Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Chinese chopping knife recommendations.
  • lotto
    Free Member

For veg. Not the heavy cleaver type for bones etc. Fancy one for the kitchen as doing a lot of veg chopping. Think it would be handy to use it like a shovel to get all the veg in the pot and chopping up squash, swede etc.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Go to your local Chinese supermarket.

I don’t find them that great for squash though as the bind and require banging to finish.

chewkw
    Free Member

Chinese Vegetable Cleavers: How to Choose and Use These Agile Chef’s Knives

From the link above I would recommend

1. Zwilling Henckels Twin Signature (good weight and size at 7 inches and Not too tall (wide)) – I bought three of mine from TK Maxx at very good price.

2. Dexter-Russell – good traditional design with carbon steel but might be a bit large (8 inches). Think this is the cheapest of the lot. If you can find one go for it.

3. Zhen – Good size and material VG-10. Probably expensive.

4. Wusthof – Good blade but the handle is a bit squre-ish and expensive.

5. Shun Classic – Good blade but too tall (wide) and probably the most expensive of all..

Out of the five above I would go for 1 or 2. The rest are fine so long as you are willing to pay more and can get use to wider blade.

If you really want a traditional Chinese slicing or chopping cleaver then go to any of the Chinese Supermarket to get No 1 (very thin slicing cleaver) or No 2 (medium thickness can probably chop soft bones) and heavy No 3 (chopping cleaver. The brand you want is CCK (made in HK, stainless or carbon steel up to you) but some Chinese brand is also find so long as they are carbon steel.

Always, have a feel of the cleaver before buying.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Chinese chopping knife recommendations.’ is closed to new replies.