Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Commuting bike trousers?
  • carbon337
    Free Member

What do you wear on your bottom half for winter months commuting?

Some days I only do 9 miles to train and same home and carry a rucksack so i tend not to bother with the lycra for this – im thinking of an Altura type trouser to wear.

Anyone got/found any alternatives they swear by?

I’ll stick with my lyrca for when i do the 35m each way commute where i need to be efficient on the bike and ditch the rucksack of sarnies etc.

Garry_Lager

Endura singletrack kecks are very comfy for pedalling. Will get soaked through in any rain IME, though, so not a good choice if it’s wet.

This winter I’ll probably just wear a set of lined shorts from decathlon for a tenner, plus leg warmers if its properly cold. Only going 5/6 miles though so it’s less of a big deal.

MRanger156
    Free Member

I wear lycra although tempted by some waterproof trousers especially after last winter when conditions were not great.

nedrapier

Only 5 miles, and down south: “normal” shorts/boardies for 3+ seasons, trackie bottoms if it’s very cold.

Thin, quick drying Columbia hiking trousers if it’s a cold and wet.

Lifer
    Free Member

These were a life saver last winter.

scruff
    Free Member

Endura singletracks for me, I need a good tough arse.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Lightweight but tough and quick drying ‘hiking’ trousers (same thing as ‘biking’ trousers without a liner, only a lot cheaper…), and if it’s very cold, thermal long-johns. 😀

Full waterproof trews only if it’s absolutely chucking it down and not likely to stop soon. Too bloody hot and uncomfortable otherwise.

carbon337
    Free Member

Walking through Newcastle central station fully lycra’d up is a bit odd – so im thinking when im using the train just go in casual more baggy look on the road bike.

rkk01
    Free Member

Long Endura Singletrack trousers, Gore windstopper 3/4 shorts, baggies or baggies over Gore bib tights.

When it’s wet the bib tights get my vote… Wet and clingy trousers jsut add to misery. Being wet, but warm and comfortable is ok.

nedrapier

Full waterproof trews only if it’s absolutely chucking it down and not likely to stop soon

I go the other way if it’s chucking it down: mesh ruinning t shirt, boardies, no pants and maybe a sleeveless windstopper if it’s chilly. shirt, pants, socks, wallet, phone plus flannel for wipe drying in a binliner inside the rucksack. Shorts sand Tshirt are dry enough for the ride home.

This works for me for rides under half an hour. It doesn’t tend to be too cold here if the rain’s really heavy.

allthepies
    Free Member

Lycra shorts underneath Aldi waterproof troons, same ones as in last Thursdays special offers.

fontmoss
    Free Member

why you need these of course sir!

STATO
    Free Member

Alpkit jeans, waterpoof for a bit but still dry quickly even when they are quite worn in. If its cold (like when i had to commute between work and uni in a blizzard) then i stick a set of thin leggings underneath.

carbon337
    Free Member

Erm no I don’t and not at that price!

fontmoss
    Free Member

but sir they are a bargain and from the photos it is quite clear that you will enter into an elite group of cyclistes*

*spelt weirdly to prove how different they are

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Fulllength Endura humvees if just commuting to and from work but if I’m cycling to meetings where there might not be facilities etc these – Surface pants

jonba
    Free Member

i swear by wind proof bib tights but you said no lycra. Are Ronhill type things out of the question? Not tight but still fitted. You can wear thermal tights underneath when it get’s cold.

For a lot of the year I wear 3/4 length shorts. Knee warmers when it get’s a bit chilly. It is only when it get’s really cold I find I need the tights. But wearing shorts in winter looks as wierd as wearing tights to a non cyclist.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Commuting bike trousers?’ is closed to new replies.