Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Self catering family holiday, Cairngorms/Aviemore, August 2017 – where?
  • MoreCashThanDash

So the plans have changed again…..

Decided to stay in the UK and explore somewhere we have never been before, and fancy the Cairngorms/Aviemore area, with a view to some walking, cycling and generally being outdoors.

Looking for a cottage or cabin to sleep 2 adults and 2 kids, preferably with secure storage for bikes. MrsMC has expressed a hankering for a sex pond hot tub as well, but that is not an absolute requirement.

Any ideas or experiences of places to stay, places to visit, and places to avoid would be greatly appreciated.

nbt

Sorry to say that in August, I’d generally avoid Cairngorms / Aviemore as the place will be minging with midgies. Lovely place to visit when the midgies aren’t there – say late September

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Give highland property services a go in Aviemore, Wendy and James are friends. Bit of trivia, Wendy grew up in the house opposite to Brant Richards.

nant
    Free Member

My partner and I stayed in a nice S/C cottage in Newtonmore. Squirrel View it was called. Newtonmore itself is a bit of a ghosttown. But there was some great mountain walking on the doorstep and Aviemore was only 10/15 minutes drive away.

Aviemore is a bit dumpy, lots of outdoor shops mind!

Laggan MTB trails just down the road as well. Also quite nice to hire kayaks and go down the river Spey. Good walking around the Rothiemurcas estate as well.

MoreCashThanDash

The midgie issue had crossed my mind. I am utterly irresistible to anything the flies and has teeth….

fifeandy
    Free Member

Sorry to say that in August, I’d generally avoid Cairngorms / Aviemore as the place will be minging with midgies. Lovely place to visit when the midgies aren’t there – say late September

Yes and no.
    I was there in August this year and had a mixed midge experience.
    Parked opposite Rothiemurchus visitor centre, did some hill repeats on Cairngorm, and then a ride down to Kingussie in the afternoon.

The first ride was frankly disgusting, any hint of a tailwind on the climb and it was riding through a cloud of midges.
    The second ride, and around the visitor centre both at lunch and getting changed after were largely midge free.
    I guess overall though, i’d agree that its a nicer place to visit before or after midge season.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

If Midges bother you then head east towards Angus or Fife – if you want to go North then try Nairn/Findhorn these area’s are generally Midge free due to the dryness (relative) and the wind. Angus and the Moray coast are the two driest areas of Scotland.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Pretty much all of the places in Scotland that fit your requirements for walking/cycling etc, assuming you want some decent size hills, can be affected by midgies. They will be around from April/May and well into September so unavoidable for the summer

Thing is you only need a breeze over 4km/h to stop them flying, so the majority of days will normally be fine. On the still days you just need to walk fast or be on the bike

scotroutes

Like CM above, I live in the area and midgies don’t stop me riding/walking/paddling.

Tons of choice in the area. Most things happen in and around Aviemore, which definitely has the best selection of riding “from the door”. Kingussie and Newtonmore are a lot quieter and you’d likely end up doing more driving back and forth.

Boat of Garten/Nethy Bridge are quaint but there’s not much going on. Boat is, however, just 30mins by bike from Aviemore along the Speyside Way.

The area has lots of small cottages and other self catering units spread around so it’s mostly just a question of googling until you find something you like. If you do so and want any more background to help you select something then by all means PM me.

Things to do:
    Highland Wildlife Park
    Highland Folk Museum
    Landmark Centre
    High wire course
    Alvie Zipwire Park
    Pony Trekking (3 centres locally)
    Funicular Railway
    Feed the Reindeer
    Steam Railway (the one Danny MacMadskill used)
    Danny (is often in the area)
    Big leisure pool at MacDonalds
    Funhouse at Coylumbridge
    Outdoor Karting
    Osprey Centre at Loch Garten
    Water sports at Loch Insh and Loch Morlich
    Rafting/Canoeing/Kayaking on the Spey
    Gorge walking/Canyoning
    Extensive trail network for cycling and walking
    Some easy local hills and some Munros
    That’s all within 15mins from Aviemore

You’re a short drive from the Moray Coast for some really excellent beaches/food and more walks/cycles and watching seals on the beaches.
    40 minutes gets you to Inverness
    Culloden Battlefield Centre is superb
    Dolphins at Chanonry Point

And we’re not even got near to the short drive over to the West Coast…..

There are a few local groups going out midweek evenings. Mikes Bikes/Bothy Bikes both organise Tue/Wed evening rides or you can join CaptainMainwaring, myself and the other AIR Heads. I’m also usually up to doing a little local guiding – appropriate to your requirements. That my services can be bought for the cost of a Dalwhinnie 25-year old are just a malicious rumour.

mikejd

We have weekend every year, first in May, at Loch Insh Water Sports. Lots of self-catering chalets, some with hot tub, free use of water sports equipment for a couple of hours morning and evening, bar & restaurant. Plenty of scope for cycling and walking in Inshreach & Rothiemurchus forests. About 5 miles S of Aviemore. Have a website.

geoffj
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Self catering family holiday, Cairngorms/Aviemore, August 2017 – where?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM