• This topic has 32 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Cheap Muc-Off alternatives?
  • Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I seem to have run out of my various bike cleaning products and I’m wondering what STW uses.

Muc-Off/ Sh1t Shifter etc seem to do the job but they’re pretty expensive. I’ve used diluted traffic film remover in the past but I’ve no idea where the bottle of it came from.

What do you reckon?

RealMan
    Free Member

fenwicks

LoCo
    Free Member

Rhino goo, best cleaner on the market

IHN

A brush to, er, brush the mud off. Water and elbow grease if it’s particularly bad.

Rock’n’roll lube to clean and lube the chain.

disco_stu
    Free Member

Poundland bike cleaner does an alright job for me

RobHilton
    Free Member

Fenwicks by the barrel for cheap, fairy liquid for cheaperer still.

How much does that cost?

stumpy01

Fenwicks fs-1 I think can be diluted down 10-1, I think. Costs about a tenner but that’ll get you 10 litres of cleaner that should last a while…

njee20
    Free Member

Turtle Wax Zip Wax. Always on sale in Halfords, big bottle lasts absolutely years. Washing up liquid on transmission.

Lifer
    Free Member

Washing up liquid on everything.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Fenwicks ate the bottle it came in, then the masonary paint underneath it, then the stone lintle! No idea what’s in it but it didn’t like being left in the sunshine on the windowsill all year.

Got a litre spray bottle of bio/green/sometjhing or other stuff from halfords, cheep and seems to work.

CheesybeanZ

Aldi caravan cleaner or washing up liquid

cp

fairy.

jota180
    Free Member

washing up liquid

whoopiegoldbars
    Free Member

+1 for Fenwicks. The fact that you can get 10 litres for a tenner out of diluted FS-1 or use it neat as a degreaser is a huge bonus.

marsdenman
    Free Member

+1
    I use it really diluted for simple ‘washing’ duties, spraying in on neat on only in those hard to reach areas 😉

scottalej
    Free Member

Fenwicks

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

micky
    Free Member

Washing up liquid contains salt. Good for rusting up things. I’m not a great fan of cleaners as the degreasing properties are just what you don’t want in most areas on a bike. I use it sparingly on road bike rims and some other areas but I have stopped using it on cassettes and brake rotors, chainrings etc. It finds its way into the seals over time. If you clean often enough you don’t really need it do you? I use fenwicks at the moment. Seems gentle on paint when diluted properly but has good degreasing properties.

Clobber
    Free Member

+1 for muk junkie, cheap on ebay especially if you buy a big pot to share with your mates

RobHilton
    Free Member

Washing up liquid contains salt. Good for rusting up things

Depends what you do with it; if you cover your bike with it neat and don’t bother washing it off it’ll promote electrolytic action between different metals, but a few drops in a bucket and then hosing down after cleaning seems unlikely to cause damage.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

washing up liquid will make all those bolts & nuts rusty over time.
    far too much agressive salt in it .

does not like seals either & eats into grease in a bad way bearings etc .

avoid you tight arses 😉

ThePinkster

Another vote here for Fenwicks although that Muck Junkie stuff looks intersting.

RobHilton
    Free Member

washing up liquid will make all those bolts & nuts rusty over time

Especially the aluminium ones 🙂

So won’t water do that? You know, over time.

29erKeith
    Free Member

LBS had one called “Duck Smart” recently instead of the normal fenwicks and it’s great. Much better at getting of greasy marks of my Genisis CFD which has a white frame, which seems to always look filthy 🙄

nickswolves
    Free Member

You could try buying this and diluting with 900ml water in an old Muc off bottle? Works well and only £3.99.

http://www.green-oil.net/Clean%20Chain%20degreaser.html

saxabar
    Free Member

Genuine question – what is the advantage of these products over plain water?

granny_ring

Anyone used dirtwash cleaner, orange stuff in a spray bottle?

The fenwicks stuff, do you need to use it neat for degreasing chains or can you get away with it watered down a tad?

whoopiegoldbars
    Free Member

The fenwicks stuff, do you need to use it neat for degreasing chains or can you get away with it watered down a tad?

Don’t have to use it neat. I tend to dilute it slightly for stuff like chains and cassettes.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Something to do with the cleaning solution breaking the surface tension of the water. And maybe something to do with -ve ionisation.

But that’s me getting a bit out of my depth.

timber

Bikes were in a stinking state and I was after an easy clean earlier in the year so grabbed some of the road film stuff we use at work.
    Little worried for the seals at first, but seem to have survived so far. No idea what’s in it, but my bikes have never looked so clean. Just hosed down bikes, sprayed on stuff, hosed off – didn’t even need a brush or sponge down.

Spin
    Free Member

It’s like washing an oily frying pan in just water, it wont lift it off because the oil is not usually soluable in water.

Detergents allow the oils to be carried away in the water. As mentioned above it’s all to do with the charge carried by the molecule although other products work in different ways.

DrP

Just cleaned the bike tonight with water only – was much ‘harder’ and more streaky than when I used fenwicks (the dilutive stuff) which I’ve ran out of.

Think I’ll just get more fenwicks…..

DrP

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Cheap Muc-Off alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.