Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • chain wear and lubes
  • sailor74
    Free Member

I replace my chain between 0.75 and 1% wear. It seems though that i am changing them all the time, generally a chain lasts me around 6 weeks, i ride on average 3 times a week about 8 hours, all off road.

i have been using dry lubes and wonder if maybe that is part of the problem. Anyone else using dry lubes and finding chain wear is increasing?

PJay
    Free Member

I use dry lubes and find that the chain lasts well enough (although I was a tad annoyed after changing a chain at .75% wear to find that the cassette appears to have worn – it was the first change of chains too). Lube is I believe only part of the equation and I think that it's generally accepted that a clean dry chain will last longer that a dirty lubed one. I've never been that fastidious with chain cleaning but I tend to give it a quick wipe down and relube after each ride. Bear in mind too that dry lubes don't seem to last as well as wet ones so frequent relubing might help.

sailor74
    Free Member

i wash and lube after every ride, certainly after every other ride when its dry.
    chain is degreased made spotless and fresh lube applied. have noticed some dry lubes, generally the teflon type ones, tend to run more noisy than PTFE and wet lubes, could this be a sign its giving less protection?

or maybe everyone else goes through chains every 6 to 8 weeks.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I don't go through chains anywhere near that fast and I ride all day, every day! I use dry lube when I can be bothered to lube at all.

nickc

Where you ride has, I think, more bearing than what lube you use.

Inbred456
    Free Member

I was told by an experienced LBS owner to wipe the chain clean then re lube and forget about it. I used to scrub the chain then degrease it, flush it, then dry etc etc. What a faf on. Chain used to wear like billy oh. Now I do what he said and forget about it. His reasoning was that I was washing the dirt out of the bushes etc and this was in turn slackening the chain etc. Also the dirt was holding the lubrication and to some extent helping the lube process. All I know is that I am replacing the chain at much longer intervals and saving time on cleaning the chain, spending longer on the Bike. Its a win win!

Makes a coffee and waits for the onslaught.

jonb
    Free Member

sailor74 – Member

i wash and lube after every ride, certainly after every other ride when its dry.
    chain is degreased made spotless and fresh lube applied. have noticed some dry lubes, generally the teflon type ones, tend to run more noisy than PTFE and wet lubes, could this be a sign its giving less protection?

Teflon is PTFE (poly tetrafluoroethylene)

Hal
    Free Member

I spray with TF2 before and after every ride (the chain that is) the chain is a connex wiperman and its lasted over a year, not long renewed it, ive had no problems with the chain or cassete with the new wiperman, i get them from chain reaction.

walla24
    Free Member

have try with rock n roll chain lube, it cleans and lubes. maybe a hardercore chain is in need like a KMC K9?

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

That sounds about normal. Winter wear (main winter lube is mud), is much faster than summer wear. I do my best wiping gunk off every ride, but life is too short to remove chain every day and spend 15 minutes re-doing it properly. I'll usually wipe down and lube twice a week in summer, and every day in winter.
    Overall I'd say my chains average the same life that you are getting.

steelytail
    Free Member

I have followed the advice that KMC Chains have in the box with their chains. This has dramatically improved the life of my chains. Much the same as Inbred456.-

Wash with water. Clean and dry with a rag, try to get as clean much muck off as possible. Apply lube. Wipe off excess.

http://www.kmcchain.com/index.php?ln=en&fn=service

It works. Don't use degreaser. It removes the grease from inside the rollers and increases the wear rate on the chain.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘chain wear and lubes’ is closed to new replies.