Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Children on ebikes
  • ajantom

Ignoring the whys and wherefores of ebikes in general, I’ve been seeing a surprisingly large number of kids (estimated age range 10-16) on e-mtbs, generally nice full-sus ones too.

A couple on there own in the woods last weekend (boys of probably 15-16), and today on Woodbury common a dad with two kids on ebikes (he was on one too) aged probably 10-12.

I know people can spend their money on whatever they want – though dropping £2-3k+ on a bike for a kid seems a bit ott – but really, can they just not learn to cycle on normal bikes like we all did?

I suppose we live in a consumerist society, and consumers gotta consume!

intheborders
    Free Member

When’s your post complaining about folk driving to the gym?

tomhoward

I know people can spend their money on whatever they want

This. Though there is a minimum age limit of 14 for rider.

mashr

but really, can they just not learn to cycle on normal bikes like we all did?

same with skiing, can’t they just walk up the mountain instead of using lifts?!

ajantom

same with skiing, can’t they just walk up the mountain instead of using lifts?!

No it’s not 😉 ski lifts were around 35 years ago when I learnt to ski.

Though there is a minimum age limit of 14 for rider.

Really? I didn’t know that.

*Edit
    Just looked it up…

Illegal for an under 14 to ride an ebike on a road (and anyone to ride one on a pavement).

Allowed at any age to ride on bridleways, but not legal on Forestry Commission land, so most trail centres then. Interesting!

colp

This thread will be nothing without some input from ChevyChase

kayak23

I believe the children are the future,
    teach them well and let them eeb the way…

desperatebicycle

Better ebikes than those stupid electric toy cars everyone seemed to buy their kids a few years back. Sitting in the street going zhzhzhzhzhzhzhzhhhhhzzzhh at 2mph. What a waste of money!

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I have an ebike. My kids don’t. I never ride the ebike with the kids, as they are so slow on the climbs. I do tow them, but never with the ebike as this would knacker it. Instead I get knackered. It’s a form of ebike offsetting. In fact, when I finish towing, my normal bike feels like an ebike!

If my kids had an ebike it would be a game changer. Cost is the issue.

zerocool

Maybe the dad had an ebike and his kids couldn’t keep up on their non-electric bikes so he took pity on them?

Or maybe they get to ride their normal bikes 6 days a week but on Sundays when Woodbury is both frozen and wet (like today) and sunny dad allows them to ride e-bikes.

It was lovely up on Woodbury today though.

cookeaa

Meh, there was a thing on the news the other day about kids suffering with significant long COVID effects.

So I’m just going to assume there’s an underlying health condition for any kid who needs an e-bike and not question people over something that’s not really my business…

I suppose we live in a consumerist society, and consumers gotta consume!

Still not a fan of the eebs either, but they very definitely exist now so it’s not like the world can just uninvent the things. I can at least control my own choices which is as much control as anyone can hope for…

sirromj

For me E-bikes have become a symbol of wealth that is beyond my means. The rivers separating us are flooding. The financial universe is an economical version of the ever expanding universe. Jeff Bezos is near the edge of the observable universe. Bye bye Jeff.

singlespeedstu

What gets me is those lazy kids riding youth mx and trials.
    They don’t even have pedals on their bikes.
    And don’t get me started on kids that race karts and cars.
    They can’t even be bothered to learn how to balance.

ajantom

@singlespeedstu I see what you did there 😉

I’m not anti ebikes per se, but I do think a normal, healthy kid on one is a bit daft. I want my kids properly tired out if you please.

It was lovely up on Woodbury today though

It bloody was, wasn’t it!

DrP

OP…I accept you may not understand everything you see… That’s cool….

I’ve an E bike for my OH which my son (12) uses… It means he gets a good ride with me and my mates, and brings us smiles all round….
    It’s new tech that bridges the gulf between different fitness riders.
    Yeah, it’s expensive. But it’s appreciated.

Hope that helps

DrP

twistedpencil

Spotted a few at Farmer John’s and it makes so much sense to get the laps in and also have suspension that works due to the weight of the bike. Noticed my son getting green eyes so resorted to ebike bashing to throw him off the idea, my pockets aren’t that deep 😀

BigJohn

Bike rides are best when everyone can keep the same speed and duration.
    Like night rides are best when everyone has the same lumens.

ajantom

OP…I accept you may not understand everything you see…

I understand, doesn’t mean I approve 😁
    My original post was somewhat tongue in cheek btw, but also a semi-serious point…
    If all the kids end up riding ebikes, where does the next Cav or Tom Pidcock come from?

belugabob
    Free Member

Better ebikes than those stupid electric toy cars everyone seemed to buy their kids a few years back. Sitting in the street going zhzhzhzhzhzhzhzhhhhhzzzhh at 2mph. What a waste of money!

Like the mini range rover version that I saw recently – made me start praying that they weren’t starting a bad habit

argee

To be fair, around town and the daughters school i only see kids on carrera’s and the likes, never seen any on an ebike, at that age they want escooters if they want anything.

Only time i see youngsters on ebikes is places like BPW, FoD, etc, which you’d expect, kids can do laps without the boring 30 minute up for 3 minutes down.

poah
    Free Member

who actually gives a **** here. Gets the kids out and lets them cycle longer than they could without assistance. I’d buy my kids one if I could afford it. Would be able to spend more time outside enjoying the riding

bikesandboots

Damn those kids getting all the nice that didn’t exist or I couldn’t have when I was a kid…

Seriously though, having a bad experience of sport through whatever reason (crap kit, worse bike than all your mates) can put people off. I hated both hiking and biking, but I liked the idea of them, and it got a lot better when I could buy good enough kit with my own money.

mashr

I’m not anti ebikes per se, but I do think a normal, healthy kid on one is a bit daft. I want my kids properly tired out if you please.

Knackered after going far further and higher than they would otherwise, sounds good to me

BearBack
    Free Member

If there’s a net benefit and those kids are now motivated to recreate then I don’t see the problem.
    Trouble is it’s potentially a one way street. Plenty of kids out our way who won’t pedal a regular bike after riding an ebike, but similarly, plenty of kids who won’t ride at all unless using whistlers chairlifts.

supernova

If all the kids end up riding ebikes, where does the next Cav or Tom Pidcock come from?

From the kids that see cycling as a sport as opposed to some kind of techno recreation outdoors.

Which is a perfectly valid use of their youth, but it’s not sport.

singlespeedstu

Which is a perfectly valid use of their youth, but it’s not sport.

That’s a very strange view.
    Why is it not a “sport”?

chiefgrooveguru

“ I’m not anti ebikes per se, but I do think a normal, healthy kid on one is a bit daft. I want my kids properly tired out if you please.”

My kids are run everywhere, cartwheel, climb, active sorts of kids but pedalling bikes uphill is really tough when you’re that size and weight. They don’t have ebikes but I’m thinking I’m going to use mine as a tow-truck for the big hills next time we’re out riding. And as someone who either rides a singlespeed hardtail or an electric geared full-sus, I know you can definitely get properly tired out on an ebike!

I don’t want to have kids on e-bike anywhere near me on the trails.

Mostly because the little bastards are already quicker than me on an analogue bike! 😂

tjagain

Why is it not a “sport”?

Unless your racing there is no scoring or winner – so its a pastime not a sport

singlespeedstu

No EWS E/ebike classes at loads of enduros then TJ?

daveylad
    Free Member

I would have phoned ester ransoms childline if ebikes were a thing when I was a kid and my parents wouldn’t buy me one.
    Regardless it’s a hobby. It’s a sport when you get paid for it.

tjagain

SSS – thats why I said ” unless you are racing”

Middle class dad’s in ‘able to buy kids the latest trend’ shocker.

When I was a kid and wanted to ring someone I walked up to the phone box, just saying 😉

At least they’re not sat in front of an X-Box all day

reeksy

My kids agree with you.
    They’ve never even been towed and at 9 and 11 tackle hills I wouldn’t have stood a chance of getting up at their age. They take the piss out of old men (my age) on eebs, because their Dad is too tight to buy them one.

They are definitely not downhill heroes though so I guess it’s horses for courses.

moonsaballoon

I can see why you would depending on where you live and how often you ride . My 9 year old is fairly quick downhill on his 26 inch hardtail but he just doesn’t get uphill’s . We have a towee but he’s getting heavier and I am on a normal bike . His last ride out was at Rotorua and we did 3 uplifts in a van , is that any better than an e-bike ?

The flip side to that is i don’t necessarily think its good parenting to say ” this thing is hard lets spend loads of money on it to make it easier as opposed to working hard to make it easier for ourselves ” but then if you don’t make biking fun then whats the point , they could learn that lesson elsewhere .

If i had the money i reckon my family would all have them .

colp

I don’t know about that roady/XC stuff but I bet there’ll be more DH front runners

thols2

You know that people can spend their money on whatever they like and it makes no difference to how much you enjoy what you’re doing, right?

kerley
    Free Member

It’s new tech that bridges the gulf between different fitness riders.

Good point. If a family wants to go out riding then it is never going to work well unless everyone wants to bimble around. If every one has an e-bike they can all go out and enjoy at a good speed.
    Same for a group ride of mixed fitness.

And as a kid I am sure I would have loved one if you could have torn my BMX out of my hands.

kerley
    Free Member

Firstly not ‘all the kids’ will end up riding bikes as the committed cycling kids will still be committed cycling kids.
    Secondly, Pidcock has been using bikes since 2020 but that may explain why he has got hammered by van Aert and van Der Pol over the last month or so, just a theory 🙂

jameso

Power to ’em I say. At that age it’s just about whatever’s the most fun. E-MTB or mini-Wiggo road bke with lycra kit? I’d be more ‘worried’ about the number of kids being brought up on drop bars in recent years and missing the fun of BMX and MTB.

Instead of thinking it’s ‘making it easier’ just think of it as being different and more fun for some of them. Less likely they get fed up with the hills and go back indoors to computer games.

Some will go from e-bikes to regular bikes like some of us go from FS and gears back to hardtails or rigid SS. The important thing is the love of being on 2 wheels.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.