Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Chain cleaning before re-lube?
  • benz
    Free Member

So took chain off, popped it into an empty milk container, added some petrol, lid on and shook for a while.

Chain out, wiped with a cloth the re-lube with the finest chain lube then checked either uv light.

Any other way?

doodlebug
    Free Member

Every time 🙂

cloudnine
    Free Member

After dousing it in petrol isnt it a bit tempting to just put a match to it?
    Doodlebug ^ isnt that one of those fryers that uses a teaspoon of oil?? I guess its a low fat option and will cut down the chains cholestrol if it isnt off sneaking some full fat wet line when its alone in the shed.

Northwind

I do much the same but with paraffin as the solvent. You’ve got to be sure to relube right after a full degrease though, getting lubricant back into teh rollers- I soak mine in melted wax to lube so no problems there but I can see it’d be easy to basically just lube the outside.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

wash with hose, brush off crap apply Rock n Roll Lube.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Cheap chain, wash with hose, blast with gt85, lube with old engine oil or cheap chain lube and replace chain immediately on 0.75 wear.

timba
    Free Member

This email from a product manager at SRAM reproduced as a forum post. Chain cleaning is towards the bottom…http://rbentonline.org/YaBB.pl?num=1223403221

Macavity
    Free Member
    leffeboy

Brush on some degreaser. Get on with washing rest of bike. When finished come back and rinse off degreaser. Let dry. Relube

poly
    Free Member

“After dousing it in petrol isnt it a bit tempting to just put a match to it?”

Well after having some old now very contaminated fuel to dispose of I thought this was the perfect solution… placed in metal wheel barrow and ignited I can confirm:

– old petrol is harder to light than in the movies.
    – washing line is remarkably quick to melt/burn.
    – wives are never understanding that a new washing line is really a bonus!
    – even a pint of petrol burns for a surprisingly long time.
    – dry powder fire extinguishers make an incredible mess!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Chain cleaning before re-lube?’ is closed to new replies.