Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Commuting Train Station Station Bike
  • dsb181
    Free Member

So I’ve got myself a new job to which I’ll have to commute to by train because it’s too far (for me) to cycle.
    I have a 4 mile ride to the local train station where I’ll have to lock my bike up for the day until I return, I’ve been commuting on my hardtail but had somewhere safe to lock it up and don’t feel comfortable leaving at a train station all day so I’m looking for something else.

Requirements are mudguards, panniers/rack for my rucksack, quicker than & worth substantially less and wouldn’t be as attractive to a thief as my other bike. I’d also like to enjoy the ride, on something half decent that doesn’t weigh a tonne, not fussed by looks as long as everything works well, I know some people will find that statement kind of defeats the object tho.

I don’t want to buy new because I think a shiny new bike in the racks would be more likely to disappear rather than a already loved bike, even if it was a cheap one.

Should I be looking on ebay for a whole bike and trying to sort it myself to suit or build it from the frame up using used parts.

Also I’m concerned that having a large Kryptonite S4 D Lock might make any bike look attractive/worth pinching to a thief, but obviously it would keep it more secure (I hope) than a £15 Argos jobby.
    Any other advice would be great & thank you for listening to my ramblings!

jekkyl

Ebay for a full bike.

wolf75k
    Free Member

Also I’m concerned that having a large Kryptonite S4 D Lock might make any bike look attractive/worth pinching to a thief

Trust me, never in history has a better, heavier lock made a bike more attractive to a thief. With a good D lock there’s almost no chance it’ll get nicked at the train station unless you leave it overnight (even then they’d probably find a better target) or lock it to something stupid. I’d be more concerned about where you’re keeping the bike when you get home.

dsb181
    Free Member

Hey thank you for the advice. I guess that the lock question was a bit silly, it just reminded me of something that I was told before, putting a padlock on a tent makes it more likely to be broken into, kinda different tho!

Thanks

damitamit
    Free Member

Build one up from old parts in the shed or 2nd hand stuff on here:

alexpalacefan

Ebay. Old road bike. Jobs a good un.

APF

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Commuting Train Station Station Bike’ is closed to new replies.