Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Climbing wall in Fort William? Maybe…!
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

No connection, apart from being relatively local, just saw it on a friends facebook page. Might be of interest to one or two on here?

http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/three-wise-monkeys-climbing

peterfile
    Free Member

They’re missed a massive opportunity there….climbing session with Dave!

I scrolled down the list looking for it and simultaneously trying to think about how much i’d be willing to pay, but it wasn’t there. Wonder if it’s due to sponsorship issues?

Will back it regardless…although I do wonder how it will affect the already relatively quiet Ice Factor.

Spin
    Free Member

Could well kill the Ice Factor.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I think since he bought the skiing place at Braehead he’s not overly interested in the Ice Factor. It ticks along but it’s getting a bit tired looking. Have you seen the ice wall in there recently?

Spin
    Free Member

Haven’t been for years. No doubt Jamie will come up with some other crazy scheme.

peterfile
    Free Member

I was just about to say that they didn’t appear to be spending anything on it anymore (but originally thought that was down to lack of funds after the Xscape commitment).

The problem it will now face is the location of kinlochleven. When you’re in Glencoe and the weather is rubbish then it’s worth the trip, but let’s be honest, how many of those visitors will actually be staying in Kinlochleven? So those that are staying north of the bridge will probably just head back to Fort William and use the wall there. Plus, a load of the more regular folk who pop down on a weekend must come from Fort William area too.

As spin says, could be the end of it.

The food is absolutely diabolical, but it’s a nice wee venue otherwise and I’ve got a load of fond memories of rainy autumn afternoons there.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Hard to say, guess they might have to step their game up a bit if they want to compete. On the other hand, the potential new one could be a big positive for FW.

peterfile
    Free Member

They could maybe exploit their location on the WHW a bit more?

Or bigger/better ice climbing facilities (not sure how feasible that would be financially mind you).

I do wonder whether they make enough from group bookings alone to keep the place ticking over. Those sorts of alliances are less likely to be lost simply because a new centre has opened.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Climbing wall in Fort William? Maybe…!’ is closed to new replies.