Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Watch fans – Omega Speedmaster Pro, should I?
  • IHN

It's a lot of money…

richcc
    Free Member

If you can afford it and you're not affecting anyone else negatively then go for it. A nice watch is a real pleasure that lasts. I got a Breitling and have never regretted it – one of my favorite possessions. Watch haters will be along shortly, but each to their own – if you don't get it, then you don't appreciate it

Raindog
    Free Member

…but it's a nice watch. I guess only you can say if it's worth it to you. I have one of these , which I bought in Hong Kong on my 40th, and I wouldn't be without it.

dt5714
    Free Member

I'm a watch fan, have two Omega's a Seamaster which have had for 10 years (next Saturday) and a 1974 Speed Master MKII. Both are very nice but normally wear the Speed Master.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Omegas are lovely, but I find myself wearing nothing but my vintage (with an amazing history!) Schwarz these days!

Go vintage!

luke
    Free Member

Yes it's a cracking watch, had one and sold it, still regret it, but i'll be replacing it soon.

joolsburger
    Free Member

A nice watch is lovely thing to have. Go for it.

I've got one of these worth every penny.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

If like it and can afford it,why not?

matthewjb
    Free Member

Well it's a classic. They've been making it for 40 years.

Buy a good condition secondhand one, then, if you change your mind, you should be able to sell it on without losing too much.

Try somewhere like TZ-UK. And avoid ebay.

sc-xc

I dug out my old Grandpa's 1950's Rolex Air King today. Bit of a polish, new strap…looking good in a vintage way.

liquid1000
    Free Member

Have a Sea Master like it lots :0)

postierich
    Free Member

I have a Seamaster on its 3rd chain strap but I have worn it day in day out!

Woody
    Free Member

IHN – of course you should. Why ask ?

Joolsburger – That's an interesting watch and having had a quick look at the web site seems good spec. at a reasonable price. Which model is it ? Looks like a smoothed out classier version of my 'Black Monster' 😀

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Rolex GMT Master 2 here. Do it!

Although I didn't buy it but inherited it when my Bro died. My prized posession.

colnagokid

You dont need an expensive watch, but if you can afford it, and you like it get it.
    And as Bushwacked has (unfortunately) found out can be a great hand ne down or gift.

birdo
    Free Member

i went for a vintage seamaster, 1951. i love it to bits. i think if you want a nice watch and can afford it then why not.i do think the vintage route offers a bit more protection if you change your mind as you shouldn`t lose out if you re sell.

simon_g

I've also got a vintage seamaster, but a year younger – planning to give it to my dad as a 60th present. Enjoying it myself for the time being though.

If you like the Speedmaster design (and it's a classic now), if the history means something to you (and it usually does if you have any passing interest in space and the moon missions), then it's a lovely thing to have. There's not a lot these days that you can buy and enjoy for decades then pass on to your kids.

The people advocating spending a tenner on a Casio will be along shortly.

(ps. why on earth is there an advert for fake Omegas in the sidebar?)

IanMmmm
    Free Member

I wouldn't go for a leather strap if that's going to be your main watch. If you're getting one with a stainless bracelet then I'd say go for it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Go vintage I say – less money to lose.

Solo
    Free Member

I've an Omega DeVille. I'd stick to metal strap IIWY. The leather ones cost a fair bit and don't last that long.

Good watch though. I wanted a watch that contained the new escapement.

🙂

S.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

A nice watch is worth it. On my 3rd now – two Rolexes and bought a Breitling this year. Part exchanged each time and got amazingly good trade in deals.

Which Seamaster? For me the Planet Ocean Chrono was one of the choices, along with the Breitling Avenger, and Bell and Ross.

breakright
    Free Member

I bought a speedmaster pro a couple of years ago and have never regretted it. Its a classic looking watch and should therefore look good forever.

Quite a sturdy thing too, although I would recommend the one with the sapphire glass instead of the more 'authentic' plastic as it does get scratched up fairly easily. Having said that I believe the replace the glass when you get it serviced.

surfer
    Free Member

I've got this in Black. 5 years old now but still looks great.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Got a Speedmaster Date for a christmas/belated wedding present and I adore it.
    I would absolutely recommend it.

tron
    Free Member

I like watches, but I also knacker them. So I'd say no, in the sure knowledge that eventually it will get scraped and look tatty.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Wooody it's a UTS 3000M diver. I love it but it's a big old dumb-bell of a watch.

It's nice to have something unique as he will customise it for you, mine has an engraved movement and the seconds hand and bezel are one offs.

He makes 200 of each style and that's it.

3000m though useful for when I go scuba diving!! 🙄

joolsburger
    Free Member

joolsburger
    Free Member

oddjob
    Free Member

I bought myself a new speedmaster a few years ago and it is a lovely watch, but think carefully how/when you will wear it because the plastic crystal scratches very very easily.
    I am not sure, but I think I would get a Planet Ocean or a Speedy with a saphire crystal if I was buying it tomorrow.

matthewjb
    Free Member

the plastic crystal scratches very very easily.

There is a sapphire version. Not authentic but probably more practical.

There's also a version with the cool co-axial escapement for only about £5000.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

I'm happy with my speedmaster, had it about 6 years now. It did start gaining time once after I dropped it but was quickly repaired for £25 by the local watch shop.

As one poster above said, if you can afford it go for the sapphire crystal version, mines got the cheaper hesalite glass and it does scratch relatively easily (but it does buff out). I wouldn't bother with the co-axial escapement version either, my brother has one (diffrent model a deville) and its broke twice in 3 years (-:

IanMmmm
    Free Member

3000m water resist you can look at as a mechanism for donating to future generations of divers, who will maybe have the technology to go that deep.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Watch fans – Omega Speedmaster Pro, should I?’ is closed to new replies.