• This topic has 52 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Congrats on the Olympics–well done UK
  • busydog
    Free Member

Really enjoyed the Olympics, start to finish. Not an easy task to accomplish, but from watching a lot of it throughout the 2 weeks, thought it a job well done. Obviously cost a lot, but it really showcased the country.

Hear hear!! 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

agreed

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Agreed also.

As with other threads on this, a special note of thanks to the massed ranks of volunteers and the military. You folks were a real credit to the nation!

Mounty_73

+1 a fantastic 2 week showcase! We loved it!

Hats off to the military, police and volunteers, they did a superb job and kept smiling the whole time we were there!!

I’m actually missing the Olympics now its over!

🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I’m actually missing the Olympics now its over!

+1

mamadirt
    Free Member

Indeed! Brilliant couple of weeks’ entertainment and great to see loadsa folks out cycling/running, etc 😀

loddrik
    Free Member

Can we stop with the olympics threads now….

yunki
    Free Member

why..? Is it nearly Christmas..?

slimjim78
    Free Member

You’re welcome

mboy
    Free Member

It was 2 and a bit weeks of the last 4 years. Your beloved Premiership takes up 10 months of every bloody year, yet you still feel the need to talk about it outside of season!?!?

Leave us alone for a bit eh! For once I can feel proud to be British, and celebrate the achievements of our wonderful athletes and our great nation. Besides, not long now til terminal misery sets back in and the damned domestic football season starts again…

loum
    Free Member

Anyone going to Rio?

molgrips
    Free Member

I too am missing it. But round 2 is about to start – the paras!

Also the Vuelta is starting on Saturday with some Froome-based action. Looking forward to that.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Fab 2 weeks.
    Lucky to go to the Olympic Park to see Team GB Men’s Hockey (ticket) and then to Dorset to watch Ben Ainsley win his gold (crafty scramble).
    The atmosphere was brilliant at both, volunteers and army made the days totally enjoyable.
    Already getting Olympic withdrawal symptoms.

theotherjonv

Already getting Olympic withdrawal symptoms.

Lightweight.

I’ve had pre-post-Olympic withdrawal syndrome* since about mid-last week.

(* starting to get sad that the Olympics was coming to an end)

Bunnyhop

Leave us alone for a bit eh! For once I can feel proud to be British, and celebrate the achievements of our wonderful athletes and our great nation. Besides, not long now til terminal misery sets back in and the damned domestic football season starts again…

Indeed.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Not that anyone important is going to be reading this thread but I too agree. As a nation I think we can be quite proud of what we have achieved with these Olympics. All things considered they have been fantastically well organised, some inspiring and iconic venues and a cracking good show. About as hooked to the tv as it is possible to get while still working. Very impressed with our medal results and some outstanding performances from GB athletes. The volunteers were magnificent and helped to generate a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. The crowds in the venues themselves generated the most spine tingling noise and welcome (obviously primarily to Team GB athletes) that seems to have been appreciated by most competitors and these Olympics have contributed some of the most memorable and amazing sporting scenes I have ever seen and heard. Has to be one of the best Olympics of the modern era.

And in typical English fashion I would say to LOCOG, ODA, GB athletes, volunteers, security personnel and the sporting public who went along and watched – bloody well done!

nealglover
    Free Member

Anyone going to Rio?

Yup !!

djc1245
    Free Member

Went to the MTB event. Amazing!!! Wish i could ride that fast.
    Still not worked out the difference between the £45 and £20 tickets.

racefaceec90

+1000

nealglover
    Free Member

Still not worked out the difference between the £45 and £20 tickets.

Roughly £25 I think 😉

scraprider
    Free Member

outstanding couple of weeks sport, fav bits was the cycling and the 2 man canoing the other thursday, sat down to watch it at dinner and its not on oh well.well done G.B .

BobaFatt
    Free Member

This…..you’ve had your two weeks and now every sports person is a “Hero” can we leave it at that or i’ll start pointing out how much Victoria Pendleton is becoming a right moany mare.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Leave moi Vicky alone or I’ll punch ya! 😉

Enjoyed it very much (via TV). Am proud of what was achieved. Am worried about the bill.

aracer
    Free Member

No. Paralympics next. Given the precedent set by the football fans, shortly after that it will be time to start speculating about results in Rio.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I agree on it being a fantastic thing right now (and I’m a cynical bastard at the best of times). I’m wondering about the “legacy” for the ordinary people that live in that area. Are they all going to have access to those wonderful arenas in their immediate area etc and become healthy enriched people? I suspect they won’t be living there and someone with more expendable income will, either that or the Olympic village/arenas will become a white elephant with no one able to afford to support it. hmmn.. (told u I was a cynical bastard)

anyway the BMXing was the best.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I miss it!

hora
    Free Member

Almost half a billion every 4years to fund the programme?

We really are a credit card economy arent we.

Sorry its too much.

stewartc
    Free Member

From what I saw on TV I enjoyed it a lot and friends back in the UK all seem to have had a fun time with many getting to go to some of the events.
    Very positive press out in Asia, well done team GB and good luck to the Paralympic athletes.

wallop

Hora, we have a GDP of £2,300,000,000,000 (if I’ve got my zeros right) and you begrudge spending £500,000,000? 0.0217%?

Jeez.

hora
    Free Member

You think spending almost 10billion on a two week event that hasn’t proven economical benefits for other past countries is good value?

Ontop of this almost 1/2 billion every 4yrs just to get us up the medal table?

For a country who has a debt of 2 trillion?

I just question 1/2billion for two weeks athletics and bicycles.

joao3v16
    Free Member

If there’s one thing that the Olympic Games TV coverage has highlighted above everything else, it’s that now it’s over you realise how utterly awful day-to-day TV programming is.

And it’ll get even worse very soon when yet another Wendyball season starts. Wall-to-wall grass-fairies for the next 10 months. Oh hooray.

😉

D0NK

I was very cynical but looks like they did a decent job, congrats, serious medal haul too.

Hora while the olympics themselves were very very expensive the half billion pa isn’t just for 2 weeks every 4 years is it? It’s all year round local and international, keeping interest in all these sports, which is a good thing. Pretty sure without pro athletes you’d lose a lot of grass roots enthusiasm and participation.

hora
    Free Member

And it’ll get even worse very soon when yet another Wendyball season starts. Wall-to-wall grass-fairies for the next 10 months.

On the brightside we have Huddersfield Town on the ‘up 8)

DezB
    Free Member
    wallop

You think spending almost 10billion on a two week event that hasn’t proven economical benefits for other past countries is good value?

Yes, I do. Things have value other than economic, and it’s not like they’re just going to bulldoze Stratford, is it?

In the grand scheme of things, £10bn is a drop in the ocean.

rossi46
    Free Member

All of the miserable moaning buggers have been silenced 😀

Now for the Paralympics and we can do it all over again!!

D0NK

All of the miserable moaning buggers have been silenced

not quite, well done on the running of the games, it seems a good time had by all/most attending, london didn’t go into meltdown and no international cockups (korean footy team flag notwithstanding) loads of good things said about the volunteers and GB athletes did a good job, the weather actually played ball too, unbelievable…

…still an obscene amount of money spent and plenty of black marks against the corporate whoring

but yes hope it goes just as well for the paralympics.

brooess
    Free Member

I hope this stops so much money going to football. Look how hyped that is and how much cash it gets in comparison. And look at the results that were delivered…. poor return on investment.

Maybe some of that funding will find its way to other sports that we’ve proved ourselves to be exceptional in.

This could help address the private school/middle-class imbalance in many of the Olympic athletes.

I’m no lover of football but maybe less money in the sport and a greater focus on being good at it would do it some good in the long run.

And great to see the whingers silenced! I wish Brits were more proud and positive. Maybe our athletes have shown us how we can do that and the results that come from hard work, focus and a positive attitude. We will be needing some of that for the next few years…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’d be interested to hear from any of the Red Pets on the forum how they would have paid for the games without all the “corporate whoring”…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Congrats on the Olympics–well done UK’ is closed to new replies.