• This topic has 2,564 replies, 264 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by Merak.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,281 through 2,320 (of 2,565 total)
  • Tamiya and other R/C vehicles (not just for Christmas)
  • neilnevill
    Free Member

I’ve just heard from beyondrc that mjx are doing a 2s and 3s version of the hyper go, 45kmh and 60kmh capable it seems, reviews coming soon. They are the new tracer I feel.

neilnevill
    Free Member
    neilnevill
    Free Member

The first 2 have arrived!  So a month to get here and 2 less than estimated, pretty good.  Had one out the box to look over and it seems good.  It’s now at the back of the wardrobe…. Going to be hard keeping this as a Christmas present!

neilnevill
    Free Member

Kids in bed so I grabbed it out the wardrobe for a longer look over. It looks Tough little bugger! Really does! X-maxx like body fix system with a roll cage under the shell, seriously beefed and braced chassis, metal drive train, heat sink and fan on the motor, scuff guards on the body shell…. There’s not much I feel the need to do to this.

I might have to strip it to reach the motor as I’ve a feeling there’s no conductive potting between the motor and heat sink(kind of makes the sink SB insulator!)…a minimal amount of shoo goo….a bit of coke can scuff guardage…. Oh and probably most important I might knock up a DIY vacuum former to make an inner shell/dust and splash guard by forming a pet pop bottle.

fatbrad
    Free Member

I’ve just bought myself an HPI RS4 MT2 and Kyosho Inferno both off eBay. Both need a little work but engines sound like they should be OK. But we shall see. Little wander to Antics for some fuel, glow plug and Glow Start and they should be running by Sunday 😀

neilnevill
    Free Member

The third of my hyper go have arrived so I’m set to play with my 2 girls come Christmas.

I’m thinking we would benefit from some spare batteries so I’m looking at 2s lipos that fit. The originals are marked as only 25C so no great temp requirement and from a measure of the battery tray something 100*20*34 would fit (after a bit of relieving of the arm that secures the battery to the tray), so it looks like 2200amph. Individually these seem to be about £20 on eBay so £60 for one spare each. Although I found a pack of 8 for £95 …. Probably overkill but I’ve no idea how long the kids will play at a time.

Amy recommendation on a charger? Or where to buy batteries if not eBay?

Merak

Completed this today.

weeksy

Why are the plates different?

Made you check didn’t I 😃

Merak

^No.

MrOvershoot

That’s very nice Merak, would have loved it in the original road version of Black and Silver 🙂

Merak

MrOvershoot

Oh nice Merak love the boxy era of rally cars, probably as they were current when I started driving.

rockhopper70

@merak, I have to say those paint schemes and work you do are amazing. Are they all on a similar chassis? Are the body shells third party ones as I can’t see anything like that from Tamiya.

Keep it up, I love seeing your work. Far too good to drive with though!

Northwind

I looked at that Talbot for way too long before I realised it was a 1:1. I was thinking man, Merak has really outdone himself this time…

Merak

Cheers for the kind words folks. The Sunbeam and the 131 are from L&L Models aftermarket for Tamiya 190mm chassis.

I don’t use them, the shells. I couldn’t bare to scratch them.😂 I have and SCX -24 for messing about with.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Thanks to this thread I’ve bought an MJX Hyper go from AliExpress. The sale is on for anyone interested. It’s for the lads Xmas but I’m just as excited.

bfw

How about some vintage RC cars and buggies?

I use to work in a LHS back in the very early 80’s and raced early buggies 1/10 and 1/8 and then circuit 1/8. Here are some of my collection, mostly finished and all running.

Tamiya F2 Martini Renault to finish one day

Sigma Sankyo BMW running a OS21FSR

Kyosho Landjump 4D - first 4x4 1/8th buggy

with original box - 1980

My 1/8th SG Columbia Mk2's, running period Picco and OPS engines

I have a few more, inc a PB Mustang 1/8th buggy and a PB Nova 1/8th circuit car – work in progress

bfw

close up of the SG Columbia

Oh a Re-Re Sandscorcher almost finished

Sandscorcher

squirrelking
    Free Member

So I’ve been dipping in and out of this thread for a while and now considering dipping my toe.

I like the look of crawlers for fairly accessible dicking about with hopefully less outlay on crash damage. Those FFX models would be great if it wasn’t for the fact they come ready built. Is there anything available in kit form or even convertible with lower gearing that could scratch both itches and even go for a razz in the car park? Is that even possible?

luket

I like the look of crawlers for fairly accessible dicking about with hopefully less outlay on crash damage. Those FFX models would be great if it wasn’t for the fact they come ready built. Is there anything available in kit form or even convertible with lower gearing that could scratch both itches and even go for a razz in the car park? Is that even possible?

@squirrelking
    I asked a similar question last year. Just had a look for it and it’s on page 53 of this thread (sorry, don’t know how to link to a specific post). I haven’t bought one so far but there are some answers/comments in discussion there which I’m still tempted to follow to scratch that itch at some point.

Like you, I’d also want it to come in kit form. However the crawler world does look like 90% RTR and there were some wise words to the effect of – “best way to get a crawler kit is buy a RTR and take it to bits”. That’s probably not for me though.

bigginge

If you’re after a crawler kit I’d either recommend one of the Traxxas TRX4 kits if you are happy to spend a bit of money on it. Or if you’re after something a little less pricy one of the Carisma or Element kits.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/electric/models/rock-crawler/un-assembled-kit?

Northwind

SCX10 comes as a kit but tbh it’s not the best way to buy one. I went that road just because I didn’t like any of the complete builds, they all had at least one thing I didn’t like

A chinese clone kit could be a good option though? Something that can still use an existing ecosystem of parts and aftermarket. If I were building a new crawler today, I reckon I might go that route except put a bit of money into the strongest, heaviest, turn-angliest axles I could.

barney
    Free Member

I’ve built a Carisma – pretty good for the money. Bushings and bearings in the right places (if you’re planning on getting it wet – I replaced all the bushings with bearings as I’m not).

squirrelking
    Free Member

Oh those Traxxas kits look lovely but, lovely price too!

Hmm.

It really sounds like I’m looking at spending R2R money either way and I have an annoying habit of always buying the “wrong” kit in terms of customisation support and such. Maybe best go away and have a rethink after I’ve looked at the options you gave.

Cheers guys!

Northwind

TBH it’ll most likely end up getting torn apart and rebuilt regardless of what you buy… I think the main thing I learned from mine is to try and stay with standard parts where they break- I got some really nice axles but it was 6 weeks for a replacement when I broke a uj, and nothing else fitted. I redid it with stock axial internals, and cheap chinese steel axle housings and brass knuckles and got a pretty awesome combo of super heavy, strong, cheap and easy to live with. But during lockdown especially being able to get bits from a load of different sources was hugely useful.

I love the dragging through aliexpress looking for the perfect bit though 🙂

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yeah that sounds about right.

In the meantime I’ve ordered an HBX 16889A Pro with spare batteries. Go figure. Vaguely justified by the thought that if I got bored then the motor and ESC should probably work with an Outback 3. Probably.

Pierre

@bfw that’s a lovely looking collection!

reluctantjumper

@Merak – lovely work as usual! The trouble is seeing what you achieve always puts me off doing my own. Still haven’t got any further than cutting out the replacement Lancia shell and I now have a Proline Power Wagon one for my crawler to attempt too.

Or if you’re after something a little less pricy one of the Carisma or Element kits.

I’ve got a Carisma and an Element crawler, definitely got the Element one if you go this route. Designed so much better and far more capable too. The Carisma also uses an odd wheelbase size so if you want to do different bodies it can be hard to find one that fits.

clubby

I went for a Gmade BOM kit and it has been great. Build instruction not as good as Tamiya but the parts seem decent quality.

RicB

Schumacher have released a Classics version of the Procat

https://www.racing-cars.com/news/news283/procat-classic-launched

Brings back many happy memories! And some less happy ones of getting those crucifix joints into the axles, and avoiding the main belt slipping off the front diff!

Merak

Finished this yesterday.

bigrich

@merak I’m doing one of those (badly) for my Lancia xv 01

What order did you do the paint on the suits?

It doesn’t help my eyes have degraded in the last 30 years and I have to aim for the blur.

Merak

@bigrich this one’s for sale!

bigrich

I’m quite enjoying a peaceful hour after the kids are in bed consisting of glass of wine, music, and cack handed painting!

Merak

Understand! This is my first one so I’m no expert but TS black for the body, v important to mask drivers as photo.

Then Tamiya acrylics then flat clear!

benp1

That’s very cool

(anyone notice their HUGE hands?!)

chestrockwell

Terra

Just had a trip to Modelsport to pick up one of these so I can play out with my son and his Lunchbox. This makes me happy.

DT78
    Free Member

Get yourself a set of magnifying specs, look geeky but make a huge difference to painting miniatures and the like, that and a proper light. I thought I had bad hands, but it turns out I just couldn’t really see!

Merak

Another cockpit build finished. These are a lesson in patience. I’m in awe of the stuff on the Airfix thread.🙌

+1 for magnifying specs and a proper light
    Its like having superpowers!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yass! After Banggood cancelling my first order (supplier took too long to fulfil) my HBX turned up! Pretty impressed tbh, solid chassis and the metal drive train looks decent. Only issue is a lack of charging bag but will pick one up tomorrow.

FTX crawler probably coming soon 😂

Viewing 40 posts - 2,281 through 2,320 (of 2,565 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.