Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Cluedo just got really dark. The QC, in the kimono, with the baseball bat.
  • jam-bo

Townies…

cloudnine
    Free Member

Jolyon Maugham QC has announced on Twitter that he clubbed a fox to death on Boxing Day morning, while wearing his wife’s satin kimono and nursing a hangover

CountZero

while wearing his wife’s satin kimono

Enquiring minds want to know…

devash
    Free Member

I think the lesson here is don’t post on Twitter.

twistedpencil

Aye for someone who should have an ounce of common sense about them, killing an animal then posting it on social media comes across as a touch dumb.  Still at least he’s admitted the crime so should be an easy prosecution 🙂

v8ninety

As an owner of chickens, can’t say I’m that bothered about the event. However I find it incredible that someone so evidently intelligent has had such an enormous failure of common sense as to bleedin’ TWEET about it. Just 🙄 really.

Still at least he’s admitted the crime

I’m not convinced a crime has been committed to be honest.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Assuming he didn’t manage to kill it humanely yes it has. Chances of managing to kill it humanely, with a bat, whilst it’s awake and unrestrained are about 0.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I see he’s also admitted to buying the bat to deter intruders.

Not a wise thing to say in public.

matt_outandabout

Pictures of the kimono are required before I pass judgement.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not a wise thing to say in public.

One is still struggling to display even the smallest modicum of original thought I see.

v8ninety

Assuming he didn’t manage to kill it humanely yes it has.

I see your point, but I think that the statutory defence would be around reasonable practicability. The argument would be that the fox couldn’t be safely released, or conventionally humanely dispatched, so in the circumstances the best was made with the equipment to hand. Unpleasant, but I’m not sure what he could have done differently in the circumstances. Why the **** he thought it sensible to tweet about it though is beyond me.

squirrelking
    Free Member

A deterrent is only worthwhile if it is known about.

Also, I don’t see the issue with that. If you have something you can use to reasonably defend yourself (weapon of opportunity) then how is the other party to know if you intend to do so or it is only to scare them. Either way, job done.

Poopscoop

I swear to God that after the Brexit vote I woke up in a parallel universe.

Poopscoop

And I want to go back.

Northwind

squirrelking

A deterrent is only worthwhile if it is known about.

Deterrant isn’t all before the fact- having something that you can wave at intruders deters them from doing anything more once you’re there.

frankconway

And your point is, caller?

frankconway

Flashy – what is the point of your post?
    Is it condemnatory of what was, allegedly, done – or the political persuasion of the self-confessed perpetrator?
    If the former, dim on Maugham’s part to twatter about it; will have the townies frothing.
    If the latter, yawn.
    I love game pie – properly made with hare as one of the ingredients; wouldn’t happen without ‘country sports’.
    You give the impression you’re a ‘country man’; if true, you would understand what happens in truly rural areas.
    Lamping to feed dogs with freshly killed rabbits, for example.
    If feral fox in urban environment, does anyone really care?
    Fox, pheasant, badger, rabbit, hare, squirrel run over on country roads by chelsea tractors – is anyone really bothered?
    Road kill burgers – could support food banks.
    Not bothered about what, allegedly, happened; ‘QC in kimono shocker’ is daily wail headline.
    As for bat (baseball, cricket or any other variety) for self-defence; what’s the problem?
    I would prefer shot-gun but there are legal considerations.

LAT

Also, I don’t see the issue with that. If you have something you can use to reasonably defend yourself (weapon of opportunity) then how is the other party to know if you intend to do so or it is only to scare them. Either way, job done.

a weapon of opportunity isn’t bought in advance as a weapon before the opportunity to use it. I imagine.

v8ninety

Whether it’s a weapon of opportunity or not is irrelevant because it’s not in a public place, I think. It’s not illegal to have offensive weapons in a private place.

tthew

The word that’s missing from this conversation is “premeditation”. If he has a bat purposely to be used as a weapon adainst intruders, and killed someone with it that’s a whole different charge to grabbing something heavy with a purely domestic function leading to the same outcome.

squirrelking
    Free Member

IANAL.

YANAL.

He is.

Pook

Maybe he should’ve worn a little red jacket and have it torn to shreds by dogs instead.

While tooting a little trumpet

kerley
    Free Member

Maybe he should’ve worn a little red jacket and have it torn to shreds by dogs instead.

Don’t you townies go questioning the ways of the country folk. These things can’t be changed after all.

seadog101

When I read this I though it was some sarcastic ironic rant about Boxing day drag/fox hunts.

Seems not.

DezB
    Free Member

To start a thread?

posting it on social media comes across as a touch dumb

It’s the way of the world now. Social media – post stuff you shouldn’t/never would say out loud and usually that nobody in the **** world would have had any interest in. Get used to it.

Drac

To start a thread?

Without an opinion or discussion from the OP. We have been discussing getting stricter on such posts as we’ve closed them in the past as it’s essentially trolling.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Boxing day drag

The wife’s kimono?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Still at least he’s admitted the crime so should be an easy prosecution

Sounds like the fox got caught in the electric fence around the chickens (it would have been electric as nothing else will keep a fox out).
    So, given that the fox has been getting zapped by the fence every couple of seconds, for God knows how many hours,I’d say that this guy has put it out of its misery with whatever he had to hand.
    Putting it on twatter is incredibly stupid and just illustrates his level of hangover.

CheesybeanZ

Big hitter keeping his post rate up .

MoreCashThanDash

Well, it’s started a thread, but pretty poor to post like that without offering up an opinion. It’s too lazy even to call it trolling.

I’m firmly in the “what else could he do” camp, easy with hindsight to come up with ideas but I’m not sure I’d know how to safely release a trapped, maybe injured, bitey wild animal.

The post on social media was dumb as **** though.

Drac

Sounds like the fox got caught in the electric fence around the chickens (it would have been electric as nothing else will keep a fox out).

i haven’t seen anywhere say it was electric fencing.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Nope, it doesn’t say, but as I said, the only fencing that keeps foxes out is electric.
    People with chickens know this and this guy could certainly afford it.

boomerlives
    Free Member

given that the fox has been getting zapped by the fence every couple of seconds, for God knows how many hours,I’d say that this guy has put it out of its misery with whatever he had to hand.

If he was less of an intellectual he might have done something practical, like turn the power off?

It’s likely his upbringing kicked in and killing it was the default option.

In drag.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Obviously turn the power off!
    The point I’m making is that this fox would have been continuously zapped by the fence if it was an electric one (it does says it’s netting which is what the electric ones are).
    I would imagine this would have had a serious physical effect on it.

kerley
    Free Member

We have kept chickens for over 20 years and have never even thought about having an electric fence. I don’t know anyone that does in fact.

pyranha

It’s not the first time he’s tweeted about wearing his wife’s kimono and wielding a baseball bat in the garden (11 November). Something may be less (or more) than it seems.

v8ninety

We have kept chickens for over 20 years and have never even thought about having an electric fence. I don’t know anyone that does in fact.

We do, our neighbours do and my folks do. It’s good because it’s also easily relocatable.

That being said; it’s a red herring in this discussion as there’s no evidence it was involved.

mercuryrev

ITV news managed to tweet a photo of a fox (handy if you don’t know what one looks like pre headstoving) and Jolyon, with a not quite out of focus sign behind him, reading ‘above the law’ (handy if you need to hate Jolyon even more).

The Right Wing doesn’t know whether to love or hate foxes now though….

Drac

Nope, it doesn’t say, but as I said, the only fencing that keeps foxes out is electric. People with chickens know this and this guy could certainly afford it.

So you made it up. My parents, grandparents and uncles kept chickens for years not once did they use electric fencing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Cluedo just got really dark. The QC, in the kimono, with the baseball bat.’ is closed to new replies.