Riding HARDTAILS down STAIRS!

• This topic has 30 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by  jonba.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Riding HARDTAILS down STAIRS!
  • ahgaot

Hi everyone. A noob question from me: If i ride a hardtail down steep flights of stairs of about 10 to 20 steps frequently, will it cause damage to the frame, fork and wheelset or other parts?

Lets say the frame is NS Surge 2012, fork being Rockshox Sektor RL Solo air and wheelset being Trans Rev 32.

Thanks!

Janesy

You need a 150mm FS to do stairs.

ahgaot

I understand that ds are designed to take more abuse as such, but can a long travel “hardcore” hardtail do it without damage?

bigrich

see if you can pick up a DH bike on the classifieds.

transapp

Stop being idiots guys, we were all new to iding once!

It’ll be fine. As long as your technique is good enough not to get pinch punctures, then stairs are going to have no I’ll effects in your bike at all.

ahgaot

@transapp: thanks dude. Thats exactly what I wanted to ask. The Rockshox fork, designed for all mountain/trail use, will be fine?

scotchegg

Don’t sit down cos it will hurt,

Other than that the quality of kit now days should see you well.

bigrich

put your saddle down, stay off the front brake and lean back. If you do break anything, it’s cos it’s cheap and nasty and not up to the job. The faster you go, the smoother it is.

meehaja

You’ll be fine. Keep your weight back, your arms bent and your speed fast. Don’t touch the brakes! The bike will be fine, much more suitable than one of those weird springy bikes that inexperienced riders use!

xiphon

The faster you go, the smoother it is.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

As long as its not the steps of doom, you’ll be fine. If it IS the steps of Doom, well…. you’re DOOOOOOOOOMED……

it used to be part of the interview process for my student house that anyone wishing to move in must be able to ride down the stairs and hop over the front door threshold without knackering the bannisters, wall or door threshold.

this was back in 1998 though… we have matured a little since then.

Janesy

Sorry for orginal comment – you’ll be fine. Perhaps find some shoter staires to practice on first.

ahgaot

Ahh so I’ve been doing it wrong. I used to shift my weight back, knees bent, ass behind the saddle, while applying brake to the back wheel, going a tad too slow. No wonder I always feel smacked about. Haha. wow. Epic rim in that pic, binners.

transapp

The Sector fork will also be fine

thomthumb

I understand that ds are designed to take more abuse as such

bit of a massive generalisation.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

ahgaot – That’s Plumber, of this parish. His front wheel folded in half about 2 steps from the bottom of these beauties. Teh impressive thing was that as it did so, he simply stepped off the bike, like it was the most normal thing in the world

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcbOJUCUyHU&feature=player_embedded[/video]

They’re the steps of Doom in Rammy and are deceptively fiendish, as you have no run out at the bottom of them

mikewsmith

Best to try and clear as many as possible…..

philbert31

Are those steps covered in grease??

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I think that was ‘Mincefest’ week?

avdave2

If you do break anything, it’s cos it’s cheap and nasty and not up to the job.

That’s not a nice way to talk about someone’s face.

Premier Icon shortcut
    Subscriber

Town centre steps are fine – less greasy!!

I often ride down steps on an xc 29 er without issue!

Those steps of doom however. – I don’t think I would be keen.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Those steps are covered in green slime and are always wet.

What you can’t see is that at the bottom there is a narrow bridge that goes off to the right at about 45 degrees. So you’ve no run out, which means the point-it-down-and-stay-off-the-brakes approach is a non starter. Directly in front of you as you go down the steps are a set of iron railings to stove your teeth in on, then a quite large drop straight into a river. Its very distracting

EDIT: Quite a few people have looked at that video and made dismissive “Pah! They’re a piece of piss! I can ride those!” comments. Its worth noting that not one of them has actually subsequently managed it.

Jus’ sayin, like

Duggan

I’m rubbish at mountain biking and I’ve been riding my budget hardtail down steps for about two years now, no ill effects so far.

ahgaot

Thanks guys for your inputs! Wow the steps of doom seem.. very hardcore. Yeah, after seeing binners explanation, i can figga it actually seems very difficult. Haha. I tried riding down once on a budget hardtail, and the rims were bent to the point that the bike would wobble violently when riding.. which explains my interest in the question abv..

ahgaot

@Janesy: Nah its ok! Haha yeah sure. Of cos I would start small and build up!

Milkie

Mine is fine riding down internal steps!

Craggyjim

I’ve been looking for those steps Binners, I found them the other day and only realised they were what I had been searching for as I was halfway down them with my seatpost fully raised. They are steeper than they first appear 😯

Ecky-Thump

Steps of DOOOOM

I’m the first rider mincer in Binners’ vid.
    …and yep, that’s a fail! It cost me a new pushlock lever 🙁

First and only time I’ve been that way and they didn’t look all that difficult to me either… but just look again at how the tyres fail to get any purchase at all and skitter off sideways at the slightest attempt to steer…

Yep! I reckon they are.

To the OP, you’ll note that the only ones who were up for riding those steps were on XC hardtails. 😛
    You’ll be fine. Your RS Sektor has much more travel… enjoy your steps.

ahgaot

@Eecky-Thump: haha thanks yo! Wow those steps might as well be blocks of butter! Slips at the slightest turn of the wheel..

Great. All hyped up to learn stairs riding! .. Might as well make bruise-collection on my shins my 2nd hobby.

jonba

10-20 stairs – huck that mofo

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Riding HARDTAILS down STAIRS!’ is closed to new replies.