Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Charles Kennedy dead at 55 :-(
  • BlobOnAStick
    stumpyjon

How on earth did you get ‘suspicious circumstances’ from that article which in fact says no suspicious circumstances. It’s a sad loss of a relatively young man who had public health issues. Let’s not go all jivehoney just yet.

Harry_the_Spider

Suspicious circumstances?!

Not if you read the article in your link.

RIP Charlie. 🙁

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Blimey…that’s young. 🙁

Politics just got a little more beige I guess.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Wow, that’s such a shame. Always like Charles Kennedy. RIP.

mtbfix

That about sums it up, whatnobeer. Thoughts are with his family.

binners

That’s a real shame. He seemed like a thoroughly decent bloke. And normal. One of very few modern politicians you could actually imagine sitting and having a pint with.

After his last appearance on QT it was obvious he was a man still wrestling his demons.

RIP Charlie 😥

allthepies
    Free Member

RIP.

Seemed a decent, principled bloke but troubled by his demons as binners states.

Pigface
    Free Member

Really sad for his family and friends, RIP

scotroutes

By all accounts, a thoroughly decent guy. Would the LibDems be in their current position had he remained leader? I think not.

His “demon”, alcohol, unfortunately remains a major contributor to illness and early death in the Highlands and Islands.

BlobOnAStick

Interesting, it definitely said suspicious circumstances when I read it, but the article has been changed now.

Anyway, yes, a sad loss. 🙁

konabunny
    Free Member

One of very few modern politicians you could actually imagine sitting and having a pint with.

😕

darrenspink
    Free Member

Big shock for the family, seemed like a nice bloke.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Always came across well, tragic.

martinhutch

Not surprised, but very saddened by this. Whatever his problems with alcohol, he was a decent man, and the most successful Liberal leader of modern times, thanks to his principled opposition to the Iraq war.

TheFlyingOx

Why the euphemisms? “Battling with his demons” indeed. He was an alcoholic, and that very likely had a part to play in his untimely death. Having recently watched my mother-in-law succumb to alcohol-related organ failure after many years of very little NHS intervention, it pisses me right off that it’s treated like some personal, private weakness whose name must never be uttered.

nickc

His family must be devastated.

convert

He seemed to be a politician everyone liked and respected irrespective of any political difference. I’ve always been an advocate that politicians have more worth if they have a life before politics but he started so young rather proving me wrong.

The BBC homepage is rather depressing – Charles Kennedy’s death – with alcohol playing a major part in him not truly fulfilling his potential (and who knows, playing a contributing factor in his death) and Danni Cipriani’s arrest for drink driving just a day or so after showing the rugby world what he was capable of again after years in the wilderness. To some folk, the drink is an evil thing.

Edric64
    Free Member

Little NHS help or not a friend of mine who was a recovered alcoholic who spoke very freely about it said you can get offered all the help there is but until you hold your hands up and admit the problem no amount of intervention will help

jambalaya
    Free Member

Very sad, however he will not be the last talented, genuine and funny man to drink himself to death. I have heard some comments this morning that he should have been given an immediate place in the Lords so that he could have some continuity in his life and some institutional support. Having lost his seat at 55 he may well have felt his career was over and thus his life had no meaning.

@convert yes agreed on Cipriani too.

Very powerful words @Edric, I’ve had some friends who’ve been alcoholics and that’s been exactly my experience.

kcal

That’s a shame, TBH not sure if it’s the highland culture or Westminster (or both) that saw him off.

One of the few decent (if flawed) LibDem politicians I’d have voted for.

Feel for the family. RIP.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Rest in peace. Think it was clear he was struggling after his last appearance on question time, clear pissed. I wondered if losing his seat sent him over the edge. Shame he always did come across as a decent sort.

Thoughts go out to his family.

Edric64
    Free Member

He came across very well,one of those politicians you could like if not agree with .A very sad loss

Rockape63
    Free Member

Rest in peace. Think it was clear he was struggling after his last appearance on question time, clear pissed. I wondered if losing his seat sent him over the edge. Shame he always did come across as a decent sort.

Indeed….you would have thought having a young son would have motivated him to pull himself together, but that just shows how powerful the lure of another drink is. Great shame.

convert

It appears his father died last month too. A tough last month or so the poor man.

Northwind

Terrible news 🙁 Politics is a hard place for a decent man. RIP Charlie.

aracer
    Free Member

RIP – I’m not saying anything new, but I agree with everybody else that he was one of the decent ones. Sadly it’s not a huge surprise given his known alcohol problems and recent series of setbacks in his life. I agree with the sentiment that he should have been fast tracked into the Lords – I suspect he probably was due to be elevated as part of the next batch, but things don’t work that fast (though you’d like to think somebody would have given him the nod that he was getting that so he had something to look ahead to).

seosamh77
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    I agree with the sentiment that he should have been fast tracked into the Lords

Canny agree with that at all tbh.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

A sad loss. I think he was an ‘old school’ politician that no matter your political views you listened to his viewpoint and you respected it. Unlike the current batch of self serving soundbite spouters.

gordimhor

I campaigned for the SNP against Charles Kennedy at this election but wish to say how shocked and saddened I am to hear of his death.I believe that he still had much to offer public life particularly during the forthcoming eu referendum. My condolences to his family

Junkyard
    Free Member

As others note that rare thing a decent person in politics with cross party appeal and respect.

A sad loss

aracer
    Free Member

Canny agree with that at all tbh.
    [/quote]

Because you disagree with the existence of the HoL or you don’t think he’d have had anything useful to bring to that chamber?

bigjim

Better get in before the usual trolls turn this into yet another stupid stw Scottish politics argument thread which seems to be starting already.

Yes very sad news, he used to come to our school near Inverness to enthuse us about politics and debating. Was always on the local radio and very active in the community, a very decent chap, the Highlands have lost their most public face.

bencooper
    Free Member

That’s really very sad – the Lib Dems were mad to get rid of him as leader, he was a very decent, good man.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

RIP especially if he was battling inner demons.

Respect his willingness to back principles.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@gordi he had a drink problem, its not surprising he has passed away. It’s very sad but it’s not an unexpected outcome, particularly given his age having lost his seat/career and also his father (given the post above).

richmtb

He took a principled stand against the Iraq war against lots of opposition, he also voted against the Tory / LD coalition in 2010.

A decent principled politician, well like by his supporters and opponents.

RIP

freeagent
    Free Member

As others have said – a good bloke who was respected by Political friends and opponents alike.
    It is a shame about the boozing, as he was a force for good in British politics.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks for the link tmh.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Charles Kennedy dead at 55 :-(’ is closed to new replies.