Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Cheap carbon MTB forks
  • guitarmanjon
    Free Member

What’s the name/website of that company that makes or sells cheap carbon forks (around £80 if I recall)?

What the difference between some of these cheap forks and say some Pace or on-one carbon forks?

Ta
    jon

clubber
    Free Member

Exotic or Carbon CC

The difference? More cash in your pocket, less nice logos/brands

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Exotic. That’s the one. Ta very much.

I like the idea of more cash in my pocket.

cynic-al
    Free Member

There’s Massi (sp) too on ebay, alloy 600gm forks for £40 odds.

clubber
    Free Member

Exotic £80ish

Same fork @ £180ish with nice (debateable..) White Bros/Nukeproof branding

trail_rat
    Free Member

back i raise your 80 quid to 110 and give you

took about a week to arrive

actually make the bars and wheel seem connected

ragged them silly at kirroughtree at the 10 under at the weekend and they are solid

look on ebay for a chap called ian ! weighed 530g with an uncut steerer on my scales !

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

look on ebay for a chap called ian

Any more details than that?

Will have a look at Massi too.

clubber
    Free Member

Found that Hylix fork – looks nice but other than that, what does it offer over the Exotic?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HYLIX-MTB-Rigid-Carbon-Fork-XC-Cx-29er-510g-Straight-/270768419992?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f0b0e3498

cynic-al
    Free Member

the carbon ones are branded hylix, I am thinking of a pair.

EDIT Clubber – the small matter of being 350gm lighter?

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

I’ve noticed that some carbon forks are rated as 26″/42cm and some 26″/44cm. Is the 44cm to give a higher front end similar to riding with a suspension fork? Those hylix forks are 45cm. What would that be equivalent to, suspension fork wise?

trail_rat
    Free Member

doesnt ride like a pair of bananas strapped between your steerer and handle bars

its steers like your connected to your wheel

thats specifically why ive been riding bent rc31s for 6 months waiting on the ragley ive yet to ride a stiff (and light) set of tubular carbon forks ….

meanwhile they dampen trailbuzz just as well as my pace did !

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I can’t help thinking those hylix froks look like road forks bolted on to an MTB, good weight though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

guitarman

im using them on a 29er that specifys a 26″ fork of 450mm

420mm is too short for MOST bikes out there today – 420 is non suspension corrected geometry fork really

for refereance a simple fox f100 is 470mm a to c – obviously you have a bit of sag in there too …

my pace were 440mm and i had them in an 80mm corrected frame before i built the 29er – it was steep.

kingtut – its the ninerlook innit …. if only niner didnt just do 490mm forks !

Stoner
    Free Member

actually make the bars and wheel seem connected

*shock horror*

😯

😆

KINGTUT
    Free Member

kingtut – its the ninerlook innit …. if only niner didnt just do 490mm forks !

Yep I see that, on a niner frame (of any other generic slopey carbon frame) they’d look OK on a normal frame they look a little odd, no offence like.

clubber
    Free Member

the small matter of being 350gm lighter?

Are they really that much lighter? Furry nuff if so, I guess..

trail_rat
    Free Member

dunno what exotics weigh but my hylix came in at 530 grams with an uncut steerer.

stoner – you had to fill out the correct paperwork in triplicate and post it out 3 weeks in advance to make a corner with the pace – even then it was like you werent going to make it !

kingtut – with bars like that and a brooks saddle …. im beyond caring what others think about it 😀 – it works for me – and for all its apparent short commings its a very fast and comfortable bike – which was my brief when i started building it 😀

clubber
    Free Member

stoner – you had to fill out the correct paperwork in triplicate and post it out 3 weeks in advance to make a corner with the pace – even then it was like you werent going to make it !

Seriously, though, that’s silly… Not the world’s stiffest fork but they worked just fine.

trail_rat
    Free Member

made my sids look like monster Ts in the stiffness department

im light

but aggressive and ex downhiller(i say ex but after last weekend thinking of doing a couple of races just for the fun factor) – im fine with rigids but i expect them to do what i tell them an to be flexier than my old 08 sids when at speed just leaves me with no confidence

clubber
    Free Member

I’m heavy, I’ve had them too 🙂

I just found that you get used to them very quickly. Same in fact for the original noodle sids…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

kingtut – with bars like that and a brooks saddle …. im beyond caring what others think about it

Fair point, well made.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’m heavy, I’ve had them too

Cycling components, if clubber can’t bend it or break it no one can.

clubber
    Free Member

It’s true, that… 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Clubber – exotic list theirs at 900gm odd IIRC.

I borrowed some early SIDs…rode over a pothole (at medium speed) I wouldn’t think twice about on proper forks..they dived, flexed, binded and catapulted me over the bars. I really wasn’t interested in getting used to them after that.

clubber
    Free Member

Hmmm will have to weigh mine tonight – they really don’t feel that heavy but it’ll be interesting to see.

I always hear about the SIDs but for the 3ish years I had mine I never really found it a problem and finess is definitely not my strongpoint on a bike…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

problem and finess is definitely not my strongpoint on a bike…

You have a strongpoint? 😉

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Thanks for the info trail_rat. I’ll try out my steel rigid forks this weekend (first time out on them) and see how I get on. If I’m a fan and decide I want to shed some weight I’ll measure them up to see if they’re 42/44/45cm and consider some carbon forks.

I’m riding an on one Scandal – I’m guessing it’s not any sort of corrected geometry as it’s advertised as loving 100mm forks.

monkeyboyjc

Carbon Exotic’s with cut steerer (440mm) are 788g for those interested

clubber
    Free Member

Ooh! I have those scales in my kitchen 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

You forgot to wipe the coke residue from those scales.

monkeyboyjc

they are now sadly broken….

The scales not the forks

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Cheap carbon MTB forks’ is closed to new replies.