• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Taz.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • chris king bb
  • thewalker
    Free Member

hi stw,are chris king bottom brackets worth the extra cost over a hope bb do u think

Daffy

Yes. I’ve had three hope BBs fail, and have 4 Kings with MUCH higher mileage that’re still as smooth as they were on day one.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Got both and the only ones that go grindy are Hopes. King just needs a grease twice a year.

thewalker
    Free Member

ok thanks,have i got to buy a special ck bb tool

jameso

Depends, I think they’re fair value for higher-mileage use. I serviced mine w/o the tool. Took a while to clean the old grease out properly and regrease but was easy enough. Did >3000 mainly dry miles before it got a clean and wasn’t really in dire need, just wanted to see what was going on. Smooth as new now.

tomhoward

ok thanks,have i got to buy a special ck bb tool

Nope

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I don’t use the tool, just an airline to blow the old grease out and I just push some fresh grease in with my finger and reseal back up. 10 min job.

craig5

Got a hope BB, the plastic seals are a bit pants. But the bearings are still sound, they just need some TLC to keep running sweet. I have re packed the bearings once in 2 years, when they do die, a few quid for new bearings. No probs. But if you want the best, king stuff is prob hard to beat. Shimano BB only lasted 3 months. I doubt king stuff is worth it thought. Im on 3 years with a cheap FSA headset, still fine. When it dose go all that’s required are new cartridge bearings. Nothing is fit and forget

talulah
    Free Member

I have a Chris King bb for sale, bought it to use on my Moda now sold. It needed regreasing so never got round to it before selling my bike. It came from a race team only used for one season so may be of use to someone. Haven’t got round to putting it up for sale yet.

thewalker
    Free Member

thanks all i give 2nd hand a miss talulah, thanks anyway

ahwiles
    Free Member

i keep banging on about this, but the gusset ext24 is a great piece of kit.

the cartridge bearings are a standard size, their quality is up to you, but mine’s coming up on 5000km on the original bearings, it still spins beautifully.

they’re very well sealed/baffled. even better than the hope, which seems the default suggestion.

they’re £25.

edd

On Chain Reaction Cycles:
    Shimano XT £16.99
    Hope MTB Stainless £71.99
    Chris King MTB £137.49

I know where my money would go.

ce9adp
    Free Member

On Chain Reaction Cycles:
    Shimano XT £16.99
    Hope MTB Stainless £71.99
    Chris King MTB £137.49

I know where my money would go.

Chris King! 8)

peteimpreza

Chris King from Aspire Velotech

thewalker
    Free Member

peteimpreza, do u hav to be in the trade to orded from them.eg run a bike shop

takisawa2

Bought mine S/H off here for £35 some years ago.
    Swinnertons charged me £6 to purge & refill with the proper tool. Has spun flawlessly in all weathers since.
    Have swapped several XT’s on other bikes since.

I wouldn’t buy another King headset though. Cane Creek S4 works well enough. Never really got on with the King ones I’ve had.

theflatboy
    Free Member

thewalker, no they’re a consumer store – they’ll sell to anyone anywhere in the world. Very good service and price when I’ve used them.

P20

I’ve been happy with my King bb’s. Quick regrease now and then and keeps on going. A mate fitted one to his cross and loves it.

thewalker
    Free Member

thanks all

Taz

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works guys

2 Chris King BB’s, both well looked after, both disappointingly bad

Headsets & Hubs – Best in class

BB – Shimano every time

Mine were bought right at the initial launch so maybe newer models are better. Will not be buying another though

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘chris king bb’ is closed to new replies.