Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • compact digital camera
  • harvey
    Free Member

twice recently i have been in the mourne mountains looking at stunning views , with no camera ! does anyone have any suggestions for a small idiot proof camera – heres the catch – with a photo quality approaching an SLR !

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Moon on a stick request I reckon

Panasonic LX3 seems to get good reviews for image quality, but from what iv’e read and heard nothing gets that close to DSLR quality

Was debating getting a Canon G5, but it seems that the quest for more millions of pixies just causes image problems with a small sensor

Think I will stick with my cheapo Canon A720 and accept the compromise

Good luck with your search and I could be talking absolute bollocks which someone better informed will surely correct me on

harvey
    Free Member

yeah , thanks tijuana . i don`t know much about cameras , but i did think this maybe a tall order . anyway . maybe some are better than others

geoffj

Ricoh Caplio GX100 is the dogs as far as I’m concerned. I used to have a G5 which was OK, but shutter lag used to really get on my bits. The G9 gets good reviews, but I am very happy with the GX100.

But TBH unless you want RAW and/or work in low light, and/or want all the manual controls, then you will struggle to beat a basic Ixus IMHO – got one of them too 🙂

coogan
    Free Member

The Paansonic Lumix with the Lecia lens are very good and pretty cheap too.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Ricoh GR-D II is amazing. I have had the GR-D for a couple of years and the only thing I wish I couls change is the slow write time for RAW images…which the GR-D II addresses!

Only downer is the fixed (28mm equiv) lens so if you are a zoom-fanatic you might not like it but for landscapes, candids, street photography etc.its great and the quality is top. I used mine for all the shots in the HimaChal article in STW #41 (Feb 08)

SSP

andym
    Free Member

I have a Panasonic LX2. Easily pocketable. Image quality is excellent – providing you are shooting at lower ISOs. The latest model is even better and has a good lens. Check out the review on dpreview.com. Yes a DSLR will have a bigger chip – so ‘better’, but if it’s a question of a camera you can easily carry with you then the Lumix is the one to go for – probably has the edge on Canon’s G10.

It’s not necessarily idiot-proof. If you want image quality then you need to shoot RAW rather than jpeg and be prepared to do some work tweaking.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

I meant Canon G10 not G5 in my reply,told you I might be talking bollocks

5thElefant
    Free Member

Sigma DP1 or DP2 is worth a look. It has a DSLR sized sensor.

geoffj

SSP – do you have the pictures online anywhere?

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Sigma DP1 and 2 do have a big sensor and I did look at getting one but they are soooooo slooooooow even shooting JPEGs. RAW performance is a joke. Turn on time is slack too.

I had high hopes for them and the cash waiting, shame they need to tweak it a little to keep up with the GR-D’s / G10 of the world.

SSP

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Geoffj, have a look here: MTB Himachal 2007

" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />

That is a small version of the 3M RAW picture…great way to wake up! Let me know if you want full size versions of any of those.

SSP

5thElefant
    Free Member

Sigma DP1 and 2 do have a big sensor and I did look at getting one but they are soooooo slooooooow even shooting JPEGs. RAW performance is a joke. Turn on time is slack too.

I had high hopes for them and the cash waiting, shame they need to tweak it a little to keep up with the GR-D’s / G10 of the world.
    That’s a shame the image quality of the DP1 is visibily better, I was waiting for the DP2 to be released, assuming it addressed the shortcomings.

Images in review here

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Ricoh GX100.

More here (also from Himachal Pradesh)

harvey
    Free Member

thanks everyone for your input

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘compact digital camera’ is closed to new replies.