (Delia's recipe). Maybe a handful of watercress too.
    Gotta start with room temperature meat
    Gotta use heavy, smoking skillet
    Salt just before placing on skillet, not before.
    Gotta let stand.
    We have a butcher near to us who gets well aged beef. The meat looks really dark (almost purple) and the fat looks yellow. It doesn't look dayglo red like the meat in supermarkets but it would win hands down in any pepsi challenge. Also if you ever pass Raglan on the way to Cwmcarn, there's a butcher in the village who keeps longhorn cattle (and has his own slaughterhouse, I'm told). That tastes amazing and really does have a subtly "different" taste. Would also recommend Dewi Roberts in Llandeilo if you're in the area.

petefromearth

sounds good tinners. simple is best. rib eye is my favourite. i use a knob of butter as well to help brown it nicely

while the steaks are resting i might attempt a sauce by swirling around some booze (dampen eyebrows first) and chucking in some peppercorns and cream. otherwise a lump of nice bread for mopping does the job

i'm afraid water baths are for nobbish masterchef contestants! not that i've tried it, but my girlfriend would just laugh at me

epicyclo

Recipe Ingredients:
    Steak
    North Queensland beach by full moon but not in winter when temperatures plummet to around 27ºC.
    Bonfire
    Flagon of red wine
    Long stick
    Soy sauce.

Preparation:
    Place meat on stick
    Hold over fire until edges charring
    Small drop of soy sauce – very small*
    Marinate steak in wine. This is done after cooking by drinking half flagon of wine and eating edge of steak.

Repeat ad nauseum until flagon empty

Fetch spare flagon and repeat previous step

Go skinny dipping – play who's a woose and scared of salt water crocodiles.

* this should be a very small drop – I have noticed that I often feel unwell the next day and I suspect it is bad soy sauce so it's best to play safe.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ha ha!

mattsccm
    Free Member

Bloody fancy stuff. Use decent meat dripping or fat. get the pan so hot it's warping and the smoke alarm is going off. Chuck steak in, turn over, take out. As fast as you can.. Best eaten without a fork.

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Cooking the perfect steak.’ is closed to new replies.