Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Ciclo Montana – any opinions?
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’ve decided on the holiday i want and have decided to to with Ciclo Montana, several reasons but an important one for me was the provision of an evening meal.
    Seeing as i’m going alone i rather fancied the idea of a post-ride communal meal rather than some lonely schlepp down to a restaraunt to end up eating on my own – i assume that the others in the riding group would be friends/couples and i don’t like to intrude.
    The location looks stunning, some of the trail pics look damn scary and i’m really looking forward to it!

Anyone been with them before?

wool

Been a few times, Tagged on a to big party first time on my own, Food good with wine!everyone round a big table. Fantastic riding with Marco who is able to work out routes to keep all the factions happy, I will be going again!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Sounds good 🙂

It can be a bit daunting doing something like this on your own – been 20yrs since i used to holiday alone so kinda lost the feel for it!

donsimon
    Free Member

Get yourself to Sierra Cycling and take a wander through Fuengirola on the Saturday night, you won’t be riding solo for long. 😉

crikey
    Free Member

It’s really good.
    The initial transfer seems like you are driving for ever, but it’s not actually that far. The riding is excellent, the food is ace, and enough to drink, although when you stop off in Pitres on the way there, go in the supermarket and buy lots of beer and some extra wine, as well as a bit of snacking stuff and some breakfasty stuff.
    If you get the offer of the trip to Granada, go go go…

It rained a bit when I went, and isn’t always super warm, but you’ll love it.

My only issue was that it all turned out a bit of a dear do; £30 each way for bike didn’t help..

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Crikey – none of the Spanish bike firms are ‘cheap’ now it seems, and TBH i reckon most seem to offer a good deal for the money. Flights have become a bit more expensive though thats for sure. X amount for the flight then add on a bike for XXX then a suitcase/bag for XX amount and suddenly 😯

I thought breakfasts were provided?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

DS – been with SierraCycling before and really enjoyed it, Fuengirola is a bit ‘Blackpoolish’ though 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

That’s what I mean, if you can’t find someone to have dinner with there etc… 😉

woodsman
    Free Member

You won’t be eating on your own with Ciclo. All eve meals are provided and everyone eats around the table together. On the day they eat at the local bar, again everyone goes together. Don’t worry about that. You make your own breakfast, all food inc lovely eggs provided.

Riding is superb! A good climbing full suss would be best, your hardtail or you would get a bit beaten up otherwise.

I’ve been twice, would go again in a heartbeat. It’s real Spain! Learn a few words for some added status amongst the locals. pase un bien tiempo!

senorj

I’ve been with ciclomontana several times.
    The riding is great,the food is great,the location where you will stay is amazingly beautiful – ace view.
    Marco is an excellent guide and very good company.
    They do go up a few hills but always at a sensible pace unless the swedish female mtb team are there! 😀
    Breakfast is provided, you just pour it in the bowl/cook it yourself.
    Marco takes you to v.cool little bars for lunch & you put money in a kitty for that – v.reasonable prices. –
    you’ll have 3 courses everyday -mmmm – maxibon/creme catalan mmmmmmm
    you will need it.
    Dinner is always lovely and filling.
    One year I took photos of every meal ’cause it all looked amazing. 😯

You will not regret it if you go, you get to see some beatiful countryside/villages ,Trevelez , the highest village in Spain for example.
    If the Granada trip is on , go +1
    If you want to go out partying every night, don’t go.
    Full suss fo’ sure.
    Have fun.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Just got to decide which bike to take now… 😉

Def not looking to party every night, a few beers and maybe a book by the pool will suit me after a hard days riding.

Ooooh i want to go now!!

Yetiman
    Free Member

Our group has been riding with Ciclo since the late nineties, and there are many reasons why we keep going back, most of which has been covered by senor j above. lovely family, great guides, awesome riding, fantastic location and delicious food…..

senorj

You can use the pool to cool your aching muscles.
    It is not a heated pool 😯
    The Bar up the hill in Fondales(15/20 minute walk) has some entertaining locals – you’ll probably go there for pizza night.

I’m jealous now. I may have to do some diy this weekend ,to build up my mtb holiday points again.

Gary_C

MD, to answer your o.p……do it !!

I went with a group for a week last October, & again for a week this April, & we are going again next March.

Breakfast is a make your own affair, but everything you’ll ever need is provided, evening meals are a sit down communal affair in Marco & Jackies home, & the meals are fantastic. A already said above, one night is pizza night up in Fondales, & that is one not to be missed!

On the first days riding, one of the early ports of call is Pitres just up the road, where you can stock up on beer etc & Jackie will take them back to the ranch in the van.

Marco, & his team do a superb job, their guiding is second to none & the atmosphere there is ace.

Is it not March yet???

🙂

EDIT: If you like fresh oranges, or fresh lemons, you just go & pick them off the trees next to the pool, lovely !

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

OOO we are off with Sierra Cycling in 2 weeks… can’t wait!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Can’t wait – just mailed some money across 🙂

Whats the weather like in October?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

M-C, you been with Sierra Cycling before?

footflaps

Really enjoyed riding with them – trails are very knarly – take DH tyres and go tubeless if possible.

Some photos here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brf/sets/72157616094483019/

Adam & Marco by brf, on Flickr

Gordymac
    Free Member

Absolutely fantastic place to go, Just beware that when Marco says “it traverses for a wee bit” What he actually means is its uphill!

Ask him to show you Gordymac’s climb Tee hee 😆

Gordymac

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Oh dear, please tell me i don’t need a full face helmet and storm trooper full body harness??? 😯

rickmeister

Ha, How Do They Do It For The Money? Get jiggy with Marco and Dave Froy, master of Pitres comedy moments and coffee affectionado. have been many times and dont tire of the trip. Great food and genuine hospitality. All the tips above are spot on. Also book a session with matt the Oiling boy on Wednesday. Sports massage par excellence.

Carlos’s bar for pizza is a good place too. Night ride and the next day in granada well worth it.

They know all the history, trails and great lunch bars to make it really good. Loads of patience as well but encouragement to push on and progress.

Enjoy.

crikey
    Free Member

Nah, you don’t need a full face, but pads are a good idea just to stop the thorn bushes from hurting. I fell off every day we were there, just never relaxed enough, but none of it is super gnarly.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Is it me, or does everyone think they are going to be complete rubbish compared to everyone else, and have to mince down everything on foot???

crikey
    Free Member

You’ll be absolutely fine, honestly. The only thing I would have done differently is to use bigger discs; my little ones were blue at the bottom of a couple of descents.

stumpy01

I’ve been with Ciclo Montana a few times – first year we possibly were out with Senor J…judging by the description of photos of every meal! :o)
    It’s all very friendly & chilled, most of what you need to know has already been said.
    Definitely need knee/elbow pads & I would recommend going tubeless. The first two years I didn’t and it’s a ball ache. With all the thorns you will puncture regularly.

As for the riding being technical – yes it is, but you just ride the bits you can & walk the bits you can’t. There’s never any pressure to be a hero.
    I’m a bit of a wuss on a lot of stuff, but still have a great time.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Looks like i need to invest in a tubeless system then. Hmmm…

crikey
    Free Member

We were advised that tubeless is better, but had 3 punctures between 9 of us all week, one was mine and was a thorn, and the other two were snakebites from 20 mph kerb bashing in Granada.

It’s just riding a bike, but with better lunches, better coffee, better views and much bigger hills.

Gary_C

IIRC pads are insisted on.

Weather wise when we went for the 3rd week in October last year it was hot & sunny all week, temperatures in the mid 20’s. Ideal.

Two ‘must do’ trails are Elephants Tail & Tourettes….. 🙂

EDIT: Of all my previous European mtb holidays, ( 5 times to Morzine, & twice to Les Arcs ) the couple of holidays i’ve had with Ciclo Montana have been the best by far.

oxnop
    Free Member

We have been twice. Fantastic, some of the best riding ever.

Been out to Les Arcs this year and I’d say the riding was as good but will defo go back with Marco and Jacky in the future!

footflaps

Tough sidewall tyres and tubeless are a must. I ripped a Nibby nic to shreds and had to plug holes in a tubeless High Roller DH tyre, but I don’t hold back on the rough stuff….

brooess
    Free Member

I went there solo in December 2003. Another English couple were there at the same time and we got on like a house on fire. They’re now divorced but Matt is one of my best friends.
    And yes, communal eating.
    You’ll have a great time, highly recommended…

woodsman
    Free Member

You’ll be fine, I did it on V-brakes! Some light weight pads would be useful – stick on your back pack on the ups and pad up for the downs. Tubeless would be useful too but I wouldn’t ‘invest’ just for one weeks holiday.

When are you going?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Going out on Sat 22nd of October for a week. I’ve not bothered with tubeless before ‘cos i’m already light at 9 stone (now i’ve weighed myself properly!) and can already run my tubes at 25psi. I very rarely puncture as it is, but recently i’ve had 2 – 1 on one of the mtb’s and 1 on the road bike. Before that i seem to have gone a year without a flat.

rickmeister

MD, Go tubeless for thorn defence, not low pressure running….

uplink
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry too much about it, it’s not like they’ll leave you if you have to stop to fix a puncture or two

Ghetto tubeless is effective and cheap if you do decide to give it a go

swavis

I was out there at the end of May this year and would go back in a heartbeat! Fantastic trails, guides and food.
    Oh and be prepared to be the best group all week 😉 😆

johnners
    Free Member

Muddy, I’ve solo’d on a few mtb hols, I’d do it again like a shot. Bike Village and AQR look after you especially well, and both do the communal evening meal round a table if that’s important to you. Excellent food at both too.

I’ve had a great week at CM too, but that was with a group.

traildog
    Free Member

I would go to Ciclo Montana every year if it wasn’t for my lack of money and injuries . They are my favourite holiday company and I love the location. I could quite happily live there. I am very jealous.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Well that’s the holiday booked 🙂 flights were more expensive than i anticipated but thats what you get when you book at half-term -doh!!

OK, i’m going to push my luck now….

What tyres for Ciclo Montana? 😛

Actually, a serious question. I’m taking my Wolf Ridge and it’s currently fitted with the tyres with which it was originally specced – wire beaded Minion DHF on the front and a wire-beaded High Roller 60a on the back.

I’m actually happy with the Minion (took it off for a good while but come to like it now) but the HR is pretty worn and due for replacement.

I’m not convinced about going to the expense of tubeless just for this trip, so what normal tyre for the rear end?

Niticed there are some High Roller DH going on CRC fairly cheap – what do they work like as a tyre for pedalling uphill?

stumpy01

Mark swears by Larsen TTs and a mate of mine who used them last time, reckons they were great. I think they are 2.35 dual plys.

I used Spesh Purgatory (f) & Captain (r) last time which seemed to work well.

Not sure what the expense of tubeless is…
    Just use a few loops of electrical tape on the rims, get some valves & tubeless ready tyres, then you just need some sealant.
    To be honest if you’re going in a month I would do it ASAP if you are considering it so you can get used to it.
    One thing to do when running tubeless is to regularly check your tyre pressures. You can lose a bit of pressure, not notice it & have the tyre come off the rim.

But it was definitely worthwhile for me, considering the year before I was getting a couple of thorn punctures a day.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Ciclo Montana – any opinions?’ is closed to new replies.