Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Chain Reaction BC discount – change of Ts&Cs
  • submarined
    Free Member

Ignoring the expiry date that’s cocked up a bit, my membership is showing as ‘£10 off orders over £150’…

If this is the shape of things to come, then that’s a bit arse, especially with the potential uselessness of 10% Evans discount… (Ride membership, BTW)

EDIT: This – https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/20141218-Chain-Reaction-10–off-for-Britsh-Cycling-Members-0 Their site is half updated, with references all over the site still quoting at 10% but pointing to that page.

SaxonRider

You’re right. I saw this change and thought, well that’s 10% off I will get to use A LOT less often, and subsequently custom that CRC will get as a result. Not that I would hold a business to ransom, but when I have needed stuff that approached the £100 mark, I would have always pushed it up to £100+ and done my shopping at CRC. But £150 just makes it that much harder to excuse, and therefore a lot less likely.

submarined
    Free Member

Indeed, but more crucially the fact that it’s not 10% any more. Just a whole ten pounds. Harrumph.

It’s not the only reason I joined, but it was a great benefit.

timidwheeler

That’s a big change.  Thanks for the warning.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m surprised they changed the T&C rather than just cracking down on the blatant fraudulent use on here!

ndthornton
    Free Member

my only reason for being a member seems to have gone

…Or is the Halfords discount worth it…?

fathomer

Bit of a shitter to be honest. Halfords discount also changing I think, to a code system like the CRC discount and they properly check it’s bike stuff now as well.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

…Or is the Halfords discount worth it…?

They price match CRC so as long as it’s something they stock. I use it a lot.

Dunno if it’s changed recently but I’ve always just used my card and they scan a barcode on the till for the discount. Never had none bike stuff refused although I’ve not tried anything too blatant like car parts.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Halfords discount also changing I think, to a code system like the CRC discount and they properly check it’s bike stuff now as well.

It doesn’t suggest it’s limited to one purchase a month mind, i guess just b cut down on people lending their cards.

Indeed, but more crucially the fact that it’s not 10% any more. Just a whole ten pounds. Harrumph.

And makes it worse than most of the offers on the front page of crc too.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

clear2018 gets £10 off a £75 spend on clearance..

thats a shame, although i normally club together with a few mates to get the spend, although £10 off doesnt really cut it compared to 10%

ta11pau1

Well that’s a bit crap isn’t it, it was great if you were buying a bike as it was a guaranteed 10% off the retail price. Looks like I’ll be going elsewhere for my next bike…

Simon

That is rubbish. I renewed my membership in the summer. The CRC 10% off £99 was the only reason I went with BC rather than Cycling UK.

I think it’s only just changed I used my September code last week and got 10%off a £99 order.

mrpeaski
    Free Member

Halfords is still 10% but you’re supposed to show a discount voucher (either printed or electronically) from your British Cycling dashboard as well.

I went in today (for some of their new lights) but wasn’t asked for the voucher.

All of these new T&C’s started today

geex
    Free Member

I honestly can’t see how CRC made any money at all on my last bike. it was already hugely discounted and I used BC to get a further 10% and at 4months old it’d already had £1400 of warranty returned parts replaced/sent out to me and been shipped to Ireland and back for a repair..

CRC’re already cheap as and offer a price match if thy’re not the cheapest and folk are spitting the dummy about a further 10% they think they’re entitled to for joining a corrupt orginisation they probably had no other use for.

cooie

Well they’ve just lost themselves a lot of custom on larger products.

Bought one of the 1600 lumen lights on Saturday from Halfords. Had the BC voucher on phone,but didn’t have card my card, and the chap was fine, didn’t even scan the voucher 🙂

poah
    Free Member

4months old it’d already had £1400 of warranty returned parts replaced/sent out to me and been shipped to Ireland and back for a repair

they don’t pay for that themselves.

I’ve been using the new customer £10 off £50 a few times recently.

dirkpitt74

Well that’s a new bike purchase out of the window then for a while.
    Will also rethink where I get my spares & parts from – will be waiting a bit longer for delivery but will now look further afield to Germany etc.

Is it worth paying for the membership now??

ndthornton
    Free Member

folk are spitting the dummy about a further 10% they think they’re entitled to for joining a corrupt orginisation they probably had no other use for.

Yeah what’s your point….that’s the only reason I bought the membership – what else does it offer. BC ought to compensate me for the remainder of my year subscription.

FOG

Too right why else would a non racing , non spectating person join BC? I only joined this year because I was going to buy a bike from CRC which turned out to be out of stock. Seems a straightforward transaction to me , you join because they promise something, then they don’t deliver so I for one will definitely not renew

GolfChick
    Free Member

thats a shame, personal cut backs would of meant I’d be really struggling to justify it for Januarys renewal. Now that justification is non existent. The halfords stuff isn’t enough to make me keep it so goodbye membership.

geex
    Free Member

they don’t pay for that themselves.

Who don’t pay for what themselves?
    The bike and components replaced were all CRC owned brands. So who does pay for the replacement parts?
    The warranty fairies?

vincienup
    Free Member

Why is it relevant who pays for the warranty returns/replacement?  Those are consumer protections, and the idea is that companies persistently selling good that are unfit for sale will be driven out of business by the cost.  As CRC are still in business, you can rest assured that they at least try so sell products that are fit for use.

geex
    Free Member

I don’t actually care. (Just replying to poah’s odd reply to mine.)

My original point was CRC already offer great pricing and service.
    so I won’t be stopping using them because the BC offer isn’t quite as good

andy10011
    Free Member

They charge for collectplus now too

Garry_Lager

Yeah what’s your point….that’s the only reason I bought the membership – what else does it offer. BC ought to compensate me for the remainder of my year subscription.

Third party accident insurance? I realise you could get this separately from lots of places but it seems a solid thing to offer if you commute by bike. It used to be the only reason I had a CTC membership.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Chain Reaction BC discount – change of Ts&Cs’ is closed to new replies.