• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Compact camera – opinions please
  • cakefest
    Free Member

Have been out of the compact camera market for a good while now, concentrating on SLRs. Would be used for holiday snaps, family stuff, printing up to A4 size for the wall at home.

What's the best value/quality compact I can get for say £100-200?

Many thanks.

grumm
    Free Member

I like my Canon Ixus – it's pretty good quality and very compact. Seen some great pics taken with some of the Lumix cameras too.

M6TTF
    Free Member

the panasonic lumix range always gets good reviews

Andituk
    Free Member
    grumm
    Free Member

That looks like a cracking deal to me.

Yup

dickydutch

bought one of the TZ6 last week. first impressions – thoroughly impressed!

DezB
    Free Member

Are the videos on the TZ65 HD?

My Canon does HD videos and now I can't do anything with them. Bloody annoying.

Northwind

I think the TZ65 lacks the HD videos of the TZ7. You know the TZ can record in other formats, right? Doesn't have to be HD. The sofware that comes with it is diabolical though isn't it? Vista and Windows 7's WMM is supposed to be able to handle AVCHD but otherwise you pretty much need a convertor or a HD editor.

TBH I don't like how fragile and fiddly the TZs feel, they're very plasticky and the dials and controls are too easy to jog, which is a constant hassle. The picture quality, long zoom and features are absolutely fantastic but there's pretty big drawbacks. I love mine but sometimes it infuriates me and I just don't trust it not to break.

I love Ixuses… Had 3, they've all been awesome. Tiny, tough, good quality, and if you buy last year's model usually not expensive either. I kind of wish I'd bought another. Basically I was happy to take my 800 into anything- it got soaked in beer at a Bad Religion gig, filled with rain at a motorbike rally (left in a waterproof pocket with the top of the pocket open- filled with rain to the brim!), left lying on the west highland way overnight in the mist and rain, dropped from a moving motorbike onto tarmac, then round the world by my brother and attacked with sand, dust, glaciers and tropical storms. Apparently it's finally died this week, RIP awesome Ixus. I expect my TZ to become an insurance claim the first time any of those things happen to it.

matt_outandabout

Whatever you buy, check these guys out. Amazingly fast service (ordered 3pm one day, delivered to Highlands by 11 am next day….Good price as well.
    http://www.camerabox.co.uk

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Not sure what the modern version is, but my Canon A720 IS has been great

Works for ages on 2 x AA's, manual control settings and stabilised too
    Yes its made from plastic, but used for work and not been treated very carefully at all

Daresay it has a modern incarnation, well worth checking out

Ewok
    Free Member

Screw camerabox!!!!!!

I bought a Nikon D90 off them, and it had stuck pixels. No problem I thought, Nikon service that issue for free.

No dice, it was a grey import from hong kong.

2 Months to get a refund, and they didnt even refund my return insured postage.

Will never use them again or their clone site: http://www.cameras2u.com/ – which appears to be down thankfully.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ewok – most manufacturers don't cover a few stuck pixels anyway, and if you send it back they just write the deadpixels into the firmware compensation and the camera "makes it up" as it goes along.

grantway
    Free Member

Take a look at a web company called Digi-Good. They are on ebay too
    I bought a Canon G11 and saved £ 150 quid from UK price.
    They are an American company that has a distrabution centre
    in Sussex.
    Bought the camera on a Thursday and recieved it next day 10 am Friday.

.duncan
    Free Member

"Whatever you buy, check these guys out. Amazingly fast service (ordered 3pm one day, delivered to Highlands by 11 am next day….Good price as well.
    http://www.camerabox.co.uk"

my only advice would be to stay away from them, i've heard nothing but bad reviews!!

try jacobsdigital, warehouseexpress, pixmania or jessops imo

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Pixmania are a bit iffy at times especially with a lot of manuals being in French
    Amazon are always reliable as are the others you mentioned along with Park Cameras and a good many local camera shops are excellent too

This will give you an indication on suppliers and prices
    Camerapricebuster

When I bought my last DSLR got the best price and damn good service at Currys (might have been lucky because the chap was obviously a camera nut) but don't overlook the obvious places

falkirk-mark
    grantway
    Free Member

Digi-Good have the above Panasonic for £ 118.95p
    including Manufactures case and a SD card.

M6TTF
    Free Member

The new tz8 is out imminently – the successor to the tz6 and has the full manual option.

jedi

i bought a sony 10mp one last week for 90 quid in tesco. job done

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Compact camera – opinions please’ is closed to new replies.