Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cheap Accomodation Recommendations – Alps
  • chevychase

Anybody got any recommendations for cheap accomodation in Alpe D’Huez? Me and two mates have stupidly signed up to the Mega.

Two of us might head down early and do a couple of days in Morzine first. Any recommendations there too?

I can tent it – but I think the preference is for somewhere with a shower and a bed. (Although maybe could tent it for Morzine and then find something more fitting to my tired bones later on).

chevychase

*cough* *bump*

Anyone? 🙂

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

If you’re saying you are happy to camp, you wont get much more convenient than Camping Le Grand Calme. It’s 2 mins ride from the new lift between Allemond and Oz station. Big pitches and plenty of showers.

chevychase

Thanks @Agentdagnamit – I’m happy to camp, but I suspect my partners in impending death would much prefer beds.

nealc
    Free Member

http://www.gite-auris.com/gite

I stayed here many years ago. Very laid back, good food. about half way up the alpe.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

There are also cabins at that campsite, probably rammed during the Mega though

andrewh
    Free Member

I tried camping when I did it, the horrifically wet one in 2014.
    Even van camping was unpleasant, those in tents must have been really miserable.
    Then we had a brainwave and moved into the underground carpark, brilliant😁

eddd
    Free Member

Staying at the bottom of the hill in Bourg d’Oisans is the cheapest bet. There’s a decent campsite with a pool. The old railway terminal is being converted into a hotel too, not sure if that will be done by the summer or not.

From Bourg d’Oisans you can easily strike L2A too. Morzine is a pretty big detour though…

Marko

We camped when we did the Mega – not a problem.

I’d not bother with Morzine. Assuming you have transport just establish a base and use your spare days to ride 2 alps. Easy drive to Venosc (2 Alps) from the Allemond campsite.

Enough riding in the area for a full week.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I hadn’t known about the new lift at Allemond. Fantastic.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Yeah, it really improves things. The Oz shuttle wasn’t great, especially if you don’t like scratches in your bike.

The lift opens up more options for riding the lower sections in the tree line. Or nipping up and back down to Vaujany for that final ride of the day.

flannol
    Free Member

This place is brilliant

Ferme Noemie in Bourg D’Oisans. Stunning stunning stunning 360 panorama campsite with brilliant facilities. They also have hybrid hut type things etc

Short ride to the bottom of the alp

zerocool

When we did it (years ago in 2007) we just camped at the bottom which was dead handy for the finish and then caught the uplift bus (I think) then used the lifts.

It worked well for us as you could catch the last lift to the top and then ride all the way to the valley floor after they’d shut for the night. This effectively gave us a long extra run every day compared to our friends staying further up who always needed to make sure they caught a ride/lift back up to Alpes D’Huez. And there was a pool to swim in (don’t forget your Speedos) next door as well.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.