Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Cluedo just got really dark. The QC, in the kimono, with the baseball bat.
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

Out of interest, are the people on this thread bemoaning his actions* all vegans?

If not, why are you posting?

* The whacking action, not the twittering action

sharkbait
    Free Member

No I assumed from the fact that the fox was caught in “the netting” which is what electric ‘fencing’ is.
    The only other netting I could imagine using would be chicken mesh but the holes are too small for a fox to get caught in.
    Electric netting on the other hand has small holes at the bottom to stop small animals and larger holes further up (because only larger, fox- sized animals, can get that high). These larger holes are big enough for a fox to potentially get stuck.
    Shall I post a picture to illustrate?

in 15 years the only times I’ve lost chickens to foxes is when our electric netting has been off.
    Friends without electric netting on the other hand used to get foxes in all the time.
    But then we’re in the county where foxes don’t have the luxury of discarded McDonald’s, etc that urban foxes have…. So maybe they’re less easily put off by non-electric netting.

DezB
    Free Member

Out of interest, are the people on this thread bemoaning his actions* all vegans?

Obviously not, or they would’ve mentioned it!! ARf! I made that joke up myself.

Drac

The only other netting I could imagine using would be chicken mesh but the holes are too small for a fox to get caught in.

Not once it’s tried to chew it’s way through. Not all netting is electrical fencing and not all electric fencing is netting.

No, I helped install it relatives farms many times, climbed over it hundreds of times when walking, shooting and biking.

boomerlives
    Free Member

These larger holes are big enough for a fox to potentially get stuck.

No. The grown up thing to do is say you aren’t as right as you first thought

blokeuptheroad

@sharkbait I live in Rural Shropshire between 2 farms and can’t see our nearest neighbours and we keep Chickens with no electric fence. We’ve had them for 4 years (currently 11 of them) and despite free ranging them and often seeing foxes we haven’t lost one to them yet. I have built a very secure coop and run, and only free range them when we are around to keep any eye on them and our dog is about to raise the alarm.

I have seen foxes in our paddock and found fox poo right next to the coop. I’m not complacent and am always on the look out for attempts at digging etc. but it is possible to safely keep poultry without electric fencing, even in the countryside. If I did go down the route of electric fencing I’d probably use the single strand of wire, not the mesh with one strand at fox nose height and another at the top of the 7 foot fence to deter climbing.

I’m in a small farmer’s rough shoot on the neighbouring farm. They are sheep farmers who lose a few lambs and pheasant poults to foxes so do shoot a few. It’s not particularly effective as there are so many about, shooting one merely creates a vacant territory which is rapidly filled. Having said that, whilst I tend to leave the local foxes to their own devices, if I caught one in my coop or trying to get in I would shoot it, but I’d be in no illusion that it would be any kind of long term solution.

The best way to protect chickens is to make their housing physically secure. It’s not too difficult.

anagallis_arvensis

Not sure I follow, did he eat if after?

Having read a little about it, the fox being trapped does sound a tricky situation, obviously shooting it would be the easiest option but without a gun, I reckon I may have tried throwing a tarp over the fox and holding it whilst someone cut it free although I suspect that might not work and could well be much easier said than done, an axe would be the next option, clubbing it with a baseball bat would have been quite low down my list and I certainly wouldnt twatter about it afterwards, because, well I’m not a complete **** ****!

v8ninety

No. The grown up thing to do is say you aren’t as right as you first thought

He’s neither right nor wrong, he postulated that’s it could be electric netting, because lots of people use electric poultry netting, which is true. I do and know lots of others that do too. Don’t be a point scoring smart arse, lol 😘

It’s a weird non argument because we don’t know whether the netting was electric, and if it was it’s largely irrelevant because as pointed out, it could be turned off, still leaving a possibly injured, aggressive, probably disease ridden urban fox tangled and trapped and in need of dealing with. I can’t see an issue with the decision to dispatch the creature with the quickest means to hand, the massive error of judgment was always going to be the decision to tweet about it.

It’s akin to Ronald McDonald tweeting “lolz! We slaughtered 1000 head of cattle as cheaply as possible today to keep you fed! #efficientkillinghmachine! #yummy!”

It’s true, and legal, but not going to do their public image any good because people find reality distasteful.

Drac

Spot on V8.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Not sure I follow, did he eat if after?

What has anyones value choice got to do with anything?

Just a point scoring sentence IMO.

anagallis_arvensis

Still dont follow why do you need to be vegan to think clubbing a fox to death and then posting about it on twitter is wrong?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Because it’s rank hypocrisy, that’s why.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Because it’s rank hypocrisy, that’s why.

Er, no. Its actually far removed from the normal method of dispatching an animal in either an abbatoir or wild setting. Except maybe taking a priest to a fish.

anagallis_arvensis

Because it’s rank hypocrisy, that’s why

Why?

Drac

Oh please nooooo!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Because being an animal raised and slaughtered in the UK is IMHO far less pleasant than being a wild fox that meets its end by being clubbed to death.

Obviously I wasn’t there when he dispatched it so may be mistaken, but have been to numerous farms, markets and slaughterhouses

Etc

anagallis_arvensis

Because being an animal raised and slaughtered in the UK is IMHO far less pleasant than being a wild fox that meets its end by being clubbed to death.

In your opinion.

but have been to numerous farms, markets and slaughterhouses

So have I and if a chicken, lamb or cow I was about to eat I found out had been clubbed to death with a baseball bat I wouldnt buy it.

All of which doesnt explain why I should not be allowed to express an opinion on fox clubbing and subsequent twattering about it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Obviously I wasn’t there when he dispatched it so may be mistaken, but have been to numerous farms, markets and slaughterhouses

Of course you have, yeah.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If every vegan who says they’ve been to an abattoir has actually been to one there must be queues arround the block of vegans on their daytrips.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

But getting back to the OP…

I wonder why he posted it. Here we have a “lefty” lawyer type – does quite a bit of human rights stuff, doesn’t like Tories, would rather we all paid taxes due, especially the wealthy and bloated corporations. Doesn’t like Brexit much. I wonder why an avowed Tory like Flashy would post this tweet, which of course, has caused all kinds of outrage. Without comment. (Other than the title of the thread, shamelessly nicked from Twitter, like many of his smears on various threads…cf. anti-semitism, labour leadership, etc. etc.).

The OP is a long-time fox-hunting supporter, so we can infer isn’t in the slightest bit bothered about cruelty to foxes. He also (not openly of course, but in that snide way to which we’re all accustomed) boasts occasionally about shooting animals – “But yaw, I eat them y’know…” And let’s face it, with his weight issues, he’s never going to catch a wild animal all by himself, so using a gun is all but essential. So why post this thread? Well, cripes, I have no idea, have you? I’m sure he’ll post his actual opinion on it at some stage…like he does after the smears he copies and pastes on other threads. He does do that doesn’t he? You mean he doesn’t?

Tally ho pips!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

The story was all over Twitter, hit the front pages on a slow news day, the OP probably underplayed it

I wonder why he posted it. Here we have a “lefty” lawyer type – does quite a bit of human rights stuff, doesn’t like Tories, would rather we all paid taxes due, especially the wealthy and bloated corporations.

If you are telling me he doesn’t get and use tax minimisation advice from his accountant then frankly you are delusional

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If you are telling me he doesn’t get and use tax minimisation advice from his accountant then frankly you are delusional

I always tend to think adverbs are the tools of the hard of thinking and as is your habit of appearing to be a bit short of intelligence, you don’t let us down. I doubt you ever will. Let’s be honest, by constantly posting #BackBurgon to no real reaction, you’ve shown that like any imbecile, you don’t bore that easily. Even without getting the attention that, like a toddler, you desire.

One day you’ll post something actually worth reading, and you’ll be positively tumescent by the attention you’ll get. I don’t think any of us need hold our breath.

anagallis_arvensis

If every vegan who says they’ve been to an abattoir

Have any vegans on this thread said that?

v8ninety

Feeling particularly acerbic last night were we, Mr Darcy? 😂😂😂

kerley
    Free Member

But then we’re in the county where foxes don’t have the luxury of discarded McDonald’s, etc that urban foxes have

I am also in the country, clearly a different part. Foxes are very rarely seen unless out at night and catch one in lights. I have literally seen 3 in 10 years. They are very scared of humans and don’t go anywhere near houses in daylight. As long as the chickens are away before it is dark there is zero risk of foxes. In fact the mink were more of a problem a few years ago…

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Have any vegans on this thread said that?

Indeed not.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Why would you think that?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

. I doubt you ever will. Let’s be honest, by constantly posting #BackBurgon to no real reaction, you’ve shown that like any imbecile, you don’t bore that easily.

When was the last time I did that?

Just want to clarify what the accepted definition of “constantly” is so I can optimise the post rate

Anyway back to the point, does the QC in question “optimise” his tax liabilities or not?

outofbreath
    Free Member

No charges, and (he claimed on R4 this morning) he was legally required to kill the fox. TBH that does sound plausible to me, no sense in letting it suffer.

Pook

he claimed on R4 this morning) he was legally required to kill the fox

I don;t think that’s what he said. I think he said he was legally justified in killing the fox.

chakaping
    Free Member

I heard that. Got the impression he was selectively quoting the law, after being a bit miffed at the opening Q.

Did anyone ask why he had a baseball bat in the first place? For the QCs softball league perhaps?

outofbreath
    Free Member

I don;t think that’s what he said. I think he said he was legally justified in killing the fox.

I thought he said required, but I can’t be bothered to listen again to check.

Either way, no charges.

perchypanther
    Free Member

For the QCs softball league perhaps?

The Conviction Dodgers?

big_n_daft
    Free Member
Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Cluedo just got really dark. The QC, in the kimono, with the baseball bat.’ is closed to new replies.