Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • clio windscreen wiper problem
  • pjt201
    Free Member

windscreen wiper fuse went this morning in my mk11 (1996) clio (ok, so not as nice as some of the cars you guys go on about…). have replaced it and now the wipers work, but when you turn them off they just stop wherever they are in the cycle (ie in the middle of the windscreen). has some other relay or something gone? is this why the fuse went before?

Brainflex

its a renault n french, there’s your problem!

pjt201
    Free Member

helpful. thanks.

Del

i don’t really know the ins and outs of wiper driving but i imagine the power to the relay to run the wiper motor would normally be held on until the park switch was hit, at which point it would be shut off. on that basis, your guess of some other relay is not a bad one. however i suspect that this is handled internally to the wiper motor, so you may be better off just learning to live with it.
    think you’ll find this is the perfect stw post – speculation without any real knowledge. 🙂
    HTH

pjt201
    Free Member

More helpful than the above one! Yeah, i think it’s probably a switch inside the wiper workings now. Will take it apart and have a look on the weekend and see if it’s an obvious fault and if not track down a cheap replacement on ebay i think.

Del

if you thought i was helpful before:
    first result for renault wiper not parked on google!

m0nster2
    Free Member

There is indeed an internal ‘switch’ inside the motor gearbox.
    As the motor rotates it passes over said switch or plate every cycle – but ignores it.

The electrical pins in the motor connector are (generally): Hi (Speed wipe), Low, Ground and park.

When you indicate that you want the wipers to park it is communicated via the park pin, making the park switch live.
    The next time the motor ‘sees’ the switch it stops.

So.
    If yours is not stopping (where it should) it is likely to be either:
    1) The signal from your stalk to your motor is not getting there
    2) The park switch is gerf*cked/corroded/

In my experience it will be #2 90% of the time.
    It is not readily fixable short of replacing the motor.
    Sorry.

PS.
    Del: “..Think you’ll find this is the perfect stw post – speculation without any real knowledge…”

🙂
    You know what – normally I couldn’t agree with you more – but – and I don’t readily admit this, but the irony was too much to take – my job (includes) designing wiper systems.
    🙂

jonb
    Free Member

Does it cut out at low revs? When it does it’s the idle control!

Try googling parkers, the forum is full of good advice, just like stw 😉

pjt201
    Free Member

Del – Member

if you thought i was helpful before:
    first result for renault wiper not parked on google!

Nice one Del! I’ve been googling all day and not found that, must have put in the wrong thing. Will check all the fuses when I get home – could only find one last night but sure there must be others as the rear wiper wasn’t on the same fuse as the front.

Digimap
    Free Member

The ones I’ve seen have a circular copper contact inside the motor. Each wipe is one revolution of the motor. The circular contact has a gap in it at the park position. Two signals go in, one energises the circular contact(always on), one goes direct to the motor(switched). Wipers on and they run continuous, wipers off and they run until they hit the gap in the circular contact and stop. With no constant supply to the circular contact the wipers would run fine but stop in a random position when you take power away just like if you switch the ignition off mid wipe.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘clio windscreen wiper problem’ is closed to new replies.