• This topic has 27 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • conti rubber queens v scwalbe hans dampf
  • jedi

rode them tonight. the hans sometimes feel like they drag more and at other times dont. they grip stoopid good. i love the rq feel though . shame i cant mix the 2.
    will test further
    🙂

for those who asked for the comparison

honourablegeorge

Really liking the Hans Dampf myself. Ages since I rode the RQs, can’t really remember if they were as good, but the Schwables are tubeless ready, while the 2.4RQs were a bit of a battle. Sidewalls of my Rubber Queens deformed too, to the extent that they wouldn’t spin in my frame, also had one blow off a flow rim.

Hans Dampf all the way.

mikey74
    Free Member

Probably a stupid question, but what conditions were you using them in?

jedi

yeah thats the problem i had with the rqs too. i wish the hans were a bit narrower 🙂

Stevelol
    Free Member

Are they proving any better than the queens in sloppy conditions? I got some ust BC queens for Xmas (2.4 and 2.2) but am putting off installing them.

jedi

mud and dry tonight on xc singletrack

toons
    Free Member

Apparently the wear rate of the Hans Dampf is ridiculous?

mikey74
    Free Member

I might get some Conti BC Barons for my hardtail, but I’m also interested in these two.

honourablegeorge

mikey74 – Member
    Probably a stupid question, but what conditions were you using them in?

Rooty off camber singletrack, mud, pine needles, all sorts.

Candodavid
    Free Member

HD I found fantastic at the weekend on mendip singletrack, with limestone and greasy roots thrown in for good measure.

On a 29er, rigid with 22 psi.

Would highly recommend

toons
    Free Member

Are you using trailstar or pacestar?

jedi

mine are evo triple compound mofos

honourablegeorge

Trailstar for me….. think they’re all triple compound, but the trailstar are the stickier of the two kinds.

Jedi – am running them on Crossmax SX, as recommended by yourself. Delighted with the wheels, they ooze quality.

jedi

yeah man. loving my crossmax! 🙂 loving tubeless too. new feel of the trail

mboy
    Free Member

loving tubeless too. new feel of the trail

LOL

I remember saying to you how good it was a mere 8 years ago or so! 😉

Good that you came round in the end… hehe

jedi

mboy- high5

messiah
    Free Member

I love the feel and grip form the Black Chilli (BC) Conti’s I have. Currently running 2.2 BC RQ on the hardtail and 2.3 BC Baron’s on the FS – both were a bitch to get to seal as none of them are UST. Over the summer I ran 2.4 BC RQ’s on the FS until I tore through the rear tyre sidewall, after which I fitted a UST. On all of them the sidewalls seemed to have a tough life with threads showing and some deformation, which means I doubt I would get much more than 6-12 months from any of them (the candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long?). The 2.4 UST tyre on the back removed some of the feel which I liked from them but it stood up to some very hard riding.

The Baron is a lot better in the gloop than the 2.4 RQ but only a bit better than the 2.2… not a full on mud reccomendation from me but still a good compromise all rounder. For summer I suspect I’ll go back to 2.4 RQ’s on the FS for better driftyness and rock gripping.

Interested in the Hans Damff reports – but the last Schwalbe’s I tried were Big Bettie 3C which were great in the dry but near lethal on wet roots and rocks. The tread hardly wore in six months but one sidewall went through and one of the beads deformed.

Options seem to be… run 1.5kg triple compound DH tyres and get 1-2 years of rather “solid feeling” life, or run expensive 700-900g tyres and get 6-12 months of “better feeling” life… for feel and grip on the type of riding I do I can see me spending lots on tyres unfortunately 😐

jedi

my rubber queens lasted 6 weeks! and deformed badly on the rear

mikey74
    Free Member

This is the thing that worries me about trying Conti tyres again. The last Black Chilli RQ I had was seriously flimsy.

I’m not sure how the Baron compares. The Hans Dampf looks a stronger tyre, but the comment above about it wearing fast is worrying. For £90 a set I want them to last a while.

Markie
    Free Member

For those who have seen both, which is the bigger of the two 2.4s, the hans dampf or the rubber queen? Wider, taller?

Thanks!

honourablegeorge

2.4 RQ is MASSIVE – it has a huge, round, fat carcass (hence all the deformation problems, I’d say). Hans Dampf is a 2.35, looks a teeny shade smaller than a 2.4 Nobby Nic, deffo smaller than the RQ.

Markie
    Free Member

Thanks for that honourablegeorge, appreciated.

toons
    Free Member

Mikey74, you can get a pair of Hans Dampf from http://www.actionsports.de/ for £62

stevenk4563
    Free Member

Whats the difference between Trailstar and Pacestar?

jedi

i had 2.2 rubber queens, never had 2.4!

Markie
    Free Member

stevenk4563, from the Schwalbe site:

http://www.schwalbe.com/gbl/en/produkte/produkthighlights/triple_star_compound/

Pacestar:
    Extremely fast XC compound
    Easy rolling base layer (base)
    Fast center (medium)
    Grippy shoulders (medium soft)

Trailstar:
    Enduro & Freeride Compound
    Easy rolling base layer (base)
    Grippy center (medium soft)
    Extra-grippy shoulders (soft)

Candodavid
    Free Member

Trailstar is a softer compound, supposedly to enhance grip, my Pacestar seemed foine for me and didn’t drag anything noticeable

jedi

i’ll maybe trail the harder compound on the rear

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘conti rubber queens v scwalbe hans dampf’ is closed to new replies.