Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Chilterns mud – is there an antidote? (tyres, sorry)
  • majk

Out last night, could have picked a better night for it – had been raining for the last 8 hours or so.

Soon as I went off road the mud attacked – made it down the first descent, but once I needed to pedal everything went to pot, no traction at the rear, both wheels clogged up with mud and that was that.

I'm on a Soul and currently running Panaracer Cinders, 2.25 front and 2.1 back – this on the advice of the guy at Evans Cycles. I went there wanting to buy Bonty Mud-Xs but was told these were too draggy and the Cinders would be fine in the mud – fail!

So, I'm now thinking of getting the Mud-Xs after all, or maybe a Mud-X upfront and Trailraker back. Now my question: can I reasonably expect either of these combinations to actually be able to deal with Chilterns mud? Or do I have to wait until summer before leaving the roads……

wwaswas

Bonty Mud-Xs but was told these were too draggy

not in my experience – and they are pretty good in claggy mud too…

oldgit
    Free Member

No Trailrakers are draggy, Mud X are quick….er.

Real Chilterns men keep their Racing Ralphs on all year 8)

singletracksurfer

yeah I'd go Mud-X.
    (saying that I took the Conti Speed Kings out the other day and was fine).

where abouts in the Chilterns are you riding?
    I know lots of stuff that isn't too bad.

poppa
    Free Member

I rode with Trailrakers the other night for the first time. I felt under the weather and slow for all of the ride, probably not helped by the tyres. Then, there was a really boggy section with an uphill, where everyone else had to unclip, wheelspin, get off etc. but I managed to continue and beat everyone to the top of the section.

My experience of Trailrakers…

98% of the time: A right PITA
    2% of the time (in the claggiest, most horrible mud imaginable): A godsend.

Personally I wouldn't mind trying the Bontys, could be a more useful tyre.

nickc

I use trailrakers, only as they never seem to wear out, bit " interesting" in the corners but mostly ok. Mate uses bonty mud x loves them not massively draggy, certainly no worse than cinders. I've avoided the chilts for a couple of weeks tbh it's shit at the minute. Last ride I did was like a 4 hour threshold

buffalobill
    Free Member

Nobby Nics all round for me seem to do the job. Used to put a trailraker on the back but haven't bothered this winter and seem to be coping.
    To be fair though, we've had a couple of deluges this week and its pretty grim even by normal Chilterns standards…

james-o
    Free Member

Maxxis Medusa 1.8"s are working well for me around there at this time of year, others i ride with there like Trailrakers.

thin, spiky tyres are what you need, a bit drifty but very predictable with great climbing traction

tinsy
    Free Member

Chilterns is weird I go there to ride with my pal occasinally, the bridelways can be a clag fest, any proper mud tyres is the best you can do. The summit circuit at lotts wood holds the water quite well though and doesnt clag up, try there.

oldgit
    Free Member

I was going to say that this week seems to have been the worst conditions all winter.
    Been pushing my luck with RRs on all year though, Wednesday night probably took them to their limit. Not taking them off though.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I find MudX's draggy on the parts of my trails where it is just a sort of soft grassy type terrain, bit like cycling on a sponge, but they work excellent in the muddy parts and clear well, I find other tyres tend to be quicker but clog up and end up dumping more mud into the frame areas that bring you to a stop … I'd choose the MudX's

giantjason
    Free Member

another vote for Maxxis Medusa tyres. Got a 2.1 front and 1.8 rear and seem to work fine.

majk

where abouts in the Chilterns are you riding?

Don't have much local knowledge so I've been mostly on a pretty limited set of bridleways. I was doing one of my summer routes – starting at work in Chesham and dropping off the ridge down to Tring on the bridleway by The Crong down to Dancersend. The worst mud was coming up an unclassified track up to Dancersend.

oldgit
    Free Member

Woohoo the Crong, that's a great little road climb.

majk

Woohoo the Crong, that's a great little road climb.

Yep, normally drop off on the bridleway, come back up the road, then go along to one of the byways dropping into Tring, then back up. Get a good bit of descent and climb with reasonably easy access.

Would like to find some more varied stuff mind you…

br
    Free Member

TR's last year.

Mud X's this year, run tubeless at 25-30psi – good compromise.

Buckingham Bikes had some last week when I was in.

singletracksurfer

ah, I'm below the M40.

The CX bike has also been a godsend during the claggiest of times.

oldgit
    Free Member

Ivinghoe Beacon-Tring-Wendover I find the best from my door.
    You could add Ashridge to your ride by riding into Aldbury from Tring. Then straight up onto Ashridge, or turn the other way and do a massive XC loop and end up going around the back of the Beacon.

nickc

I wouldn't go near that side of the Chilts this time of year, I stick to the Watlington/Nettlebed side of things where it's "slightly" more gravelly, and drain "a bit" better.

Still, wetter than an otter's pocket at the minute.

Rio

The worst mud was coming up an unclassified track up to Dancersend.

Those tracks are pretty unrideable except in really dry conditions or when they're frozen. The horses chew them up and the mud's particularly sticky and has defeated any tyres I've tried. I used the one I think you're referring to a couple of weeks ago and ended up having to carry the bike. Best to avoid them and use the road if you want to get to Dancersend, or you can always go through Tring park if you want to get to Tring – a bit cheeky and not very challenging but it avoids the mud-fest that is the Chiltern byways.

Otherwise Nobby Nics seem to work as well as anything else I've tried.

grunty
    Free Member

I have used Maxxis Swampthings in the chilterns which are pretty good in the mud, but they ar eVERY draggy on the tarmac.

oldgit
    Free Member

Is that the special blend of Chalk, Clay and Flint you find in them there parts?

ononeorange

Majk I'm Chesham way and was out on Wednesday night – it was a ridiculous clagfest, especially up around the woods near Latimer – just could not ride downhill despite standing on the pedals.

I usually run a Trailraker at the back – it is heavy, mind. I have a Mud-X waiting to be put on (now would seem to be the time to do it!), so can't compare just yet, but did get my s/s running again this week on which I'm trying out an ACX, but that seemed to get overwhelmed as well.

I personally don't get on with Schwalbe at the back, I'm fairly heavy and the flints just rip them up; tried SpeedKings but punctures were stupid and they seem to fold underneath the bike on corners in the wet.

Riding tomorrow morning, I'd just like to find somewhere that isn't the consistency of porridge.

majk

Yeah, with current conditions maybe the mud is going to defeat any tyre… still, maybe there is something that isn't going to clog up too much and require me to carry bike and 2 huge mud doughnuts!

Incidentally, I'd happily hook up with people who are out riding weekday evenings, particularly wed / thu evenings. Work and other stuff makes it a bit unpredictable when I can get out though.

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

Nickc

I wonder if you could help. I rode the last Evans Cycles bike ride starting at the school in Watlington and whilst riding around noticed a number of arrows and numbers on trees and was wondering if you could shed some light on them. Do they correspond to a trail system and if so where can i get a map? Is there a forum that covers that are to get some more info as we are also looking at buying a house in the watlington area.

Thanks

ononeorange

Warrenpfo – if those were white painted arrows and numbers, Oxfordshire county seems to favour that method of waymarking footpaths and bridleways rather than metal discs (and very helpful it is too in woods). If they are what you mean, they're not a trail system other than the standard ROWs.

majk – a few of us off here have just started night-riding midweek; most are based around Watford / Bushey and we tend to ride around Chenies / Saratt area, so may be a bit out of your area. Let me know though if you may be interested.

majk

ononeorange – Not so far out of my way, I'd have a car with me anyway since I live in W London, just work in Chesham. Let me know next time you're going out and I'll see if I can make it.

nickc

They're rights of way markers rather than any recognised linked trail. TBH the area's full to bursting with trails, BWs, and cheeky footpaths, and even stuff that's not really recognised as anything, go and explore is the best advice I can give really

ononeorange

Probably mid-next week, although some are away at present. Can I have an email address please?

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

What is the best forum to join to find some local riders to Watlington?

nickc

Summit (club with forum) do some organised rides and will be chock full of local riders willing to show you about, Mountain High (shop) in Pangbourne also do some organised rides . There are even some rides organised on here occasionally.

majk

ononeorange: mjglewis AT yahoo DOT com

I'm away next week, but should be up for the week after.

cinnamon_girl

Yes, am hoping to organise another Chilterns Forum Ride this Spring but am obviously reliant on STW'ers offering to help with leading and sweeping groups.

Have one volunteer so far and if anyone else wants to offer their services, e-mail in profile. Thank you so much 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Any of you lot do the Summit Series?

tinsy
    Free Member

yup.. 1 or 2, but its going to hard getting the odd random late entry this year..

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Chilterns mud – is there an antidote? (tyres, sorry)’ is closed to new replies.