Commuters – what type of driver and vehicle will inevitably squish you?

Home Forum Bike Forum Commuters – what type of driver and vehicle will inevitably squish you?

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Commuters – what type of driver and vehicle will inevitably squish you?
  • Premier Icon ir_bandito
    Subscriber

Had a close call with a school bus a couple of years ago, but local plod had a word, and now all the bus drivers round here seem a lot more aware. Which is nice.

Other than that, it could be anyone of the approximately 50% of local drivers who don’t know how to use a roundabout. i live in a small market town, i think there are only 5 roundabouts in the entire town, but the amount of people who either don’t indicate, indicate incorrectly, or simply look the wrong way is outstanding.

I should say, my commute is about 1 mile, through said town. In the mornings accompanied by my 5 year old son who’s road manners and ability to track-stand amaze me. Also, he works as a very good distraction for drivers. Initially they don’t see him cos he’s small, on a small bike, but he does wear hi-vis, have lights on the bike, wears a helmet (with a light on) and rides in a very assertive position on the road as I’ve taught him, so when drivers do see him they back right off. Which is good.

b r

When heading in/around M4/A4 inside the M25; middle-aged asian women in a 4×4’s – not on purpose, but it’s just she just pays no attention whatsoever…

velomanic

I’ve had the most scares and near misses from elderly drivers in Micra type cars…

…if the driver’s wearing a hat you know you’re in trouble.

Premier Icon nach
    Subscriber

It’s quite reassuring that people who posted on this thread have problems with the same types of drivers as me – notably Addison Lee minicabs and 4×4 drivers – removing the feeling that I was beginning to imagine things.

If I’m in London, I like that Addison Lee cars at least have massive signs on them. Audi drivers don’t seem so bad in Nottingham, but BMWs always seem to be the ones doing punishment passes. I do wonder how many of these stereotypes are cemented by confirmation bias though.

Premier Icon terrahawk
    Subscriber

The demonically posessed variant of this

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Commuters – what type of driver and vehicle will inevitably squish you?’ is closed to new replies.