Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Commuting backpack – what’s good?
  • Cheezpleez

i need something to hold a laptop, headphones, book, lunch, a jumper, gloves, etc. High vis would be good.

What do you recommend?

majestic

Osprey escapist is worth a look, but there is no dedicated space for a laptop, I used a sleeve  case for 3 years and my laptop was fine.

charliew

Lomo dry bag:

http://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/Dry-Boxes-dry-bags-uk.html#a770

Although I have to admit I commute on my motorbike with it but should be good for cycling. Perhaps a little sweaty as there is no mesh back.

Cheezpleez

Thanks. Looked at the Lomo but I think it’s a bit big for what I need. 20 litres would be nearer the mark, I reckon.

will have a look at the Osprey.

Cheezpleez

Anyone used an Oxford Aqua 20? Looks like what I need and the smaller (too small) version gets a good review

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Hotukdeals members are raving about a 24l backpack on offer for £10 plus postage, cannot recall brand, but recent thread over there from past few days.

eddie11
    Free Member

Alpkit gourdon is very good. You’ll need your own laptop sleeve

qwerty
    Free Member

I have one of these:

Waterproof Backpack – 20 Litres

It’s a great bag. No specific lap top compartment, but it’s 100% waterproof and the bag will float when you fall into the canal.

✅👍

Can be had for a nifty fifty https://www.leisureoutlet.com/outdoor-pursuits/walking-and-hiking/rucksacks/117707-overboard-20l-waterproof-pro-vis-backpack–yellow

northernremedy

Alpkit gourdon here too. Superb. Bright orange one also very visible

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I have an old Dakine Dispatch and it has been bombproof, really can’t remember how long I’ve had it *for but it’s been yonks. Only now showing any signs of wear. It is larger than what you are asking for but I cannot fault the Dakine build quality, I’d look at their range for something suitable.

* I bought it after a review in the mag how ever long ago that was.

bails

Alpkit Gourdon 20.  Cheap, waterproof, holds stuff.  What more do you need for riding to work?

Bregante

I’ve got the Lomo drybag as linked above by charliew. It’s superb quality. Not particularly light but really comfortable. I can take a weeks worth of clothes into work on a Monday in it and everything stays bone dry. It’s just one big bag (no pockets or dividers in it).

PMK2060

I have the Oxford Aqua 20 Litre and would recommend it.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve got an Osprey Momentum. It seems pretty decent for bike commuting with a laptop.  Good laptop pocket, lots of little pockets and sensible features.

https://www.ospreyeurope.com/shop/gb_en/everyday-commute/momentum-series

It’s worth bearing in mind I paid £40 for it, and I’m happy.

However if I’m riding a longer distance without a laptop, I prefer a less structured, lighter bag. I have an Osprey day (hiking) bag which is a lot lighter, and since it doesn’t have a big padded laptop section it’s a bit more comfy.

Garry_Lager

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>bails
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Alpkit Gourdon 20.  Cheap, waterproof, holds stuff.  What more do you need for riding to work?

Is the 20 pretty spacious? Wondering if the 25 would be a good purchase as you prob wouldn’t notice the extra space until you needed it.

</div>
    I’ve been using a decathlon one for a few years and it’s good for commuting, but very specific. Not something you’d use for anything else like hiking, say, or even a big mountain bike ride it wouldn’t be ideal.

edhornby

I have the gourdon 30 and it’s a tad too big if anything, the 20 would be spot on

northernremedy

Gourdon 25 here. Perfect. Can fit clothes, shoes, towel and toiletries and all my food in. If need be laptop also.

claudie

I’ve got an osprey escapist and syncro, much prefer the syncro because it has a frame that creates a gap between your back and the pack – much less sweaty

sirromj

Alpkit Gourdon 20. Cheap, waterproof, holds stuff. What more do you need for riding to work?

It’s just a bag with space inside, a single compartment. For commuting on a daily basis, I’d want a seperate compartment for tools, pump, spare tubes etc. I don’t want to have to pull out a load of clothes and lunch just to get to a multi tool that’s sunk to the bottom of the bag – especially if it’s raining. It also looks like it will sit close to every inch of your back and not let air between your back and the bag so sweat galore.

I’ve been using an 20l Osprey Syncro  for a few years now with the cage to keep the bag off your back and allow air through. Quite happy with it, though would prefer if the straps over the chest allowed more airflow through in the summer. The mesh to keep the bag away from your back does push whatever you’re wearing against your back and keep it there so still not as good as nothing on your back, but better than a laden bag pressed against your back.

TiRed

Deuter Race EXP has been my tool of choice for six years. Sits off the back, has a built in yellow rain cover, and I use it off road with a bladder.

Not the biggest (18L), nor the cheapest, but excellent. I’d replace it with another in a heartbeat.

joebristol

MI got a lomo drybag a few months back and it’s perfect. I carry lunch / laptop and charger / change of clothes / notepad etc and it sits nicely on your back with nothing digging in at all. If it’s not full to the top you can roll the top down tighter so it’s not as big. I bought a mini 3 pack of dry bags of varying sizes for £7.50 also from lomo which I use inside it. 1 small one for a spare tube / multi tool / tyre levers / co2 canister / puncture repair kit. Then one for valuables / wallet / phones / pens etc. Everything else is just inside it like a normal backpack. Completely waterproof, wipes clean with a cloth, high vis and comfortable.

So much better than the various backpacks I’ve used for commuting over the years.

Cheezpleez

Thanks all for your input. I’ve gone with the Aqua 20 – £32 from some motorbike website.

Why do my posts keep failing to appear?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Commuting backpack – what’s good?’ is closed to new replies.