Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Chain lube used by the works for the Dakar KTM team – is it too much for MTB?
  • Bullet

If this can survive Dakar conditions why not use it for MTB chains? Too much stiction?

Motorex Adventure Chain Lube https://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/workshop__and__tools/motocross_oils/motorex_motocross_oils/motorex_adventure_chain_lube_-_500ml_spray?msclkid=066705c4136a1e5abc2265c1fd0ee085

mashr

No idea but I’ve just learned about o-ring and x-ring chains as a result of looking!

posiwev
    Free Member

Definitely too glutinous for MTB, motorcycle spray oil is designed to be ‘anti fling’

posiwev
    Free Member

BTW O & X chains negate the need to soak in putoline wax and allow riveting rather than split links.

paton
    Free Member

Gosh. Lubricants for chains. What will people think of next?

https://www.putoline.com/en/catalogue/maintenance_chain-lubricants/

singlespeedstu

By contrast I used to use putoline wax on my o ring chains and they were also held together with a split link.😂

You can rivet most chains not just o rings.🙂

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Gosh. Lubricants for chains. What will people think of next?

Copy & pasting?

Trimix
    Free Member

I did some of the Dakar routes (not racing, just following the same routes at our own pace) In preparation we removed all the lube from the chains so they didn’t pick up any sand / grit. For the 2 weeks we were riding round, the chains were fine and stayed clean. Following the trip I seem to recall I continued to use mine for a year or two more.

One section we did took the pros 4hrs, it took us about 12hrs and at the time we were racing in the UK pretty much every weekend.

Bullet

Thanks all for the sensible answers. @Trimix – riding the routes must have been some experience! You rode with no lube at all? I can see the logic, even the Woburn sand grinds like mad but surprised you got away with it?

mashr

I can see the logic, even the Woburn sand grinds like mad but surprised you got away with it?

It’s a standard approach for CX races on sandy courses too. No lube > the risk of picking up sand

pampmyride
    Free Member

No lube in sand, but remember X ring & O ring chains are somewhat tougher than yer average mtb chain… FYI _ I ran a std (not HD) chain on my trials motos & for several years just used a spray of WD40. Chains lasted one year regardless. In Sussex Mud & no Putoline involved!!

coatesy
    Free Member

I used to use motorbike lubes on mine with far better results than MTB specific stuff many years back (Castrol wax was my favourite, but was discontinued, now using White Lightning clean ride), never found the too thick/anti fling argument to be an issue.

posiwev
    Free Member

<You can rivet most chains not just o rings.🙂>

You can, but not easy to remove to dunk in wax though is it ?????<

X ring with scotoiler is the answer

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Chain lube used by the works for the Dakar KTM team – is it too much for MTB?’ is closed to new replies.