Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Child Friendly Trail Suggestions – 2 hours from Coventry
  • johncoventry

Can anyone suggest child friendly trails similar to Hicks Lodge within 2 hours of Coventry? Not too hilly, not too rough or technical but a bit more interesting than old railway lines.
    I have two sons 5 and 8 who love Hicks Lodge but we are wanting to do something else. We did the Monsal trail yesterday and today and they were saying they were getting bored.

Does Cannock, Forest of Dean or Sherwood Pines have anything between smooth gravel tracks and the more hard core stuff?

Thanks.

ads678

Sherwood has green, blues and a red. Red links with sections of the blue and green so could try a couple of sections of that. Red is pretty easy if you’re just cruising, kids would be fine on most of it.

MoreCashThanDash

The blue at Hicks Lodge is great fun for kids/newbies. Lots of berms and bumps, nothing more than that.

mboy
    Free Member

Head to the Wyre Forest, park up, follow your nose… There’s tonnes in there that’s a bit more challenging than what they’ve ridden already, but not too extreme. The more extreme stuff, you’ve got to know where it is anyway, so you shouldn’t worry too much about finding yourself on it without warning, at least not that close to the main visitor centre car park anyway.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

My kids, 6 & 9, loved the Sherwood Pines red.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

My daughter rode Sherwood red on her one geared islabike cnoc at 5 years old. It’s great for the kids and good for next step up from Hicks.

There’s a new trail centre being built at snibston near coalville. Looking good although a little shorter than Hicks. Think it’s opening in the next few months.

johncoventry

Thanks for the suggestions. It sounds like Sherwood Pines is the next place to try.
    I will also have a look at Wyre Forest.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Try Comer Wood (National Trust, Dudmaston Estate, Bridgnorth).
    There are two marked cycle trails, one wide and surfaced, the other fun singletrack (it hosts XC racing occasionally). Only short, but entertaining and you can do laps. There’s a coffee/snack wagon there at weekends. Plus Bridgnorth is only five minutes up the road for post-ride foodage.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with the Wyre with a 5-year old. It’ll be a PITA trying to find anything more interesting than the marked family route (all surfaced). There is plenty to go at if you know where it is, but not (in my opinion) suitable for a kid that young (I’m a Wyre regular and parent of a 5-YO)

joebristol

Forest of Dean is ok, but the blue has a reasonable size main climb on it and a reasonable amount of up and down. The blue is also quite a big lap – I think it’s probably not ideal for a 5 year old. It sounds like Sherwood Pines might be a better option. Ashton Court and Leigh Woods in Bristol would be good for a 5 year old with not too much climbing and plenty of rollers and berms but relatively flat. I don’t think I’d drive circa 2 hours for it though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Child Friendly Trail Suggestions – 2 hours from Coventry’ is closed to new replies.