Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Commencal frames cracking – isolated incidents or common?
  • Chase
    Free Member

I have been looking for a new frame and really liked the idea of getting a Commencal Meta 5.5. However a bit of research led me to this….

http://www.commencalownersclub.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=t53d77setvej71f1on9u1o85s6&topic=3224.0

Has anybody anything to add? Is this common or just a couple of isolated incidents. The frames only come with a two year warranty and following my bad luck with cars developing faults 6 months out of warranty should I have reason to be cautious?

druidh
    Free Member

I’m sure that, like all these things, you only ever here about the few isolated cases and not the vast majority of happy owners.

glenp
    Free Member

There might be some sort of selective history going on. But – I have heard similar stories with 5.5s. Maybe the 09 model is different.

However it isn’t all Commencals – we have hardtail hire bikes which are very thoroughly used and frames are all 100%.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ve met 2 guys who’ve managed to seperate their head tubes from the rest of their frame – one meta 5.5, one Supreme DH. Both were guides so had given their bikes some hammer. Both were sorted out under warranty reasonably quickly, although the 5.5 guy ended up with a black front triangle to go with his existing white rear.

I beleive Solamanda had, and broke, one too.

grumm
    Free Member

It did put me off when I looked into getting one – I doubt it’s that common but with the option of a Pitch with lifetime spesh warranty on the frame which they are apparently very good at honouring, I decided not to.

walleater

I’ve met 2 guys who’ve managed to seperate their head tubes from the rest of their frame – one meta 5.5, one Supreme DH. Both were guides so had given their bikes some hammer. Both were sorted out under warranty reasonably quickly, although the 5.5 guy ended up with a black front triangle to go with his existing white rear.

I beleive Solamanda had, and broke, one too.

Another one went too. Which meant a 100% failure record for the guides who chose to ride a Commencal! Hopefully things have changed as this was two years ago now.

mrmojo
    Free Member

Best place to ask would be commencal owners club.

null

DM52
    Free Member

My Commie hard tail cracked around the seat tube. It only took Madison / Commencal 5 months to rustle up a replacement.

I have been so put off by the whole experience I don’t think I would bother looking at that brand again.

Jamie
    Free Member

DM52:

My Commie hard tail cracked around the seat tube. It only took Madison / Commencal 5 months to rustle up a replacement.

5 Months? I would be swinging bombers/peeing in shoes at that.

Chase
    Free Member

Mmmmm. Hardly confidence inspiring is it? Shame really, because they get such good reviews.

I suppose the question needs to be asked “What other brands have a reputation for failing” otherwise it’s a bit unfair outing just one brand.

I know of a guy who went through 4 swingarms on a Mount Vision, and has also snapped all the major frame components on his 5 Spot. All had good warranty back up though.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Had a 55 for 2 years, so has a mate. We ride often in peaks, dales and wales and had no problems. Been to the alps with in on DH courses, bike took a hammering and apart from a bent bolt that holds the shock in place it was absolutely fine. Great bike and with the deals currently available I’d certainly get one.

druidh
    Free Member

As I said above – you’d really need to determine how many failures there have been vs. how many are in use. For instance, my 2007 Meta 5 VIP is still in one piece.

Chase
    Free Member

Yeah Druid, very true. It’s a bit like me as a postman. Everybody finds out about the wrongly delivered letter, but never mention all those that are correctly delivered every day.
    Don’t get me wrong, i’m not out to slate them. I just want a bit of feedback before splashing the cash.

myheadsashed

How many units do Commencal shift?

grahamt1980

A fair number of bikes get shifted I suspect.
    My 06 meta has taken a right kicking and seems to be fine, I got round to washing it yesterday and can’t see any damage, other than there isn’t a patch on the bike that hasn’t been scratched

retro83
    Free Member

Had an ’08 5.5.3 for a year now. Frame seems to be lasting fine, although I’ve gotten through the stock components fairly quickly 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Commencal frames cracking – isolated incidents or common?’ is closed to new replies.