Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Christmas self indulgence list
  • Denis99
    Free Member

What’s on your food and drink self indulgence list?

For me it’s mainly a liquid choice, with very few exceptions.

Port, nice glass shared with the family on Christmas Eve , with some nice Stilton cheese.

Whiskey, any single malt , easily pleased.

Sailor Jerry Rum

Nice peppery crackers

Turkey

Chilled white wine with traditional Christmas dinner

Boxing Day ride

mikey74
    Free Member

Chocolate, cheese, turkey (yes, I actually like it). Drink on the day? Probably a couple of ciders, followed by champers with lunch, followed by wine, with some late night GnTs as a light option.

Mum’s desserts, too: Cheesecake, xmas pud, trifle (yes, I like that too, without the custard obvs).

yunki
    Free Member

been reliably informed that MIL has procured me a bottle of rum… which is nice for me but unfortunately for everyone else means that I will be acting like a traditional cutlass wielding swarthy pirate for much of the day

I’ll quite likely end up in the brig before the queen’s speech has finished

mikey74
    Free Member

Yunk on Xmas day :mrgreen:

Denis99
    Free Member

Pigs in blankets, is there anything nicer to nibble on?

Must find some space for a nice Wadworths 6X.

mikey74
    Free Member

Especially nice in the evening with some cold turkey, ham, salady bits, branston, cheese etc.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Mini Stollen.

RustySpanner

Quite fancy a Snowball.

Oooh, and vodka, Baileys and milk.
    In a pint glass, with ice.

garage-dweller

Mince pies
    Lebkuchen
    Christmas pudding and brandy butter

Beyond that it’s just snacky stuff and a decent roast dinner.

Maybe a river cottage recipe chocolate cake.

binners

Just everything really

I got into practice on Sunday by sitting and troffing one of those massive bags of dry roasted peanuts whilst drinking beer and watching football. Call it a dress rehearsal.

There are dairies and vineyards throughout the world who put on an extra shift to accommodate mine and my dads anticipated Christmas fodder requirements, while we sit there loftily pontificating.

And another ****ing thing….

clipper247
    Free Member

Honey mustard roasted parsnips.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Chocolate and Cointreau Christmas pudding with a Chocolate Grand Marnier Sauce…..because…**** it…booze…..BOOOOOZE AND CHOCOLATE IN EVERYTHINGGGG!

Bregante

We’ve got some very nice locally produced cheese this year. It’s been an exercise in self-restraint not to eat it already. We also have some loch fyne smoked salmon winging its way to us (get a shed load as a gift every year from a relative)

Drink wise, no doubt my missus will be hitting the G&T’ while I’ll be indulging myself in some fine antibiotics and tap water… 😐

AndyRT
    Free Member

Starter will be Bristol Cream and Ginger wine, possibly some home made 2year old Sloe Gin.

Lunch will be late, with Nyetimber Demi sec followed by Red Wine and Deserrt wines; royal tokai.

I might squeeze in a coffee

Dinner will be help yourself, with more red wine, Bath tub Gin and fever tree tonic, Sipsmiths Lemon Drizzle Gin & Lemon tonic.

Late evening repose; Sainsbury’s vintage calvados.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Rum, cigars, cheese, homebrew Christmas beer, loads of things in filo pastry, lobster,

senorj

Chocolate , cheese’n’crackers,a few nice beers & Canadian Club , on tap. 🙂

btw iz disapoint that 12 posts in and no sign of coke & hookers!

jekkyl

Leffe
    Stella Artois
    Zinfandel
    Aberlour
    Cake
    Meats
    crisps
    nuts (many kinds)
    ice cream
    cream
    Cheeses
    Cinema
    bicycling
    family
    Television
    gaming

martinhutch

Good smoked salmon – anyone got any recommendations?
    Peppery scrambled eggs
    A quality steak
    afternoon sleep

Rubber_Buccaneer

Rusty Spanner – Member
    Quite fancy a Snowball.

Oooh, and vodka, Baileys Kahlua/TiaMaria and milk.
    In a pint glass, with ice.

but tonight is my third Christmas ‘do’ this week and I’ve eaten enough, I may ask for a salad

fasthaggis

Built up new bike,with no disturbances other than the minions bringing more beer and snacks out to the shed.

IHN

Given that we’ll have my folks, her folks, two of my sisters, one of their partners, my niece and her yappy little dograt on Christmas Day, then that’ll be topped up by my other sister, her husband and my two nephews on Boxing Day, my self indulgence will be to walk our dog, on my own, for quite a while.

maccruiskeen

A duck.

chakaping
    Free Member

Probably a bit of cheese to go with the nice wines I’ve already got in.

Some kind of fancy pud, possibly accompanied by a dessert wine.

Chocolates consumed on a half-hourly basis throughout day.

cinnamon_girl

My worry is buying sufficient food to feed The Boy who, in true obsessed roadie stylee, will be cycling from London to mine in Hampshire on Xmas Eve.

Will the turkey crown fill his stomach, will there be enough veg, will there be sufficient for round 2 a few hours later?

Last time he rode to me saw him demolishing a whole leg of lamb. 😯 It was a cold day with a Northerly wind so he earned it. 🙂

monde
    Free Member

Game pie on boxing day with ham’s and christmas leftovers. Nothing better.

johndoh
    Free Member

Turkey sandwiches in simple white bread with a little stuffing and a light sprinkle of salt. Just the thought of them takes me back to childhood – I will eat at least one no matter how stuffed I am from Christmas dinner.

Most other foodie indulgences I take take or leave but if they are available I do like:
    Wensleydale cheese (with my homemade Christmas cake)
    Pork pie
    Pickled onions
    Tiramisu

Drinkies I shall be indulging with:
    Champagne
    A couple of beers
    Red wine
    Port
    Then, later in the evening, I shall have a few Espresso martinis and/or white Russians

SaxonRider

Feel free to make fun of me for this one, but there is a ‘salad’ my grandmother used to make that I’m sure came out of one of those 1970s free magazines for ‘housewives’.

Anyway, as gross as it sounds, it consisted of marshmallows mixed with sour cream, canned mandarin orange pieces, pineapple bits, and maraschino cherries added to the top. Simply called ‘marshmallow salad’, it was delicious!

Mrs SR thinks I’m insane, but I make sure it’s part of every Christmas dinner.

takisawa2

Gaviscon.

Might break out the Rennie when the kids are in bed.

scud
    Free Member

Get up really early to get in 50 miles for Rapha 500, which basically has given me an excuse to ride my bike and enjoy some piece and quiet before the mayhem starts.

Then it’s straight in to cooking xmas lunch for 12 people and trying to keep my sanity whilst having a few IPA beers and listening to Craig Charles funk and soul show downloaded from iplayer whilst having a bit of a xmas wiggle in the kitchen.

Dinner out of the way, then crack open bottle of tawny port that somehow i have managed to not open so far

Denis99
    Free Member

Senor j

Thanks for reminding me about Canadian Club.

Must get a bottle for Christmas.

slowoldman

Well there has to champagne with smoked salmon and scrambled egg for brekkie, a nice Manzanilla with nibbles, wine is very much dependant on dinner, but likely to be red not white this year. Brazin Zinfandel already in stock. There has to a good desert wine with pud, Brown Brothers Orange Muscat and Flora. A nice spot of Asbach Uralt to follow.

chakaping
    Free Member

a nice Manzanilla with nibbles

YKTS.

Careful though, it’s quite more-ish.

frankconway

@IHN: you don’t seem thrilled……

@SaxonRider
    : from the days when fruit came in tins…..enjoy!

frankconway

@IHN: you don’t seem thrilled……

@SaxonRider
    : from the days when fruit came in tins…..enjoy!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Christmas self indulgence list’ is closed to new replies.