Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Commuting/Road tyres Question
  • hp_source

Seeing as there's a general roadie theme to this morning's topics I'll go with the trend.

I'm looking to start commuting 2-3 days a weeks, it's about 13miles each way, 60%ish A roads, the rest lanes/quieter roads.

Is it worth me finding some more robust tyres for my road bikes than the skinny slicks. I don't plan on biking if it's tipping down with rain, so am more concerned by fending off punctures/pot holes.

Any recommendations as I've never had to by road tyres yet!?!

I was thinking along these lines…

Cheers

scaredypants

the spesh roubaix armadillo ones wouldn't be out of place on a HGV – I suppose they're not the fastest but I'd be surprised if they'd let you down. They're a lot more substantial than gatorskins etc IMO. Are fully slick though, if you care.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I use conti grand prix 4 seasons, used them the last 2 years without too many punctures. I've tried loads of tyres on the commuter and these have been the best in terms of speed, comfort, wear and puncture proofing.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I use GP 4000S tyres. They are a 'racing' tyre, but punctures seem rare as long as you keep them at 100PSI or more – they're supposed to have some kind of puncture protection in them.

As for potholes, best plan is just to keep an eye out for them and try not to hit too many.

I always go for something as slick as possible for the extra grip compared to a treaded tyre.

Joe

monkeychild
    Free Member

I love these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18800
    I got mine cheap off the classifieds but will deffo buy them again.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I keep puncturing my gatorskin.

Am not convinced any tyre is better than any other, most folk recommend different stuff.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

I have 34mm schwalbe touring tyres. They weren't cheap (40 euros each from my LBS iirc) but in just over a year of daily commuting on cobbles over kerbs etc etc I have had no .. NO punctures

They're not as fast as 25mm and smaller slicks but the no punctures is lovely and they're a good compromise between comfort and rolling resistance (plus the fit nicely under my skinny mudguards)

and the rear has just started to show through to the carcass (noticed it this morning for the first time) so it's managed +/- 5,000 km

I'll be ordering another one

monkeychild
    Free Member

Am not convinced any tyre is better than any other, most folk recommend different stuff.

I do agree this is the case with everything really 😆

+1 for the Specialized armadillos. Pump them up high, ride smoothly, avoid the obvious potholes and you should have no problem. If you're not some ultra roadie whippet then they'll spin fast enough for you.

druidh
    Free Member

If avoiding punctures is your ultimate goal, then you want to be looking at the Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

However, as Gary_M says, I've been using the Conti GP 4 Seasons all winter (15k each way through town) and they've been faultless.

traildog
    Free Member

I've only got a 10 mile commute (minimum) and as such running a heavy slow rolling tyre is not a huge deal. This winter, I've actually been using my mountain bike, but previous winters and summer I usually use Schwable Landcruisers on a cross bike. They're 7 quid, bomb proof and last well. But your road bike might not have clearance. Gatorskins are always mentioned in threads like this but I've never tried them and they get mixed reports. I use Vittoria Rubinos for everyday use (such as summer commuting) and these have done me well.
    I did a year commuting on Race tyres (MMich Pro Race) and to be honest, they were fine. I didn't puncture and they are the nicest ride, but the main thing is that you wear them out quickly and they're expensive. I would therefore say go for something cheapish for commuting as you wear them out quickly.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I run Conti Gatorskins and they have been great apart from hitting a massive pothole at about 25mph. I doubt anything would have survived that.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run Conti 4 Seasons (28mm) during the depths of winter then 25mm Mich Krylion carbons when it gets warmer. Both have been excellent.

I don't rate gatorskins myself.

MrSmith
    Free Member

4 seasons are much better than gatorskins. higher tpi and black chilli rubber more grip in the wet.
    siping or tread is pointless on road bikes it's there to appease those who think it will grip more. it doesn't the tarmac is rougher than than the tyre and the tyres ability to deform (higher tpi helps this) and compound will give you grip. you need to be doing 90mph to aquaplane a bike 25c bike tyre.

the armadillos will not puncture but they ride horribly and don't really have a grippy compound.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I've run Maxxis Detonator and Keda Kwik Rollers both in 28mm size, only pinch flatted once in 7 months when I smacked a pot hole.

Ridden over all sorts of crap in and around London

joemarshall
    Free Member

I did a year commuting on Race tyres (MMich Pro Race) and to be honest, they were fine. I didn't puncture and they are the nicest ride, but the main thing is that you wear them out quickly and they're expensive.

I've heard people say that, but my front tyre is at over 5000km, and has loads left on the wear indicator and the back is at 4000 (the last one wasn't worn, I just hit half a broken bottle and it got cut up). The GP 4000S is supposed to be pretty long lasting according to Continental, and it seems like that is true. You are right that they are bloody expensive though – I paid £20 a tyre last year, and it looks like they are £25-27 this year, although I don't mind that if they last thousands of km a go.

Joe

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Commuting/Road tyres Question’ is closed to new replies.