Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cold weather – boiler don’t work properly content..
  • geordiemick00
    Free Member

My GloWorm 30Cxi combi boiler failed to ignite over the weekend, due to low pressure.

Via Hive I could see from Friday onwards my house descending beyond the 10 degree frost setting right down to 4 degrees when I got home this morning. Re-pressurised the boiler and heating fired up and the house has warmed nicely over the day.

Come to run some hot water tonight and not a drip. No firing up of the boiler, not a sausage.

Is this the same as the usual ‘knock the diverter valve with a hammer’ scenario on a normal heating system?

The boiler has been running literally all day, so nothing should be cold on it now!

stumpy01

Condensation drain frozen up?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Condensate drain +1

Or the mid position valve. Take the actuator off the top and gently free the spindle by moving it with an adjustable spanner. Careful it only moves ~15deg each way.

frankconway

Get it serviced.

supremebean
    Free Member

Have you have switched the cold water valve off on the boiler elbow? If nothing is coming out of the tap that’s what i would check first.

Second elbow from the right underneath the boiler.

frankconway

I repeat – get it serviced; there’s no point fannying around with internet randoms who haven’t seen or inspected the boiler and most of whom – if not all – are not qualified to comment.
    If you take any of their advice, they have no liability or responsibility.
    To end where I started – get it serviced.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I repeat – get it serviced

It’s serviced every year.

Reason for the post is to see if there was a simple solution before I ring the plumber and get the inevitable “I’m booked up for two weeks” comment.

Or the mid position valve. Take the actuator off the top and gently free the spindle by moving it with an adjustable spanner. Careful it only moves ~15deg each way.

Funny you should say that, my kitchen tap packed in today. The plastic splines on the tap handle snapped and now has mole grips on the tap spline, but nothing from any of the taps.

Condensation drain frozen up?

Don’t think so, the pipe is inside the cupboard with the boiler and is warm as toast.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Have you have switched the cold water valve off on the boiler elbow? If nothing is coming out of the tap that’s what i would check first.

Second elbow from the right underneath the boiler.

It appears that I had switched this off!

Now, this appears to have been the only way I re-pressurised the boiler this morning. On all the manuals for the boiler is shows a filling loop, but the loop has no taps to turn, so I’m now melting my brain trying to remember how i’ve filled this in the past.

To be fair the boiler has been an absolute PITA and has had about 5 expansion vessels, which are a known weak point on these. It’s not cost me any money yet as it’s been covered by boiler care.

TheFlyingOx

Get a clear picture up of the pipes going into the boiler and any valves you can see.

Is the filing loop located somewhere else by any chance?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I have a 30cxi in my house. I have had to nurse it through a lot of issues.

Filling loop is the metal braided hose on the pipework entering the boiler. The taps are made of cheese so it is possible someone took them off and used a tool to open and close the valves.

supremebean
    Free Member

There is an internal filling loop. For that boiler it needs a tube thingy that pushes up through a hole on the bottom of the boiler on to the filling valve. Can’t remember what it’s called, it will be in the manual. The hole (or opening) is on the rhs of the underside of the boiler.

johnners
    Free Member

Or the mid position valve

Not on a combi, surely?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cold weather – boiler don’t work properly content..’ is closed to new replies.