Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Committing to digital.
  • skidsareforkids
    Free Member

So, I am a bit of an MP3 (or AAC etc) hoarder, and have about 9000 itunes files, so i think it's time to get rid of my beloved CDs and my Arcam CD72. I don't think i have listened to a single CD in well over a year, so i think i'll be fine. How should i best ditch the CDs? I looked at "musicmagpie.co.uk", but typing 250 barcodes into a website for only 50p each doesn't sound like fun…
    Any suggestions? After this, it's out with the DVDs… 🙄

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

£125? give them to me and I'll type them in.
    in fact. baggsie on that one

user-removed
    Free Member

First up, back up all your tracks (if you haven't already) on an external drive or perhaps several DVDs.

Personally, I'd buy a bunch of mailers and spend three nights getting the whole lot on ebay – register a creddly card and you can specify what time the listings are going to start – and ergo – finish. Perhaps a Wednesday evening, when folk are bored and sitting internetting? Spread the listings over a few weeks so you don't get snowed under and state in your listings that you post twice a week.

Lotta work, but better than sitting in front of the telly on cold, sleety, January nights…….

superlurch
    Free Member

I'd keep 'em in a box in the loft… just in case. 🙂

bensales
    Free Member

Forget Ebay. You can't charge postage on CD of DVD sales any more, so by the time you've paid postage and bought an envelope, you'll make a loss.

I did what superlurch is suggesting. All my CDs got ripped to iTunes and went into the loft in big plastic storage boxes. Not worth selling, but invaluable if any of the harddiscs dies.

DrJ

+1 for superlurch. I sold a bunch of CDs on Amazon and in the end it was just not worth the bother of making listings, buying envelopes, queuing at the Post Office, explaining to buyers that it's not your fault the post didn't come … oh no, that was ti_pin.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Forget Ebay. You can't charge postage on CD of DVD sales any more, so by the time you've paid postage and bought an envelope, you'll make a loss.

Just include the postage in your minimum start price. It's not hard! 🙂

hitman
    Free Member

skids what did you do in the end? Curious as I'm in a similar position

richmars

Just for interest, and not to accuse anyone of anything, but is it legal to sell the cd's and keep the tracks?

jon1973
    Free Member

Just for interest, and not to accuse anyone of anything, but is it legal to sell the cd's and keep the tracks?

I suspect it probably is, but how would anyone find out?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Aren't CDs digital………..

nbt

richmars – Member

yes it is. +1 more for superlurch, it's what I'll be doing when I can afford a digital wotsit

gravitysucks
    Free Member

I sold all my dvd's and CD's on ebay. Did a few bulk auctions though. I had mine in the loft for a few years and realsied I'd never use them again.
    Depends how many you have but I split my CD's into 100's and DVD's into 50's; spent a night typing a list of each bulk and then posted on ebay with a pic of them all laid out. You'll make more selling seperately but it'll be a mare and you won;t sell everything so will prob make the same money but just be left with a load of cd's no one wants.
    It took me one nights work. 6 listings over a couple of weeks and I made over £700. Job done

Jamie
    Free Member

Sell the discs as job lots maybe?

richmars

How is it legal? Surely there are now two copies, owned by different people, yet the rights owner has only been paid once.

AdamW
    Free Member

It is surely illegal. If you sell the CD then you're giving up your rights to it. By copying it then selling it you are breaking copyright laws.

That's why a load of places won't give refunds on CDs/DVDs unless there is something physically wrong with them as people buy them, rip them and ask for their money back!

nbt

WHoops sorry, badly phrased question and reply, I meant yes it's illegal

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

By that arguement, if already have the music on vinyl, why should you pay the same price for the CD, as you're only paying for the media, not the music, which you alreay have?

AdamW
    Free Member

I agree with you BBSB insofar as I get royally p1ssed off with shops selling you the same thing multiple times. Thank god that DRM on music is disappearing else you'd have a copy to play on your iPod, one to play on your CD-player, one to play in the car etc. all costing.

I thought the music was licensed to you? Still, it would be the same as buying a book, getting a photocopy done and then selling it on.

nbt

I thought the music was licensed to you?

IIRC, the argument of the music companies is that you are buying a licence to play that copy of the music – i.e. the vinyl version or the cd version etc. I agree with BBSB though, if I own something on vinyl already I won't be buying it on CD again unless there's a compelling reason

richmars

By that argument why not just make a 1000 copies on CD and sell each one? Because it's illegal. You have one copy (now on your PC). The CD doesn't really exist, hence you can't sell it.
    (I think.)

nbt

who what where? Are you asking me? I'm not planning to sell anything, as I said all my originals are going into storage. there's a difference between making a copy for your own convenience versus profiting from making copies and selling on

richmars

No, not you, missed/crossed post plus reading them too quickly! I think we are both saying the same.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Committing to digital.’ is closed to new replies.