Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Clipless Curious
  • singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Thinking of having a go MTB clipless. Already ride clipless on road so I now roughly what to expect.

I’ve can use a set of Time ATAC Alium pedals, as they were left in my car by a forgetful friend a few years back but i think i prefer the idea of having some sort of cage in case i can’t get my foot back in when heading downhill.

Any suggestions for good value, reliable and well functioning clipless pedals? Preferably something similar to the DH Mallets but with a significantly lower price!

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’ve never had a problem clipping back i mean never ever.

Also the its nit like missing in a road shoe plenty enough grip not not immediately fall off!

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

That’s more reassuring. I’d assumed it would be as slippery as it is on the road bike.

So a cage round the outside isn’t too essential?

lunge

Not really, some say it gives you a bigger area to aim at when you’re clipping in, others say the platform catches on your shoes and so makes it harder but that’s pretty marginal. Shimano 520’s can be had for £20 and are a damn fine start point, the work well and last a long time.

geoffj

Depending on the shoes, the cage can be a hindrance.
    It’s too easy to slip off the cage when not properly clipped in ime.

Scapegoat

M530s have a cage, easier target, but just as easy to slip off if muddy. There are some with a grippier edged cage, I think they’re M454. More expensive, but arguably better are, I think m640 something.

Scapegoat

M545 have an alloy cage with toothed edge.

frood
    Free Member

TIME mtb pedals are superior to shimano in all but price though 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

it think i prefer the idea of having some sort of cage in case i can’t get my foot back in when heading downhill

It’s not an issue, take it from someone with 20 years of SPD experience. Or rather, you do sometimes miss, but a cage won’t help much. The design of the shoe helps the most – my new Spesh shoes have a great big channel in the middle so clipping in is super easy. IMO one of the advantages of clipless is being able to use proper stiff soled shoes, and these don’t work well on cages at all.

I struggle to see past Shimano pedals. Their budget offerings are cheap and very solid. There are some light ones from the likes of Boardman (that look suspiciously like Xpedo from years back) but in my experience they will either break or develop loads of play. You can get Shimano for cheap online.

andyv
    Free Member

IMHO if you have decent stiff shoes then a cage isn’t necessary, If you have bendy sole shoes then a cage supports your feet and stops the shoe bending around the pedal spindle. Again not necessary but perhaps more comfy.

I don’t think having a cage helps at all if you miss a clip as you have the clipless pedal bit sticking up in the middle anyhow, and the lump of brass in the middle of your shoe both conspiring to be as ungrippy as possible! the cage sits as a low point around these so is useless.

Just make the clip.

I’m a Candy Bros fan and use eggbeaters on the ‘fast’ bikes when I wear decent fast xc shoes, but mallets (cheap old ones off ebay) for when I’m on the comfy bikes pottering around with big fat sponges on my feet.

molgrips
    Free Member

M520s are £15.99 on CRC currently.

nairnster
    Free Member

I just ordered a pair of m530 pedals and some m065 shoes for the total of £63, so can let you know how i get on in a few days time.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Cheers nairnster. Look forward to hearing ho you get on

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TIME mtb pedals are superior to shimano in all but price though

True.

Time pedals are simply excellent.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Molgrips which spesh shoes have you got?

Tried the 2FOs on yesterday but wasn’t too sure about the fit.

Flaperon

Time do a set of pedals with a cage if that helps.

I’ve had the misfortune of losing a cleat at the start of a ride in the Lakes. You can – just – ride unclipped on a Time pedal but it’s a miserable and somewhat unpredictable experience.

If it helps, it was that unpleasant that I now carry a spare set of cleats and bolts in my Camelbak.

molgrips
    Free Member

BG Sport, the new ones.

nairnster
    Free Member

My shoes and pedals arrived today. Was planning on a long ride but its now pissing it down here (what heatwave?), so will give some opinion in a few days.

First impressions are good though with the pedals nice and easy to clip into with the mo65 shoes. Definitely not as slippy as road SPD sl.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

nairnster – Member
    My shoes and pedals arrived today. Was planning on a long ride but its now pissing it down here (what heatwave?), so will give some opinion in a few days.

First impressions are good though with the pedals nice and easy to clip into with the mo65 shoes. Definitely not as slippy as road SPD sl.

Thanks for the update.

Pretty much convinced myself to go and get some clipless shoes and cleats. 3 weeks to get used to them before the alps!

mrjmt
    Free Member

I must say I’m rather enjoying the recent threads on people wanting to try clipless.

Glad I never sold out to flats while they were a la mode.

nairnster
    Free Member

Bit more of an update.

I am defintely pedalling smoother with the spds on the mtb than with the flats. I always span well on the road bike, but didnt realise how choppy it was on the mtb until I changed.

Its easy to clip in and out, and on the couple of occasions where i have tested pedalling without clipping, its been ok, and would probably be even better with a skate/bmx style clipless shoe.

The M065 shoes i have are pretty comfy. Ordered a 45 as opposed to my normal 44 and they fit just right. The only niggle/s i have are:

The cleat can still be felt contacting the ground when walking, and feels as though it could be potentially dangerous on wet rock.
    The top of the tongue digs into my ankle a bit. This couldbe solved by trimming it a little, but I am going to see if it softens up and digs in less.

All in all, pleased with my purchase, but will keep the flats just in case.

andyl
    Free Member

M530s are excellent. Used to have 540s without the cage but I much prefer the caged versions as I get less hot spots. Could be due to my shoes being a bit flexy but if you are tired and on a tricky climb and need to start off again then being able to just mash on the caged pedal to get you going really helps.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Still waiting for my cleats to arrive so won’t get to try them out the new shoes until this weekend.

My other half described them as orthopaedic boots. I think that means she doesn’t like them.

A slight point of concern when buying the cleats thru CRC is that they’re described as XC cleats/cleats for XC pedals. Should I worry if I’m going to be using these pedals for heavier duties?

(Time ATAC Aliums by the way – http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/pedals/product/review-time-atac-alium-pedals-14748/ Can’t find a link to the actual product page)

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

nairnster – Member

Snip…

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear they’re less fussy than road pedals, that was a key concern.

I also have similar concerns about cleat contact with ground but though that I’d probably not wear the clip shoes when I’m doing any serious hike-a-bike, partly due to the clip and partly due to the stiffness of the shoe, which I think will cause loads of blisters on a long push up.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Clipless Curious’ is closed to new replies.