Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Cold wet feet?
  • alanl
    Free Member

Out today, which wasnt too cold (8 degrees ish), but it was wet.
    I was only out for 1hr 20mins, when I was finished, my feet were frozen.

Any cures to keep them a little warmer?
    I was using basic cycling socks, which are never going to be good in wet cold conditions.
    I’ve tried Sealskins 10 years ago but found them a little bulky and didnt really help keeping them warm, and they do leak through the ankle cuff eventually.
    Neoprene overshoes are great for the road, but not ideal when off road
    Are newer water proof socks any better?
    If not, what is your best way of keeping warm feet?
    Thanks.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Thick merino socks.

Mountain warehouse ones.

Overshoes.

Not riding my bike has been the most successful though.

tjagain

goretex socks works for me ( needs to be long with trousers over them) – and keeping your core warm

Northwind

Merino isn’t as magical as people think, but it’s still good. I’ve got nice ones but my go-to now is the Mountain Warehouse merino explorer- quite chunky, and £7.50. You do need space in your shoes but they’re ace.

(I like waterproof socks, Dexshell have worked well for me but I appreciate not everyone agrees. Even in the worst case if they fill with water, at least it’s always the same water, which’ll get warmer than the endless fresh cold powerwasher blast that you can get otherwise)

If you’re in SPD shoes there’s various tricks to help with the conduction of cold through the cleat… If you’re on flats then there are some shoes that are better than others, Five Ten Guide Tennies are pretty great.

scaredypants

current sealskinz socks have a sort of rubber seal just inside the top – might keep a majority of water out from above (I haven’t worn mine yet so can’t promise).

Big pair of them with some thinnish wooly ones underneath ?

qwerty
    Free Member

Bigger shoes to allow better circulation with thicker socks and something to keep the water out (GoreTex shoe / overshoe).

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

When it’s really wet and cold I’ll wear Sealskinz over the top of some thin merino socks. Otherwise it’s one or two pairs of thinner merino socks. Got some nice ones from mountain warehouse that aren’t too thick and come in a twin pack. On days like today I think it’s important to keep your legs covered up, if it’s dry and cold I’m happy in 3/4 tights but slightly warmer and wet can feel colder. I got some fleece booties for inside my work boots, about £4 from the hunting section in Decathlon, might be worth a try.

ibnchris

Winter boots. Right tool for the job and all that 🙂

northernsoul

Dexshell have worked well for me

Me too. I have the thermlite, which have been great. I wear XL with socks underneath if it’s really cold, L otherwise. They’re usually about £20 a pair.

AdamT

Was out in my new winter boots earlier. Was great. It’s the first pair I’ve had and I can see why so many people recommend this option. Not cheap, but life’s too short to have cold, wet feet. (Northwave raptors btw)

alanl
    Free Member

Out again today, I tried my 1000 mile running socks, which are like 2 pairs of socks sewn together.
    They didnt help my left foot which was frozen again after a hour.
    Stopped off at Decathlon, and bought some Sealskins, which I hope will be better. They are certainly not as bulky as they were 10 years ago, and do claim to keep you warm. I’ll know next week when I do the De Panne beach race.
    Thanks all.

honeybadgerx

Knee-length sealskinz. Means when you splash through a puddle etc. The water hits a sock covered shin rather than running down into an ankle sock. Plus they keep the blood warmer heading down to your toes. If you find it a real problem then you probably want a pair of dedicated shoes – if anything just to give extra room as much being waterproof/insulated ones.

kentishman
    Free Member

I’ve used silk under socks in the snow and they have worked rather well.

chakaping
    Free Member

Defeet woolie boolie socks are the ones I wear for my coldest rides.

Your shoes aren’t too tight are they? That doesn’t help.

mountainman

Aldi waterproof socks ,cheap n cheerful and actually waterproof ,lasted 2 years so far,so the second pair i brought last year are still in the box untouched.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Go up at least half a size and then go for Sealskinz with decent socks under.

That said, yesterday I wore some of the new Sealskinz with the silicone tape at the top, under some Gore leggings (not Goretex) and with some Mavic winter boots and still got wet feet. But with a full size up and the water being trapped I had toasty feet and hadn’t actually realised they were wet until I got changed at the end of the ride.

Expensive winter boots probably best though!

fossy

Winter boots. Wear them most of the year unless it’s dry. They are ace !

sr0093193
    Free Member

DWR windproof soft shell trousers + Northwave x-cross GTX.

Stand in all the puddles…because you can.

orena45

Endura MT500 overshoes (with decent riding trousers) have been a game changer for me this autumn – my feet stay lovely warm and dry. I don’t tend to get off and push much anyway so can imagine they probably wouldn’t last long if hiking up loose stoney tracks, but mine have been very durable so far.

robcolliver
    Free Member

Heated socks. I can ride in neg 20 with these – I use flat pedals, a warm pair of walking boots and can stay out for the length of the battery; you can get some really cheap heated socks that use AA batteries or you can pay a bit more and get rechargeable ones – they have an elastic strap that wraps just above your calf which has the battery strapped to it.
    Problem gone away.

nickc

IME you need to stop (as much as you can) from letting your feet get wet. For me, (and most of these are going to be personal), as everyone’s different and has differents points at which their feet get cold (natch)

from 8-4 degs, I can get away with regular SPD (I use Giro) and Sealskins, they’re a lot better and more robust than they used to be (like bags) and have a variety of sizes (from ankle to knee) the longer the better frankly ,and knits (both weight and wool mix) It’s sounds stupid and obvious, but making sure your feet are both warm and dry at the beginning of the ride, and not pulling on cold shoes does delay the on-set of cold feet for a good 1/2 hour for me.

Any lower than 4 degs, then it’s winter boots time, I use Northwave Celsius, they let very little water in, and with a good pair of warm wool socks, can delay soggy feet for hours, and if it’s dry-ish than my feet won’t get cold at all. I can pair them up with Sealskins if it’s biblical, but in those sorts of conditions, you’re going to be v lucky not to get sodden toes eventually.

chevychase

These

Warm feet, when wet, when freezing.

oikeith

I too struggle from this, waterproof socks and good shoes helped. Covering my knees/legs helped more, I guess having warm legs helps warm blood arrive at the feet, I used to wear shorts in all temperatures, even though my muscles would be warm and I’d be sweating the skin on my legs would be very cold to touch and feel like being scolded when showering afterwards.

darkroomtim
    Free Member

Before moving to winter boots I used thin neoprene socks so getting wet feet wasn’t much of a problem.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Cold wet feet?’ is closed to new replies.